Lady Vols vs. Auburn Game Thread

I did not follow the game but looked at the stats.Tennessee 23 turnovers and Auburn 11. Auburn took 70 shots, but shot poorly.

Stating the obvious, but if we could cut the turnovers in half and convert more baskets, the reserves might get to play more.

I watched most of the 2nd half. What I've concluded is that this team wins games they would have lost last year because they can consistently hit perimeter shots at key times. They have nothing inside, but they generally have three dangerous perimeter scorers that you have to contain. This game could easily have gotten away, but Jackson's hot shooting kept Auburn at Bay.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but... Tennessee will go as far as Meme Jackson will take them...imho.

The turnovers will kill us against better teams. Holly’s teams are known to commit a lot of turnovers. I don’t see that improving. Nice win but they could have won by 20

Doubt it ... young team in a tough environment. This is not making excuses for them because I am NOT pleased with the turnovers however 4-5 of those were offensive fouls that probably shouldn’t have been called. I can remember KKs shot and E getting fouled on the way to the hoop which were called travels which weren’t. The KK “unsportsman like conduct foul” was a turnover because it was an offensive foul and gave the ball back to Auburn.

There were passes that were too high trying to get them over the press and a couple of lazy passes yes and those drive me insane! COME TO MEET THE PASS AND STEP IN FRONT OF YOUR DEFENDER!!

Turnovers are lost possessions but this team didn’t make a lot of live ball turnovers which is where Auburn thrives. I remember someone saying if you’re going to turn it over chuck it out of bounds and D up and get it back don’t hand it to your opponent and get them off to the races.

Reactions: ruvol and mlindsay
Glad to see them get the win. I was worried about this game but they pulled it out at the end. Very proud to see them continue to develop. Also glad to see them retain composure in spite of the officiating. On to the next game. One game at a time....improve each game, and continue to work on that passing game.

Glad to see them get the win. I was worried about this game but they pulled it out at the end. Very proud to see them continue to develop. Also glad to see them retain composure in spite of the officiating. On to the next game. One game at a time....improve each game, and continue to work on that passing game.

Not only did they pull it out they imposed their will down the stretch over the last 3 min or so it was like they channeled a little ole school LV basketball and just went after the ball.

Is it just me, or is anyone else disgusted with our proud Tennessee Lady Vols disrespecting the uniform by sticking their shorts under their underwear? Pat would have never allowed this. It is nasty looking. If they want shorter shorts, shorten them the professional way. This is very degrading and I can’t believe that Holly doesn’t demand that our players show more respect to the great Tennessee program.

It's just you :) They can wear their underwear on the outside of their suits as long as they are winning, in my opinion.

The turnovers will kill us against better teams. Holly’s teams are known to commit a lot of turnovers. I don’t see that improving. Nice win but they could have won by 20

Surprisingly against better competition we have had few turnovers this season. I believe that is because Westbrook plays almost 40 minutes when we play better competition. When she had to sit for a long time last night after rolling her ankle our TOs really piled up, just young players making rushed decisions against the pressure. About 8 of our 23 TOs were poor calls though, travels that weren't travels, an over and back that was tipped, a couple of kicked balls they let Auburn collect and run out with, and several very questionable offensive foul calls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyvol777
Just finished rewatching the game and JMO a lot of bad and suspicious calls on a few of those turnovers especially in the first half. Some really weak foul calls on Tennessee and that call on the KK layup of walking was downright terrible. Some turnovers continue to be an inability to catch the ball and some bad decisions on passes.

Agreed, we made some poor passes against the pressure but like I said in another post, by my count about 8 of our turnovers belonged to the officials last night. I was very proud that our ladies kept their composure and just kept playing. Every time we would open up a lead the officials would gift the ball back to Auburn and they would hit a 3 or get FTs off of a bogus foul call.

The Lady Vols never hung their heads or complained, just went on to the next play. I really liked the way our defense looked in the 2-3 zone last night. Our length makes for a really nice zone and the girls did a better of keeping their hands active and closing out on shooters.

Auburn didn't have a poor shooting night just because their shot was off, the Lady Vols really made them earn their buckets last night, particularly McKay (who can go off if you let her) and Thompson in the second half. Our length really bothered them and wore them down as the game progressed.

I think Nicky Anosike is having an effect on this team they can get mean when the game is on the line. Tennessee can reach a so much higher level even this season. Meme has certainly reached her peak, but Davis, Westbrook, Z. Green, Massengill, and Burrell can be elevated to a much higher level of play. It may take more than this season, but as experience is gained these players will be much more of a factor.

Deciding to play the zone was the major factor in the win. If we had decided on man to man this would've been a loss. I think going forward the zone has to be our main defense although I would like to see a box and one or even two when a team has just outstanding three point shooters. If you have a defender that can take that player out of the game then the zone certainly helps you on the drives to the basket.

I think Nicky Anosike is having an effect on this team they can get mean when the game is on the line. Tennessee can reach a so much higher level even this season. Meme has certainly reached her peak, but Davis, Westbrook, Z. Green, Massengill, and Burrell can be elevated to a much higher level of play. It may take more than this season, but as experience is gained these players will be much more of a factor.

I totally agree, I actually see her defensive stance in a couple of the younger players. You can really tell she has worked with Mimi Collins on her defense. When she is guarding on the perimeter her hands and feet are active at all times. Nicky was always so good at that, she would get her hands on tons of balls, even if just a deflection. She was always really long and active.

I am so excited the younger post players will get to work with her the next couple of years. Have to say I secretly hope they find a way to keep her on as a coach. She is such a driven individual and is an excellent Tennessee product with her NCAA sportswoman of the year award, two NCAA championships and then a couple of surprisingly good years in the pros. She is someone these young players can really look up to and listen to. On top of all of that I remember that she was a triple major with a 4.0. She is the kind of person you just cannot say "can't" to, not in her vocabulary.

I watched most of the 2nd half. What I've concluded is that this team wins games they would have lost last year because they can consistently hit perimeter shots at key times. They have nothing inside, but they generally have three dangerous perimeter scorers that you have to contain. This game could easily have gotten away, but Jackson's hot shooting kept Auburn at Bay.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but... Tennessee will go as far as Meme Jackson will take them...imho.

I totally agree with the MeMe assessment and when coach Gordon got in her face (it was in a good way) letting MeMe know they couldn’t guard her, she continued to go off! She lights a fire under everyone and is a true senior leader! If she can get Cheridene on boad and lead the post players it will be hard for us to be beat!

Side note: Her draft stock is increasing every game!

Indeed Meme had another excellent game. It is amazing to see how much she has progressed from her very raw freshman season to the polished all round player she has become. My one concern about her performance in the Auburn game is that, during the crunch time of the fourth quarter, she started passing on open shots, including a lay-up. It was like she was deferring to others to close out the game. It worked out fine because Davis rose to the challenge but, given the way Meme had been shooting in particular, I would have liked her to be the one leading the charge to victory. There will be games where she will need to show senior leadership in the clutch.

Overall, I think this was an impressive performance. Auburn is a talented team and beating them on the road is a very good win. All the starters played very good games. Massengill held her own off the bench. I was hoping that Rae and Mimi might have stronger showings, given that they had seemed to find their grooves in the prior game but they still seem to be adjusting to this higher caliber of play. I felt bad for KK. That bogus travel call not only took away a big momentum play but it would have been a great way to get her going. She did everything right. I have no idea how the ref saw that as a travel, although the refs made some baffling class all night.

Indeed Meme had another excellent game. It is amazing to see how much she has progressed from her very raw freshman season to the polished all round player she has become. My one concern about her performance in the Auburn game is that, during the crunch time of the fourth quarter, she started passing on open shots, including a lay-up. It was like she was deferring to others to close out the game. It worked out fine because Davis rose to the challenge but, given the way Meme had been shooting in particular, I would have liked her to be the one leading the charge to victory. There will be games where she will need to show senior leadership in the clutch.

Overall, I think this was an impressive performance. Auburn is a talented team and beating them on the road is a very good win. All the starters played very good games. Massengill held her own off the bench. I was hoping that Rae and Mimi might have stronger showings, given that they had seemed to find their grooves in the prior game but they still seem to be adjusting to this higher caliber of play. I felt bad for KK. That bogus travel call not only took away a big momentum play but it would have been a great way to get her going. She did everything right. I have no idea how the ref saw that as a travel, although the refs made some baffling class all night.

To go along with what youre saying Meme ehas developed into a good player and hopefully yher udraft stock is rising and she can be drafted . I live in the dmV and I know the mystics coach LOVES players like her. If she can shoot the ball and defend he would keep her and she has some length to guard other guards at 5’11!

I will give the coaching staff credit for developing her. Some more highly touted recruits I can’t say the same thing but this staff has done a great job with her and we are starting to see how they do with Evina and Rennia. You could see Re just starting to become that dominate player now she just has to want the ball, want her numbered called , and like CHW said “be a dog and have some fight”

KKs call was BOGUS and the unsportsmanlike conduct call was dumb it could have been downgraded to an offensive foul. While she did slightly swing her elbows it was a basketball play because the auburn players were grabbing at the ball AND HER. I think that really took her out of her game. She is coming along as well and I LOVE the way she was bodying up the Auburn post player! She was moving her!

Last edited:
Meme has definitely improved and has become a player that I appreciate for her energy and willingness to be the one to make something happen when the team needs a boost. Whether it be a big three-point bucket or a defensive stop, Meme isn’t too shy to take control. Love it!

And while the number of times I want to shake her for making bad, freshmanlike decisions has decreased, I’d like to see those cut out almost completely. Obviously if she’s going to be the one willing to take chances to get something going, then sometimes it’s just not going to work out. That’s okay! As long as she keeps those to a minimum I’m on board with Team Meme. I am 100 PERCENT appreciative of the time she has so obviously spent in the gym to improve her shooting.

All this said, if I didn’t know that Meme could be an all-American, I wouldn’t get so frustrated by some of her decision-making. I know noone remembers, but when Meme was a freshman doing nothing but gathering splinters, I was among the group of people who often openly campaigned for the staff to give the obviously naturally athletic Meme Jackson more than 2 minutes a game to work through some of the silly freshman mistakes she inevitably made. I was always frustrated to think that she might never bet the chance she deserves.

Fast-forward to last season, and now this season... and she has not only gotten her chance, but she’s actually considered the “senior leader!” So, just like Pat would have expected, I expect a senior leader to show the younger players how to play smart, consistent basketball. When I see her do something dumb, in my mind I channel Pat and give her my best mental stare! lol

Hope the Lady Vols keep winning!!!

Reactions: Only1COJ
We didn't actually have as many turnovers as was called. The refs were confused on what a travel was in this game. One Auburn guard ran across the lane with the ball like a half back in football and they just stood and watched. There were some real head scratchers by the refs in this game but I knew there would be. It must drive coaches crazy with such poor officiating.

We are doing better with a young team on turnovers than we did with experienced teams recently. This is a young team and you will have turnovers. What we need to do is see if this can be corrected as the season goes on.

it's hustle and want to. that's the biggest difference between holly's teams and pat's teams. pat rode them hard in practice and harder
in a game. holly is the complete opposite. both have had talented teams but pat knew how to get the most out of each of her players.

Exactly! She’s too laid back with the players. I notice during the game when someone makes a mistake she just throws her arms up.

Is it just me, or is anyone else disgusted with our proud Tennessee Lady Vols disrespecting the uniform by sticking their shorts under their underwear? Pat would have never allowed this. It is nasty looking. If they want shorter shorts, shorten them the professional way. This is very degrading and I can’t believe that Holly doesn’t demand that our players show more respect to the great Tennessee program.

Seriously lol.

Reactions: ruvol
How do we get our girls to play that swarming D like Auburn. We would be crazy good. We definitely have the athletes and bodies to do so.

Reactions: lvocd

I don't care if they're wearing just underwear to play ball. What we need is play defense, stop struggling with unranked teams, star players wake up and stop sleeping. Pat should be worry about same thing and not players converting their shorts to underwear. Even in WNBA, there's some female who doesn't like long short and those females are more lady like just like Lisa Leslie use to do the same.

I think going forward the 3-2 zone has to be the main defense against any team that has quick players on the perimeter. I think the major reason we struggle guarding most teams perimeter players is that we are taller by several inches and shorter quicker players can just beat you off the dribble. Auburn had a tough time against the zone. I think going forward you shade the best three point shooter and still have players underneath to stop the drive. We had problems against their post in the first half as they were getting the pass to her. We got that corrected in the second half and they had several turnovers trying to get it to her. I look for the defense to get better with every outing, but you have to pick a defense and perfect it. I don't think we can perfect the man to man this season the zone seems to be where we excel.

There has been a lot of excellent teams over the years that played a zone. Auburn used to play a really good trapping zone when Joe coached. I always liked the 1-3-1 trap that Mears played when he was on the hill.

VN Store

Back