Trevor Lawrence Idolizes Peyton

CMcEver

Trevor Lawrence Idolizes Peyton Manning

Lawrence grew up in a family of Tennessee fans and his favorite player was Peyton Manning. Lawrence spoke with ESPN about why he looked up to the former NFL great.
“My favorite player was Peyton Manning,” Lawrence told ESPN. “That’s why I wear 16. It was his number at Tennessee…He was so in control of the offense, he always knew everything that was going on. He always made checks. Just a really smart player. That’s what I like about him.”

Thought this was interesting, and begs the question, where were we at in his recruitment if his family was Tennessee fans? Also, considering he wasn't even born when Peyton played at Tennessee, that's interesting he would wear Peyton's college number.

Trevor Lawrence Idolizes Peyton Manning

Thought this was interesting, and begs the question, where were we at in his recruitment if his family was Tennessee fans? Also, considering he wasn't even born when Peyton played at Tennessee, that's interesting he would wear Peyton's college number.
Lawrence was born in Knoxville and lived in Johnson City until middle school; I think his folks are Tennessee fans. He took a lot of unofficial visits to Tennessee during high school.

That's one thing to idolize Peyton and like Tennessee as a kid. It's quite another to seriously consider signing with Tennessee as a highly-rated senior in high school. If Tennessee was a stud program in the mid 2010s, Lawrence probably comes to Tennessee. But, the program being as it was, I don't think we ever had a great chance with him.

Reactions: sccshortstop
I know his cousin whose family is from Farragut. A lot of Trevor’s family is in East Tennessee. We should have had Trevor, Tee Higgins, and Amari Rodgers.

Reactions: Remy
Lawrence was born in Knoxville and lived in Johnson City until middle school; I think his folks are Tennessee fans. He took a lot of unofficial visits to Tennessee during high school.

That's one thing to idolize Peyton and like Tennessee as a kid. It's quite another to seriously consider signing with Tennessee as a highly-rated senior in high school. If Tennessee was a stud program in the mid 2010s, Lawrence probably comes to Tennessee. But, the program being as it was, I don't think we ever had a great chance with him.
Oh, I agree, I was just unsure if the coaching change timing had any impact, or if we ever had a realistic chance with him. I, admittedly, haven't followed recruiting very closely in a few years, but definitely thought it was interesting why he is wearing #16, considering that was before he was even born.

Oh, I agree, I was just unsure if the coaching change timing had any impact, or if we ever had a realistic chance with him. I, admittedly, haven't followed recruiting very closely in a few years, but definitely thought it was interesting why he is wearing #16, considering that was before he was even born.
Supposedly Butch wasn’t all that interested in him because he didn’t think Trevor fit well into his offensive system.

Reactions: Alto1 and kiddiedoc

I don't think that is true because of the sheer number of visits he made to Tennessee even when we were losing a lot of games. If Tennessee had just been running a pro-style offense at the time, I think they would have signed Trevor Lawrence. Either way, it's dumb to say they never had a great chance with him. He visited the campus many times.

Reactions: LittleCat and Alto1
Supposedly Butch wasn’t all that interested in him because he didn’t think Trevor fit well into his offensive system.

Great coaches build their team around the ability of the players they have. No one will ever claim Butch was a great coach.

When you have talent laid in your lap like that and you piss it away, you need to get a real estate license.

Reactions: StarRaider
I don't think that is true because of the sheer number of visits he made to Tennessee even when we were losing a lot of games. If Tennessee had just been running a pro-style offense at the time, I think they would have signed Trevor Lawrence. Either way, it's dumb to say they never had a great chance with him. He visited the campus many times.
Kids do that though. Hell, kids even visit other schools after they've verbally committed, then sign with the school they originally verbally committed to.

Did Lawrence visit during his senior year, right before he made a decision? I don't believe so. He visited a lot earlier in high school - I mean he is/was a fan, so that makes sense. He's a kid and got the chance to, so why not?

Honestly, Lawrence seems like a great kid who deserves the best.

Butch is a pure idiot who still wouldn’t win with this kind of QB talent.

Reactions: RollerVol
I remember another Heisman winning QB that UT missed on growing in their own back yard in Johnson City. Imagine how different history would be if UT landed him. Thank god you didn't.
xxx_steve-spurrier-steve-spurrier-dec_55152603.jpg

Reactions: 05_never_again
Lol and the dumbass rolled QD out there in 17. The way the story is told is Butch wouldn't even give him the time of day and sent Walt Wells or Bob Wells ( cant remember which one) to tell Trevor he would never play football in the SEC

Butch was a walking disaster that couldn’t recognize talent and even when it fell in his lap he didn’t know what to do with it. Hopefully he is much better at waxing Alabama players new rides than anything football related.

Reactions: Alto1
Only BJ could be incompetent enough to not sign this kid and realize you should mold an offense around his skills. Hell, he's even wearing Butch's beloved alternate grey!

I saw the interview. I was scratching my head going why don't you come here and beat Peyton's records then? But players go to winning programs and we've looked like a sack of turds most of the time for the past 12 years.

I saw the interview. I was scratching my head going why don't you come here and beat Peyton's records then? But players go to winning programs and we've looked like a sack of turds most of the time for the past 12 years.
Because the program was a model of incompetence around the time he was considering schools and committing.

Put yourself in his shoes. You grew up partially in Tennessee, partially in North Georgia, and a huge fan of Peyton Manning/Tennessee. Your folks are Tennessee fans. However, you're also a 5-star recruit with the opportunity to play anywhere in the country. Over the last few years, Derek Dooley and now Butch Jones are Tennessee's coaches. Would you do to Tennessee?

VN Store

Back