Strange personal stories

As a church rec league sports official, most every time for adults the real stupidity doesn’t get cranked up good until after the player ejection.
Looking forward to this story & hopefully it won’t disappoint!! Gotta a feelin it won’t

We were high school seniors so it’s been a while. But yes it’s was beyond stupid.
I absolutely own it as one of the dumbest things I’ve ever done.

Reactions: VolNExile
Yes.
Slice was once kicked out of church league basketball. Not just a game but from the league.

Lol
I once threatened to beat the F out of a pastor in a church softball league.... I didn't realize he was a pastor at the time because he was so young. A good friend of mine had just taken a shot to the face after ricocheting off the top of his glove... his nose was shattered.... like all over his face. He was playing 3rd.... the pastor was a runner on 2nd....a couple of us was checking out our friend... I turned to walk back towards center and the pastor made some smartass comment about all of us making such a big deal about him getting hit...it just struck me wrong after just seeing my friends face.... I told him I was about to make a big deal of beating the F out of him...... lol.... my smashed friend's brother heard him too and then he came over and started giving him the business too. Thankfully it didn't escalate any further, but we did find out the guy was the pastor of their church....

Reactions: malinoisvol
I once threatened to beat the F out of a pastor in a church softball league.... I didn't realize he was a pastor at the time because he was so young. A good friend of mine had just taken a shot to the face after ricocheting off the top of his glove... his nose was shattered.... like all over his face. He was playing 3rd.... the pastor was a runner on 2nd....a couple of us was checking out our friend... I turned to walk back towards center and the pastor made some smartass comment about all of us making such a big deal about him getting hit...it just struck me wrong after just seeing my friends face.... I told him I was about to make a big deal of beating the F out of him...... lol.... my smashed friend's brother heard him too and then he came over and started giving him the business too. Thankfully it didn't escalate any further, but we did find out the guy was the pastor of their church....

Lol. But hey, just because a guy’s a pastor, doesn’t automatically mean he’s a good person. I’ve known a few that coulda used a good asskicking.

Lol. But hey, just because a guy’s a pastor, doesn’t automatically mean he’s a good person. I’ve known a few that coulda used a good asskicking.
Well I didn't feel bad about it after finding out he was. I was more surprised that a pastor would make such a crappy comment. I can't recall exactly what he said, but he was implying we were a bunch of poons for checking on him like we did.
In his defense, he didn't see how bad his face was. His nose was horrendous and he had to have surgery to fix it.

Well I didn't feel bad about it after finding out he was. I was more surprised that a pastor would make such a crappy comment. I can't recall exactly what he said, but he was implying we were a bunch of poons for checking on him like we did.
In his defense, he didn't see how bad his face was. His nose was horrendous and he had to have surgery to fix it.
I was a heathen growing up, but as bad as I was I would try to be respectful to good people and church folks. Back before caller ID ruined prank calling, me and my cousin were making a few just dialing random numbers. We'd just cuss at them, make crude comments, etc. He had called someone who got extremely mad, and that made it more fun. So I grabbed the phone and was telling this man that I was sleeping with his wife, daughter if he had one, his mother. Told him I knew where he lived, and was gonna burn his house down when he went to work, just a bunch of foolish crap an ignorant teenager would say. Anyway, we had to go to the funeral home that night because someone at church had passed away. I was standing there and heard this voice and recognized it from the phone. He was telling a couple of people about the phone call. It was a deacon from our church, and a huge guy, big ol joker. He saw me and asked me how I was, I just nodded my head. Haha, I didn't wanna get kilt at the funeral home.

Not church basketball but......

Before I went out on my own I worked for a big corporation. We went to a software training meeting. It was all upper management and all the way down to project management (me). There were chocolate covered espresso beans on the table. I thought they were just chocolate coffee flavored candy. I ate a ton of them. As the training went on some people were not paying attention. The trainer had to repeat himself several times. The more beans I ate and the more repeat questions....the more aggravating it because. Finally my boss, Fox, asked the same question a 4th time. I snapped. I said “damnit Fox!! Pay attention for the love of Gawd!! He’s covered this 3 times and I’m sure he’s getting sick of it!!” Fox just looked at me. The CEO said “Slice, I understand your frustration but if you don’t mind I’ll talk to Fox about paying attention after the meeting “. I said “ok, sorry “ I looked back at Fox who was casually giving me the finger.

Not church basketball but......

Before I went out on my own I worked for a big corporation. We went to a software training meeting. It was all upper management and all the way down to project management (me). There were chocolate covered espresso beans on the table. I thought they were just chocolate coffee flavored candy. I ate a ton of them. As the training went on some people were not paying attention. The trainer had to repeat himself several times. The more beans I ate and the more repeat questions....the more aggravating it because. Finally my boss, Fox, asked the same question a 4th time. I snapped. I said “damnit Fox!! Pay attention for the love of Gawd!! He’s covered this 3 times and I’m sure he’s getting sick of it!!” Fox just looked at me. The CEO said “Slice, I understand your frustration but if you don’t mind I’ll talk to Fox about paying attention after the meeting “. I said “ok, sorry “ I looked back at Fox who was casually giving me the finger.

That is a great story. I would have died laughing had I been present. Caffeine is a hellavu drug

Played in a rec league for most of the ninetys. It was a mix of company teams and church teams. Some of those church teams were among the nastiest teams I’ve played against.

Played in a rec league for most of the ninetys. It was a mix of company teams and church teams. Some of those church teams were among the nastiest teams I’ve played against.
Kinda random, but when my daughters played HS soccer, CAK (Christian Academy of Knoxville) was hands down the dirtiest girls soccer team we ever played (school soccer anyway.) Never really understood that.

Kinda random, but when my daughters played HS soccer, CAK (Christian Academy of Knoxville) was hands down the dirtiest girls soccer team we ever played (school soccer anyway.) Never really understood that.
They’re nasty in football too

Reactions: VolNExile
Not the story I planned to post, but reading all this reminded me of the days in our church softball league. Our priest was a sports fanatic, he had mass in the morning at 7 so he could have time to play nine holes before the 11 am mass. And when the redskins were on at noon mass always ended about 10 minutes early. Anyway, he was our lead off batter and could slap the ball bout anywhere he wanted. We were in the championship game and down by one in the last inning with the tying run on second. He came up to bat with two outs and hit a little liner right to the right fielder for the last out of the game. As he was running it out to first and saw the catch he yelled, damn son of a b****!! Guess he had some time in the confessional after that one.

I am thinking this could turn into a strange stories of church league softball... and on that note.
I played first base in the B/C league slow pitch and we are warming up and my buddy the shortstop who is a huge baseball fan is warming up with me and all of the sudden he comes charging over at me instead of throwing the ball back. He says "That is Josh Frickin Hamilton warming up with Colonial Baptist." I have no idea who that is and kind-of ask OK who is Josh Frickin Hamilton and he tells me he is a major league baseball player. Yeah right why the hell would he be here dumbazz? Well I was friends with the guy that is coaching first base and when the game starts I ask him "is that Josh"... and that's as far as I got. "Yep he is home for a while with some personal issues and wanted to play with our team. "
They put the first two guys on we get an out and the guess who's batting cleanup? My buddy and I are convincing our pitcher just to put him on but he says no way am I not pitching to a MLB player. Hamilton hit a shot over the fence that hit 60 feet up in the pines that were 25 feet behind the 320 fence. I have seen a total of prob 12-15 hits go over the fence and I had 2 of them hit the top. Next time he comes up we tell the pitcher to pitch him way out side and he puts one about 2 feet outside he just one arms this one over the fence (not as far but still good and plenty over) to keep from stepping on the plate. The next time he comes up we ask the umpire if we can just put him on without pitching to him and he says loud enough for the whole field yeah I don't why you didn't do that the first two times.
After the game I was kidding with some of the colonial guys that if they needed bus money to send Josh to the A league I would be happy to chip in. Turns out that he was having some drug issues and either had been suspended by the Devil rays or MLB, I don't remember, and was back in Raleigh to get his life together.

The next year parks and rec had the "Josh Hamilton rule" only one HR per team allowed otherwise its a Ground rule double.

If I was a cat I would have used up my nine lives growing up in Knoxville, all the crazy stuff we did, swimming in the pond at Meads Quarry (out towards Sevierville) and getting jumped there by the Quarry Rats (I ended up with a bloody head wound after getting sucker punched and falling on the rock cliff), smashing up cars and motorcycles, and generally living it up. One of my early jobs was bagging groceries for Cas Walker (if you're not from Knoxville, Cas Walker was a local politician and businessman with a string of supermarkets, had actually been mayor of Knoxville at one time). One of the two Supermarkets I worked in was in a pretty rough neighborhood - Vestal. One Friday night a couple of the guys working there, who were classic hoodlums of the day, got into a bit of a fracas in the condiments aisle. The one with buck teeth grabs a bottle of Seven Seas salad dressing - a thick glass bottle - and smashes it over the other guy's head. A bloody mess but no one died. Telling this now reminds me of how my first motorcycle (a Suzuki 305) bit the dust. Somebody poured sugar in the gas tank while I was working there, and I never found out who. One of the few times my Dad and I ever did anything together... he towed me home on that bike with his Studebaker station wagon.

My grandparents grew up, met, and married in vestal. Were very poor. He went in the USAF for 26 years and then they settled for good in seymour. It will always be home to me, because its where i spent every weekend of my earliest years, and as much time as i can since. 20 minutes down chapman highway from the stadium in Seymour is where i grew to be a Vol. Vestal is still dirt poor and dangerous.

Edit: just realized this isnt in any way an interesting story. Just surprised me to see someone mention Vestal, as its small, and the poorest neighborhood i know of in south knoxville.

I could tell stories here, as i was a totally different person before i got saved and married...but probably not without incriminating myself in some foolish way. I burned all 9 lives for sure , and have seen and done things decent people never even think about. Praise God for forgiveness and mercy, and all that i dont deserve.

Last edited:
Interesting thread… I have several but this is the earliest one I can remember…

It was a cool morning in early March many years ago. I remember hearing soothing sounds, like the slow rhythmic beat of a drum, and being comfortable and warm, not a care in the world. Suddenly things started to rapidly change, my whole world was shaking violently. I didn’t know what was going on. Suddenly, I remember being forced down a narrow passage way, I was thrust into a large bright room with several people. It was cold and strange. A large man dressed all in white with his face covered assaulted me by flipping me over upside down and slapping me on the ass, hard! I don’t know if it was the pain, I don’t remember experiencing pain before, or just the shock of it all but I started screaming at the dude. Then I realized I was naked, did I mention it was cold? My mom grabbed me and covered me up, she seemed happy despite the abuse I had just endured, everything was fine after that, relatively speaking, but life was never as simple again.

As a church rec league sports official, most every time for adults the real stupidity doesn’t get cranked up good until after the player ejection.
Looking forward to this story & hopefully it won’t disappoint!! Gotta a feelin it won’t
I don’t remember all the details, but let’s just say Bobby Knight didn’t have anything on Slice when it came to throwing chairs across the court.

Ok......I was 17 and driving home from school. There is a one lane bridge that crossed the Harpeth River (since widened) that rarely had any traffic. I was going about 40/45 mph and there was a UPS truck about to cross the bridge coming towards me approx 75 yrds away. I slammed on my brakes waiting for the impact. I could smell the rubber....and then dead silence. I opened my eyes and I was on the other side of the bridge. I turned around and the UPS truck was on the other side. We both got out of our vehicles and put our hands up as to say, "WTH just happened." To this day, it's the strangest thing I've encountered (including a couple of ghosts).
You must have grown up close to where my Grandparents lived off Harpeth Bend Drive in West Nashville? Didn't know a kid named Stevie Austin did you?

VN Store

Back