You know,when Barnes was first hired

I will accept a 1 or 2 seed as complete success. The NCAA tournament is 50% luck, ask Virginia. Any team that gets hot can knock you out. That being said, if we don't make the final 4 with this team its doubtful we ever will.

If we lose on a last second shot to a 3 seed in the S16 I won’t be calling for heads to roll but I think this team could win a title

I never really hated the hire but I was afraid he was damaged goods. I figured he'd be here 5-6 years and get us back to a bubble team and making the NCAAT, then retire and hand the reigns over to a younger coach. And I did question his ability to recruit a few years ago.

It was also very frustrating having so many drive-bys come around talking about Bruce Pearl and how Auburn was going to be a championship team and we were going to have to pull out the black curtains and hope Barnes could make the NIT. So now I'm overjoyed that we're having this success (so far, still a long ways to go) and Pearl has worked out for Auburn so seems like a win-win for everyone.

Reactions: cncchris33
One step at a time, for sure, but Barnes knows his stuff. Am just enjoying the ride with these guys. The business like approach to UGA, when I thought it could be a tough outing, is making me believe they've really got the killer instinct with an underdog mentality...that, if we carry thru the year, will take us deep in the tourney.

I think Barnes' biggest challenge will be continuing the culture when Admiral, Grant and Alexander leave. I think he'll continue to excel, but just like Villanova this year is struggling, think we may take a temporary step back while he builds back up and finds the next players who will take the team and put it on their backs like Admiral and Grant. All of this is good, and think Barnes has ability now to pick players who fit his culture...but possibly at a higher level of talent. Barnes talks about Tennessee really being a great basketball state...would be awesome to see us unseed KY from the top of the SEC pecking order over a number of years!
Why can't we just enjoy the best season of basketball that Tennessee has ever known and save the pointless worrying for later.

I watched Mostella have a good outing against Belmont the other night.I think he had around 20 and Jacksonville St. gave Belmont 1st conf. loss.I think his problem was complying with some rules at UT!

I didn't see the term washed up used, but quite a few thought it was his retirement gig. Don't think anyone has retained that idea at this point.

I hope it is his retirement gig. Meaning I hope he coaches here until he decides to retire.

I never really hated the hire but I was afraid he was damaged goods. I figured he'd be here 5-6 years and get us back to a bubble team and making the NCAAT, then retire and hand the reigns over to a younger coach. And I did question his ability to recruit a few years ago.

It was also very frustrating having so many drive-bys come around talking about Bruce Pearl and how Auburn was going to be a championship team and we were going to have to pull out the black curtains and hope Barnes could make the NIT. So now I'm overjoyed that we're having this success (so far, still a long ways to go) and Pearl has worked out for Auburn so seems like a win-win for everyone.
Exactly this.

IIRC, AD said that Barnes didn't want Jabari to leave. But that was likely partly because he did it in the middle of the season.

I wonder if Tariq Owens and Willie Carmichael regret their decisions.
I don't know if Tariq regrets his desicion or not, but the one game I saw him play this year, he balled out. A double/double with something like 5 blocks. MVP of a nationally televised game and a win. Probably would have been the perfect back-up to Kyle. But, we will never know and I'm glad how it worked out. Good luck to Owens, tho

I don't know if Tariq regrets his desicion or not, but the one game I saw him play this year, he balled out. A double/double with something like 5 blocks. MVP of a nationally televised game and a win. Probably would have been the perfect back-up to Kyle. But, we will never know and I'm glad how it worked out. Good luck to Owens, tho
I always loved Tariq and believed he and Alexander shared similar upside. I really hated to see him leave. He became a really solid player for St. Johns, and then now at Texas Tech as a grad transfer.

I figured that we would have success but if you told me he’d have the team in the top 5 within three years I wouldn’t have believed it.

I was elated when Rick Barnes was hired. Here's to hoping he lives up to his top 10 salary. I'm betting he will. Tennessee fans deserve a Final Four with the support the basketball program gets. It's time.

I Totally Knew from the beginning he would be Great!!!

tenor.gif

VN Store

Back