Citrus Bowl Thread: #14 Kentucky vs. #12 Penn State (1 PM EST, ABC)

This season is a fluke for Kentucky
You don't win 10 games and have it be a fluke.

It is difficult for programs like Kentucky to sustain this type of success, so I wouldn't expect another 10-win season any time soon. This was a senior-heavy team. But they won a ton of games against schools they usually lose to. The only sour taste in their mouth from this year will be the Tennessee loss. I'm still not quite sure how we won that game or how Kentucky looked so bad in that game, especially considering how we finished the season.

You don't win 10 games and have it be a fluke.

It is difficult for programs like Kentucky to sustain this type of success, so I wouldn't expect another 10-win season any time soon. This was a senior-heavy team. But they won a ton of games against schools they usually lose to. The only sour taste in their mouth from this year will be the Tennessee loss. I'm still not quite sure how we won that game or how Kentucky looked so bad in that game, especially considering how we finished the season.
You dont win 10 games in a season for the first time since the 70's and it not be a fluke :)

You dont win 10 games in a season for the first time since the 70's and it not be a fluke :)
Tennessee hasn't been this good in basketball since 2007-08, and before that we weren't that good since...ever. So we've been a top 2-3 basketball team just a couple times in our entire history.

Would you call those seasons flukes, or call it a non-traditional power who happened to have a great team that year? Schofield, Williams, etc. aren't mediocre or bad players having a "fluke" year. Kentucky is a senior-heavy, experienced team with some pretty good players, especially by their standards. A fluke is Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson or App St beating Michigan.

Tennessee hasn't been this good in basketball since 2007-08, and before that we weren't that good since...ever. So we've been a top 2-3 basketball team just a couple times in our entire history.

Would you call those seasons flukes, or call it a non-traditional power who happened to have a great team that year? Schofield, Williams, etc. aren't mediocre or bad players having a "fluke" year. Kentucky is a senior-heavy, experienced team with some pretty good players, especially by their standards. A fluke is Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson or App St beating Michigan.
Yes, I would call this season a fluke......we arent used to being here and its a surprise we are in this position. Maybe I define fluke differently than you. This season wasnt expected a couple of years ago

Yes, I would call this season a fluke......we arent used to being here and its a surprise we are in this position. Maybe I define fluke differently than you. This season wasnt expected a couple of years ago
Maybe you don't really watch the Basketvols (I'll admit to being a bit of a bandwagoner myself), but it isn't surprising Tennessee is this good this year. It did surprise people we were as good last year as we were, but we basically returned last year's entire team. Expectations were really high in the preseason and they've met them. It isn't a fluke.

It isn't a fluke where in a given season you have good players (either by your standards, or good players by any standard), those guys are playing well, and you have a good year (again, either by your standards or any standard). A fluke would be if Kentucky went 4-8 this year, but one of those wins was against Georgia.

Reactions: LittleCat
Maybe you don't really watch the Basketvols (I'll admit to being a bit of a bandwagoner myself), but it isn't surprising Tennessee is this good this year. It did surprise people we were as good last year as we were, but we basically returned last year's entire team. Expectations were really high in the preseason and they've met them. It isn't a fluke.

It isn't a fluke where in a given season you have good players (either by your standards, or good players by any standard), those guys are playing well, and you have a good year (again, either by your standards or any standard). A fluke would be if Kentucky went 4-8 this year, but one of those wins was against Georgia.
I watch them and have for the better part of 20 years and we are in a position that we have never really been in. Its a fluke in that way to me. If we start making this close to the norm then of course that would make it different.

Reactions: LittleCat
I watch them and have for the better part of 20 years and we are in a position that we have never really been in. Its a fluke in that way to me. If we start making this close to the norm then of course that would make it different.

Your avi is disturbing and so are the videos associated with it. Freaks me out haha

This season is a fluke for Kentucky

I dont think anyone expected 10 wins, but we built this team up for 3 or 4 years, so it's not like it came out of nowhere. Yes, its abnormal, but it wasn't like it was a lucky undeserved season.

With 16 Seniors leaving and possibly Snell it will be rebuild time. I think Stoops did a great job with Josh Allen. I think I remember someone saying he was a 2 star out of high school and now he's being projected in the top 10.

So anything that happens that you did not expect is a fluke?
If it comes out of nowhere and isnt followed by equal or close to equal success. I just think we define it differently and not trying to argue about it or say you are wrong or anything

No, it isn't. Pre-season many thought that they would have a 8 win season due to the number of seniors on the team. They already knew that they would be a good team this year.
Jesus lol. A preseason that has many thinking that Kentucky will have an 8 win season is indeed a fluke. Dont think I am being understood here lol. You think a season like this happens in the next 30 years for Kentucky?

Jesus lol. A preseason that has many thinking that Kentucky will have an 8 win season is indeed a fluke. Dont think I am being understood here lol. You think a season like this happens in the next 30 years for Kentucky?
Hell it might take UK 10 years to replicate the success they had this year....they will go back to mediocre next year...

No. It was just too perfect of a season. I think we can continue 8 wins, but it took the best RB in UK history and the best defensive player in the nation to drag UK to 11. In a perfect world, I'd be happy with 10 every few years, but the SEC is just too good.

I think where we differ if how we are applying the "fluke" term. Is it a fluke that we have all these good players at once? Sure. But is it a fluke that they won 10 games? Hell no. It would have been a fluke to have these players and not win 7 or 8. We weren't an elite team. We weren't a pretty team to watch. But we won games and were very competitive against teams most thought would handle us.

Well, let's look at next season to see if we think it's a "fluke," which is a pretty ambiguous term, anyway. The schedule sets up really nicely with 2 open dates and 8 home games, including getting UT and FU at home.

Kentucky's 2019 Schedule:
Aug. 31 – TOLEDO - Win
Sept. 7 – EASTERN MICHIGAN - Win
Sept. 14 – FLORIDA* - At home, we can win but prob loss.
Sept. 21 – at Mississippi State* - Prob loss
Sept. 28 – at South Carolina* - We own these guys- 5 straight win streak
Oct. 12 – ARKANSAS* - LOL Win
Oct. 19 – at Georgia* - Loss
Oct. 26 – MISSOURI* - Win. Probably a new coach because Odom is a potato.
Nov. 9 – TENNESSEE* - Coin flip
Nov. 16 – at Vanderbilt* - Win
Nov. 23 – UT MARTIN - Win
Nov. 30 – LOUISVILLE - Win

This looks like 8-4 or 9-3 to me. Add a bowl game, and we can equalize last year.

I think the big issue going forward is going to be how Kentucky manages to capitalize on this season.

So far ever year that Mark Stoops has been driving the bus, the Cats have been consistent or improved. A 2-10 record in 2013, followed bt two 5-7 seasons, then two 7-6 seasons.

By now, I'm guessing Mark Stoops probably has job security for at least another two or three seasons, and is probably making a fairly decent amount of money. He's also in a bit of a grey area in terms of where he is right now. While Kentucky historically hasn't been a powerhouse program, unlike say Vanderbilt, they do tend to have a better habit of getting good or getting lucky every now and at least managing to break even or plus 1 or 2. This does tend to guarantee a bit of job security for him, which can give a good degree of stability to a program. Any players he gets now know that he is the one they will have to deal with for at least another two or three years.

With this season and two 7-6 seasons before, three winning seasons in a row, which is rare for Kentucky, they are so far trending in a positive direction. Obviously nothing is for certain and past success is not a guarantee for future success, but if he feeds recruits a line about building great things or wanting to be successful, it's not all a bunch of BS or smoke and mirrors. Every coach wants to win and be successful, build great things, blah, blah, blah. But it definitely helps when they can show a Win-Loss column thats starting to have more wins and fewer losses.

Last edited:

A lot can happen in a couple of years. Last year wasn't expected, but this year isn't really that much of a surprise considering we figured out how good we are.

VN Store

Back