If, as speculated, that was Alabama's best team of all time....

Lawrence is a freshman, so we'll have a lot of years to think about what he really can do. I think Clemson had one of those crazy games where everything goes your way.

wasn't Bamas best team - the SEC was down. It was maybe Bamas best offense since some wishbone days under the Bear but the defense gave up points to almost everyone.

One game against a very good fired up opponent that played very well. If they played 10 times Bama would probably win 6.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Hope this starts to sour Saban against coaching into his 80s. I was so sick of Bama I didn't even watch the game. Only good he's done for the sport is to force other coaches to get better. Please retire old man.

I never thought that was Saban's best team of all time. It might have been Saban's best offense, and Tua is certainly Saban's best QB, but that doesn't make it the best team. Some of Saban's previous defenses were better than this year's, and those big margins of victory during the regular season were against a bunch of scrubs.

Reactions: rs16 and peaygolf
I never thought that was Saban's best team of all time. It might have been Saban's best offense, and Tua is certainly Saban's best QB, but that doesn't make it the best team. Some of Saban's previous defenses were better than this year's, and those big margins of victory during the regular season were against a bunch of scrubs.

Yep......no doubt about that. Nobody ever talked about their weak schedule, just Clemson and ND's. But, but, they play in the SEC.........:oops:

One game against a very good fired up opponent that played very well. If they played 10 times Bama would probably win 6.

You seem to have forgotten Bama escaped with a national title last year against Clemson. Clemson now owns Bama and it was obvious last night.

As Lee Corso says "not so fast my friend". This was a beatdown, not just a fluke win. I question how good the SEC really was this season. Georgia had Bama on the ropes for 3 quarters. Their post season play was unimpressive.
I'm not saying all of a sudden Bama sucks, they are good. But this Clemson team looked better. I've never liked the hypothetical "let's play 10 times and see what happens" Each team had a shot on a neutral field and Clemson dominated. I think both teams played hard. Clemson's QB looked like he handled the pocket pressure nicely and was on the money with his passes. People have been crowing about TUA ad-nauseum for ever. He got outplayed at the QB spot last night.

Having said all that, could this be the crack forming in the Saban dike we've all been waiting for? This game can definitely be used as recruiting canon fodder. A changing of the guard seems to be occurring. And Dabo, being an Alabama alum, will have the Bama faithful foaming at the mouth for him to come there. I know they love Saban, but he's getting old. Dabo (in their minds) could bring another decade of dominance to the "capstone". How much would you pay?

As for Pruitt, his coaching worth is still an unwritten book. Bama would poach Dabo long before Pruitt and that might end up being good for UT. Only variable is how comfortable is Dabo at Clemson?

As Lee Corso says "not so fast my friend". This was a beatdown, not just a fluke win. I question how good the SEC really was this season. Georgia had Bama on the ropes for 3 quarters. Their post season play was unimpressive.
I'm not saying all of a sudden Bama sucks, they are good. But this Clemson team looked better. I've never liked the hypothetical "let's play 10 times and see what happens" Each team had a shot on a neutral field and Clemson dominated. I think both teams played hard. Clemson's QB looked like he handled the pocket pressure nicely and was on the money with his passes. People have been crowing about TUA ad-nauseum for ever. He got outplayed at the QB spot last night.

Having said all that, could this be the crack forming in the Saban dike we've all been waiting for? This game can definitely be used as recruiting canon fodder. A changing of the guard seems to be occurring. And Dabo, being an Alabama alum, will have the Bama faithful foaming at the mouth for him to come there. I know they love Saban, but he's getting old. Dabo (in their minds) could bring another decade of dominance to the "capstone". How much would you pay?

As for Pruitt, his coaching worth is still an unwritten book. Bama would poach Dabo long before Pruitt and that might end up being good for UT. Only variable is how comfortable is Dabo at Clemson?

I'm no soothsayer....but I'd say he pretty freaking comfortable there.:rolleyes:

Reality is their Defense has not been the same without Pruitt this year - and definitely not in the championship game. I think with all the bits about OC change, etc. the players came out flat and unmotivated, even Tua - who is still probably not 100% after his injury. It happens to every team - but I am just going to chalk it down to the Curse of Butch. :p

I mean, they shut out an LSU team that finished 6th in the country.

But yeah, this was far from Saban's best defense. The youth in the secondary (coupled with the early injury to Diggs) was painfully obvious at times, particularly last night. The cycle for Bama defenses tends to be up in odd numbered years, so I have high hopes for 2019.

I mean, they shut out an LSU team that finished 6th in the country.

But yeah, this was far from Saban's best defense. The youth in the secondary (coupled with the early injury to Diggs) was painfully obvious at times, particularly last night. The cycle for Bama defenses tends to be up in odd numbered years, so I have high hopes for 2019.
LSU's offense was pretty up and down though. They showed out against Miami, Georgia, A&M, and UCF, but aside from Georgia those teams didn't play great D. Against the better defenses they faced, their offense was just OK at times.

The secondary was the weakest part of your D, for sure. D-line and LB were very good. I think it is telling that y'all started Surtain, a true freshman, at CB. I know he was an extremely highly recruited guy but you don't see many true freshman starting, especially at that position, at Alabama.

I think it is telling that y'all started Surtain, a true freshman, at CB. I know he was an extremely highly recruited guy but you don't see many true freshman starting, especially at that position, at Alabama.

Between early exits and injury there wasn't much choice. The good news for Bama is guys got experience. Even with the loss of some of the guys in the front 7, I think Bama's defense will see a notable improvement next year.

I know many of you have serious man crush on Pruitt but Alabama lost their top 6 DBs, best pass rushers from last yr. They didn't have quality replacements for guys like Fitzpatrick, etc in the secondary and without pass rusher they weren't near as good as they have been irregardless who the DC is. Add to it Venable absolutely schooled the offensive staff and it's a 28pt butt kickin.

I know many of you have serious man crush on Pruitt but Alabama lost their top 6 DBs, best pass rushers from last yr. They didn't have quality replacements for guys like Fitzpatrick, etc in the secondary and without pass rusher they weren't near as good as they have been irregardless who the DC is. Add to it Venable absolutely schooled the offensive staff and it's a 28pt butt kickin.
When Alabama doesn't have quality replacements for guys in the secondary, it still results in a top 15 defense and them going undefeated all the way to the national title game, where they then get blown out. When we, or most other college teams, don't have quality replacements for guys who left it results in 4-8/5-7. Must be nice.

When Alabama doesn't have quality replacements for guys in the secondary, it still results in a top 15 defense and them going undefeated all the way to the national title game, where they then get blown out. When we, or most other college teams, don't have quality replacements for guys who left it results in 4-8/5-7. Must be nice.

That is true but anyone who could keep the bama DL off their QB bascially threw the ball pretty good on bama this year, including the legend of Kellar Chryst

Hope this starts to sour Saban against coaching into his 80s. I was so sick of Bama I didn't even watch the game. Only good he's done for the sport is to force other coaches to get better. Please retire old man.
I’m calling it now. He will be done before 2022...

Exactly. Plus they lost diggs and Lewis to injuries right off the bat that would have made the mtn easier to climb. I'd say this was the worse defense Saban has fielded and a lot of that was losing so much and maybe (not sure) they had another new D coordinator? They change coordinators more than I change underwear so can't keep up. Secondary and linebacker was mediocre compared to previous Bama D's. Maybe they bounce back some next year but I doubt it and hope not. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't make the playoffs next year. I can see A&M and LSU giving them fits next year. Plus Auburn is suppose to suck so they'll prob be world beaters. Most bipolar team ever

VN Store

Back