Who can beat us?

Zero chance this team loses 5-7 games this year if they stay healthy. Too much experience and too much talent, depth, efficient on both ends and well coached! We are the best offensive team and defensive team in the SEC and will be favorites in every game we play from now until March, and if we make a tournament run we will very likely be favored vs every team minus 1 or 2. We are the old man team that seldom loses at every rec center in the country. This is what an elite team looks like!
U know what, PVF ? I agree with u. Defense travels and this team is so well coached, maybe more importantly so smart with so many grown-ass men that lead this team. Bone has probably improved into the best PG in the SEC. Grant and Admiral are first team all-SEC players and Kyle is at least 2nd team. Bowden could win 6th Man of the year in the conference. Barnes could very easily be COY, again. Plus, every man on the team has improved since last year, except Turner and I'm blaming injury. Kentucky can beat any team on any given night, anywhere, but they are soft and UT will beat them at least twice if we play them 3 times. Auburn and Miss. St can beat the Vols, too. UT owes Auburn and I think we take their heart when we play them. 16-2, SEC regular season champs and I think this is the year we win the SEC Tourney, also. I'm all in and unless we catch a buzzsaw in the Tourney, I expect to be in the Elite 8 and have a great opportunity to be in their first Final 4

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Every game until Feb 16 will have us favored - that's 11 more Ws and we go to KY
Those 11 include WVU, Bama and Arkansas at home and road games with the lesser SEC teams this year UF, Miz, Vandy
Both KY games and away to LSU, Ol Miss, and Aub with a home game to Miss State all come in the final stretch - If we can win those it will put us in shape for a Final Four

I hope that our players have been thoroughly trained on how to handle opposing fans rushing the court. Unless TN wins every one on the road, there will be excited students somewhere putting our guys in danger. I'd hate for Admiral to sock somebody. It'd be a bad look.

I hope that our players have been thoroughly trained on how to handle opposing fans rushing the court. Unless TN wins every one on the road, there will be excited students somewhere putting our guys in danger. I'd hate for Admiral to sock somebody. It'd be a bad look.
Nah, I smell what u are cooking, but not this team and not Admiral. I'm sure he hates to lose, but he did play for those first 2 Barnes team. Admiral can handle it and he is pure class

Reactions: OneVolNation
U know what, PVF ? I agree with u. Defense travels and this team is so well coached, maybe more importantly so smart with so many grown-ass men that lead this team. Bone has probably improved into the best PG in the SEC. Grant and Admiral are first team all-SEC players and Kyle is at least 2nd team. Bowden could win 6th Man of the year in the conference. Barnes could very easily be COY, again. Plus, every man on the team has improved since last year, except Turner and I'm blaming injury. Kentucky can beat any team on any given night, anywhere, but they are soft and UT will beat them at least twice if we play them 3 times. Auburn and Miss. St can beat the Vols, too. UT owes Auburn and I think we take their heart when we play them. 16-2, SEC regular season champs and I think this is the year we win the SEC Tourney, also. I'm all in and unless we catch a buzzsaw in the Tourney, I expect to be in the Elite 8 and have a great opportunity to be in their first Final 4
Syracuse with their length, athleticism and more troublesome 24/7 matchup zone defense is the one off the radar team that scares me. If you're going to beat the Vols this season then you had better have a way above average pg yo help against our smothering defense and hope that the refs help you out. Vols frontcourt of Williams/Alexander/Admiral, all 3 NBA prospects, is the best in the country, they'll determine how far we go.

If Bone/Turner/Bowden/Pons continue playing at their current level I just don't see ANY losses the rest of the season with only at Ky and Vs Auburn as games that could come down to the last few possessions. This team has 4 legitimate NBA prospects and 3 more in Pons/Bowden/Turner that will likely get professional opportunities at some level. Teams with that much talent has historically made it to the final 4 and better and I like you think it happens as well. I believe that we are on a crash course to play either Duke, Gonzaga, Mich St or Va for the title. Our fans are a bit gun shy over these bold predictions and I feel it's simply because a team this balanced on both ends, this talented with aged veterans and wildly talented basketball dudes has never existed in Knoxville! This team is like having the Ernie and Bernie show while adding Josh Richardson and Dale Ellis to the act! We've never had a center like Alexander in our history, not many PGs that play at Bones level, only a handful in history that have produced like Williams and probably 10-20 that played at Admiral's level. Those 4 guys each are all-time Vol greats at their respected position and we have the luxury of watching them play together in perfect harmony right now!!

Our Admiral? Our Admiral ain't no Punk.

Reactions: The Dog
I've watched almost every team in the SEC and haven't seen one that can match up with us in the paint. Best 123 punch in the SEC and maybe in the country. If losses come they'll be because the refs go whistle crazy and foul everybody out halfway thru the second half or major injuries. I don't see the off night scenarios because there are so many pieces to this machine. 50 years I been waitin for these boys so i can Rest in Peace.
PS: Your grown-ass-men description speaks volumes about this team.

Last edited:
A bad game like last year in the NCAAT and another no name team can beat them. But, if this team stays healthy and hungry on defense they can get to the final 4.

The individual player improvement from last year is what's so unexpected to me. The SEC POY is now a threat from mid range and the 3 point line. It's like the light came on for Bone. AS is shooting even better. KA has become more assertive. Bowden's O has improved with his mid range game. All 5 starters are noticeably improved from last year. Other than LT's injury and Walker's struggles, the bench is better also. So unexpected for an SEC championship team to improve this much

You realize UT refused to play Memphis in the 70s and 80s when Memphis was playing for national titles, Final Fours, and 4 straight Sweet 16s, right? Somehow, the series was renewed during Memphis' probation, when it appeared they would be down. Similar to how UT football has refused to play Memphis these last 5 years.

As far as the 2-0 vs Penny's teams while he was playing, we have an Elite 8 banner hanging in our arena from one of those years. Those teams weren't juggernauts (6 seed in 1992 and 7 seed in 1993) and are probably the 3rd or 4th most celebrated teams in Tiger history. Honestly, the majority of Tiger fans have no recollection or angst over in season games. I didn't even remember that we played those 2 years until it was brought up prior to the game a couple of weeks ago. What I do recall vividly that year was the 1st game vs a ranked DePaul team (1st game ever played in the Pyramid), beating #3 seed Arkansas in the 2nd round, and losing for the 4th time that year to Cincinnati and Nick "F****ing" Van Exel in the Elite 8. Tell me how big is that banner in Thompson Boling that says "1992" Defeated Memphis State with a horrible coach the year they went to the Elite 8"? Does this one hang next to the "2006-2007: Defeated Florida 3 out of 4 times the years Florida won back to back National Titles"? Keep focusing on the battles, Memphis and legit programs focus on the wars.

Playing for a national title (singular) in the 70 and 80s. Saying that they played for national titles (plural) would indicate they played for more than one, which they didn’t. Also they made two Final Fours (and EEs) twelve years apart in that era. Impressive, no doubt, but let’s not act like Memphis making the Final Four was the norm. It wasn’t.

Has Memphis had more success in the NCAAT than UT? Absolutely. Should you, as a fan, be proud of their success? Definitely. With that said... If, over the next 15 years, Tennessee makes a couple of Final Fours and a title game, I won’t then parade around beating my chest like it was the “era of the Volunteer”.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Can't tell you how glad I was that the Vols kept the pedal to the metal. Winning teams have to have that mentality.
Bowden is really beginning to show up. I like his game. His playing time has increased as a result.
I only wish Walker, Pons, and Fulky would have the same mentality as Lucas Campbell. The kid wants to score lol. I know that sounds funny but at least Campbell looks to take his shot.

If those guys can't score in the type of game we had yesterday then I worry about them improving. I'll say this; from my stand point Barnes is giving EVERYONE their chances to shine and get more playing time.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Can't tell you how glad I was that the Vols kept the pedal to the metal. Winning teams have to have that mentality.
Bowden is really beginning to show up. I like his game. His playing time has increased as a result.
I only wish Walker, Pons, and Fulky would have the same mentality as Lucas Campbell. The kid wants to score lol. I know that sounds funny but at least Campbell looks to take his shot.

If those guys can't score in the type of game we had yesterday then I worry about them improving. I'll say this; from my stand point Barnes is giving EVERYONE their chances to shine and get more playing time.
Watching Barnes for 4 years now I'm pretty certain he demands D and rebounding from his youngsters before starting to work on their offense. As they earn more playing time doing those things I think you'll start to see more progress on their offense. I do know they've been working with Fulky to turn and shoot rather than putting it on the floor and turning it over. He got an ear full from Barnes yesterday when we were up 50 for it.

There is a reason you seen Tennessee playing just as hard up by 50 as they were up by 5. I don't see Tennessee overlooking or taking a game off. This team looks hungry and plays with Barnes' personality. Injuries or crazy foul trouble is the only thing I fear.

Reactions: The Dog
Based on last night's pathetic performance by the Gators I cannot fathom them beating you. Truly awful. Bad coaching, no composure, throwing up idiotic three pointers. No leaders.

UF will struggle to make the NIT this year.

Based on last night's pathetic performance by the Gators I cannot fathom them beating you. Truly awful. Bad coaching, no composure, throwing up idiotic three pointers. No leaders.

UF will struggle to make the NIT this year.
First time I’ve see them. Was that an off night, or are they that bad?

First time I’ve see them. Was that an off night, or are they that bad?

In these close games they tend to panic down the stretch. You can overcome that with coaching and experience/maturity. We seem to lack all of that. It's a frequent refrain with this team.

Watching Barnes for 4 years now I'm pretty certain he demands D and rebounding from his youngsters before starting to work on their offense. As they earn more playing time doing those things I think you'll start to see more progress on their offense. I do know they've been working with Fulky to turn and shoot rather than putting it on the floor and turning it over. He got an ear full from Barnes yesterday when we were up 50 for it.

Love the fact that coach Barnes is spurning no opportunity to coach no matter the margin of victory !

Reactions: OneVolNation
Don't know if others noticed, but he played all of his pups in the Gonzaga game, so they all know how it feels to play in the big ones. Guy's a complete coach. doesn't miss a thing.

Well except for Turner, Kent, Burns, and the 4 walk-ons. The 9 that played versus Gonzaga have been in almost every game. Fulkerson sat out at least once when banged up and Walker had a game or two that he was never used.

Tennessee vs. Gonzaga Box Score, December 9, 2018 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Well except for Turner, Kent, Burns, and the 4 walk-ons. The 9 that played versus Gonzaga have been in almost every game. Fulkerson sat out at least once when banged up and Walker had a game or two that he was never used.

Tennessee vs. Gonzaga Box Score, December 9, 2018 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Walk ons aren't pups and Turner wasn't playing at the time. Kent and Burns aren't playing this season. Guy calling the game even questioned playing Fulk, Johnson and walker so early in the game.

Walk ons aren't pups and Turner wasn't playing at the time. Kent and Burns aren't playing this season. Guy calling the game even questioned playing Fulk, Johnson and walker so early in the game.

But the 9 that played versus Gonzaga have played in the majority of all games played so far. Really other than injuries (Fulkerson 1 game, Turner 9 games) the same 9 have played in almost every game. JJ sat out 3 and Walker sat out once.

But the 9 that played versus Gonzaga have played in the majority of all games played so far. Really other than injuries (Fulkerson 1 game, Turner 9 games) the same 9 have played in almost every game. JJ sat out 3 and Walker sat out once.

We now have depth of 9 contributing to the scoring totals. Saw JJ try to take it to the basket in the Ga game. Pons seems to disappeared. I just feel those guys need to have the fight in them. Take it to your opponents. Score your points. Accept the challenge !!!!!

We now have depth of 9 contributing to the scoring totals. Saw JJ try to take it to the basket in the Ga game. Pons seems to disappeared. I just feel those guys need to have the fight in them. Take it to your opponents. Score your points. Accept the challenge !!!!!

One of the few regrets in the GA game was that JJ didn't blow the lid off if the TBA with that dunk. Walker got a nice one though.

Reactions: awaitingawin
One might expect them to play in that game, but not 3 minutes into the game, up 9 and all 3 on the floor at the same time. Even Farnham thought it was odd. I'm in no way questioning the move, I don't question anything this coach does anymore. I do think it was a teaching point and getting his pups real time in a big game.

VN Store

Back