Citrus Bowl Thread: #14 Kentucky vs. #12 Penn State (1 PM EST, ABC)

I wonder if Kentucky will finish in the top 10. Never thought I'd see the day

At the very least they will switch places with Penn State and move up to #12.

Mark Stoops is looking at a well deserved pay raise after this, and getting an extension of a couple of years on his contract isn't unwarranted either.

Way too early to know for sure, but I'll be curious to see how this impacts Kentucky going forward. So far they've either held steady or improved every year that Stoops has been calling the shots in Lexington. I don't exactly see him winning the SEC East or anything, earning an at large in the Peach or Fiesta or Cotton Bowl isn't something I would rule out.

Congrats to Kentucky way to represent and end on best season ever

I’m assuming 10 wins is that

They had an 11-1 season once. Way back in 1950, Paul Bear Bryant(yes, that Bryant of Alabama fame) got them to a 10-1 regular season, won the SEC, and beat #1 Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

Last edited:
Honestly felt like we played bad, which shows just how damn good this is.

Only question I have...is how in the hell did we not even show up against UT?

Heck of a season. Amazing.

Similar to the UF/UT rivalry.

We never play great against Florida and Kentucky never plays great against Tennessee no matter where they’re playing.

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
10 wins for the 3rd time in school history, first time since 1977.
Broke the streak against Florida at the Swamp.
Blew out rival Louisville.
Josh Allen consensus defensive POY.
Benny Snell becomes all-time rushing leader.

Give Stoops more money than Cal.

Mark Stoops is looking at a well deserved pay raise after this, and getting an extension of a couple of years on his contract isn't unwarranted either.

Way too early to know for sure, but I'll be curious to see how this impacts Kentucky going forward. So far they've either held steady or improved every year that Stoops has been calling the shots in Lexington. I don't exactly see him winning the SEC East or anything, earning an at large in the Peach or Fiesta or Cotton Bowl isn't something I would rule out.

Reactions: LittleCat
They should lock Stoops up with a 10 year deal. Give him whatever he wants. ;)

They had an 11-1 season once. Way back in 1950, Paul Bear Bryant(yes, that Bryant of Alabama fame) got them to a 10-1 regular season, won the SEC, and beat #1 Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

The amazing the thing I’ve heard about Bear leaving is that they gave Rupp a Cadillac and enrolled Bear in the equivalent of the Jelly of the Month club. Amazing how those priorities set precedents over time.

Reactions: LittleCat
The amazing the thing I’ve heard about Bear leaving is that they gave Rupp a Cadillac and enrolled Bear in the equivalent of the Jelly of the Month club. Amazing how those priorities set precedents over time.
It's good fiction, but didn't happen.

Congrats to Kentucky way to represent and end on best season ever

I’m assuming 10 wins is that

They also went 10-1 in 1977 and finished #6 in the country. (They were just also on probation and a bowl ban.)

Is there zero truth to it or most of it Bear not feeling appreciated enough?

It was more along the lines of stupid legislators in the Kentucky house who limited the number of out of state scholarships that Bear could offer. Tends to cripple recruiting.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
10 wins for the 3rd time in school history, first time since 1977.
Broke the streak against Florida at the Swamp.
Blew out rival Louisville.
Josh Allen consensus defensive POY.
Benny Snell becomes all-time rushing leader.

Give Stoops more money than Cal.

Mitch deserves a ton of credit as well. Longest tenured AD in the SEC. Invested in a football program that wasn't ever really supported enough.

VN Store

Back