BTO’s Missouri postgame report

Wow. Great win. Didn’t see this blowout coming after the first 10 minutes.

Well done BTO, great write up as usual.

Funny thing, anybody catch Schofield leaving Bowden hanging after the free throw? Bowden slapped his own hand and then gave Admiral hell for it. It just looks like these guys are having fun

I'm so glad to see Turner out there again, playing well. This team is amazing.
I am indisputably Turner's #1 fan, but I do have to complain about those 2 charges. I like that he's not afraid to drive it, but maybe he just needs to make better decisions. I'll chalk it up to rust for now. I'm glad he's back too. I think the fact that he swished that wide open 3 is a sign that his head is right now

The Lofton/Pearl era teams were great too but this is just different and really special. GBO.

Agree, I loved those teams, lots of fun raining 3s and a bunch of great wins. However, they could get bogged down in grind out games, especially in tournaments.

This team doesn’t have any significant weakness. I suspect we will do better in the post season tourneys.

The defensive intensity in the last 10 mins of the first half was impressive. Led to the late surge with Admiral and Williams not scoring.

Reactions: aurabass
Kyle Alexander is playing like a grown a$$ man and that makes this team exponentially harder to beat.
I remember watching his freshman year and thinking he may never be much of a player, but it goes to show you what a good kid with good coaching and good teammates can accomplish. You can see progress in these kids year to year from the coaching, something we didn't always see in the past.

Agree, I loved those teams, lots of fun raining 3s and a bunch of great wins. However, they could get bogged down in grind out games, especially in tournaments.

This team doesn’t have any significant weakness. I suspect we will do better in the post season tourneys.

I'd still much rather play this team than a healthy 2008 squad. This team plays well together and is supremely good. That team played well together and had all time great talent on top of guys who were just as tough as Admiral or Williams (and anyone who thinks otherwise can go get a few chemo treatments and see how they feel.)

I've said it repeatedly and people don't like the reality of it, but until this team gets beyond an elite eight it really doesn't matter, and its likely nothing we do will ever top that #1 vs #2 game with Memphis either, but thats not their fault as it requires an elite opponent as well. Gonzaga and Kansas both have been good. That Memphis squad was all time good.

Reactions: Frozevol
Something else that stood out in this game and the last couple games is it appears Pons has regressed a bit. I hoped that inserting him in the starting lineup would make him blossom, but hasn't happened yet?

We need to remember Pons is still one of the younger players, and quite raw. There will be ups and downs, which will be on display for everyone to see. As good as Barnes is at player development he doesn’t have a magic wand to make it happen immediately.

He’ll be alright and will work through it because he’s part of a team that’s got his back.

I'd still much rather play this team than a healthy 2008 squad. This team plays well together and is supremely good. That team played well together and had all time great talent on top of guys who were just as tough as Admiral or Williams (and anyone who thinks otherwise can go get a few chemo treatments and see how they feel.)

I've said it repeatedly and people don't like the reality of it, but until this team gets beyond an elite eight it really doesn't matter, and its likely nothing we do will ever top that #1 vs #2 game with Memphis either, but thats not their fault as it requires an elite opponent as well. Gonzaga and Kansas both have been good. That Memphis squad was all time good.

This guy

I have no idea how good Mizzou is, but I think outside of the Gonzaga game,this may be the most impressed with this team I have been when your 2 studs have bad nights and Bone,Kyle,and Bowden with Lamonte feeling his way back take up the slack and beat down a SEC team by 24 on the road... this game made me feel better about this team overall than any game yet just because the odds are low that grant and the Admiral will both have off games the same night again

I've said it repeatedly and people don't like the reality of it, but until this team gets beyond an elite eight it really doesn't matter

The joy I feel watching this team tells me it does matter.

Enjoy the ride while it happens. I doubt anyone will regret any time spent watching this special team, even if they don’t make it to the Elite Eight.

Something has happened to Alexander. He has become a possessed, violent rebounder with attitude to match in the past week. Whatever it is, I hope he never snaps out of it. Dude is playing for draft spot right now and the effort is unrecognizable.

Speaking of possessed...Jordan Bowden, wow. Where did the aggression towards the basket and midrange game come from?!?!? Man, I hope he keeps up that same level of confidence.

Bone...I have maintained that he might be a consistent jumper away from this being his last year at Tennessee. That feeling grows with every game, and the jumper may not matter with his play in every other category, even though he has seemingly improved the jumper a bit.
They challenged him prior to SEC play and he has responded. If he keep this up... watch out...

When your best player is also your conference's reigning Player of the Year and his stat line after a game looks like this:

Grant Williams: 22 mins, 1-8 fg's, 2-2 ft's, 4 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 0 steals, 0 blocks and 5 fouls

... and you won a conference game by 24 points on the road? You are pretty damn good. (but let's hope this never happens again for Grant. We need him.)

2 more observations to go with your great report BTO

With approx 6 min to go up 20 - 22 there was a short stretch after the screen crawl said: No UT turnovers since 6min in the First Half
Then we managed to get 2 TO's, a foul or 2, and missed shots as the lead dropped to 16 - That screen message was a jinx.
But the VOLS then got tough again - they played like the game was tied all the way down to the final whistle. When Alexander went down I thought
'OH NOES" but he got right back up like the beast he has become.
They looked like they could go on playing for another 30 minutes - and were enjoying every play on the court.

Even Fulkerson made some beastly moves and Pons dropped the final 3 like he was on fire for 20 seconds.
Even Grant having a season low performance made a huge screen assist to give Fulkerson (?) a layup.

It is a great thing to see these guys go on the road vs a tough D - have the worst off night for our leading 2 scorers - and still DOMINATE with another EMPHATIC WIN.

VN Store

Back