Versus Belmont - Lady Vols Only 10 Turnovers- Free Throws 79%

Spook1

Ancient Vol
Early in the season, I constantly bitched about the high number of turnovers and the low percentage of free throws made. Today, they were fantastic with only 10 turnovers and 79% free throw shooting. Congratulations for getting things corrected...Go Lady Vols lets now do in with the SEC teams.

Early in the season, I constantly bitched about the high number of turnovers and the low percentage of free throws made. Today, they were fantastic with only 10 turnovers and 79% free throw shooting. Congratulations for getting things corrected...Go Lady Vols lets now do in with the SEC teams.

I guess you found the two shiny pennies in this fountain

Belmont made the defense look totally incompetent with all of the open layups they made. Belmont outhustled the LVs and got way too many rebounds and loose balls against our better length, speed and talent. A win is a win, but we need to play better in conference play. We should expect the talented Freshmen will get better and better as the season progresses.

Reactions: cardvolfan
They are still horribly undercoached. They cant play D and they run around jacking up 3's on offense. Pitiful.

I think the defense did look poor but the threes this year look to be a part of good ball rotation not out of desperation. I think maybe one or two of those threes went up because people weren’t scoring but the others looked pretty good and they shot 42% from 3 so that is actually pretty good!

Off topic...whatever happened to big time Holly supporter, excuse maker and board policeman Everybody Loves @Chris89128?

Years later it would be nice to get an uninformed opinion on why she still doesn't have a Final 4 appearance.

To be clear...I'm not questioning Warlick's coaching ability. I think she is one of the top in the nation. I think the Lady Vols is the favorite for the state championship this year barring an upset.

I think the defense did look poor but the threes this year look to be a part of good ball rotation not out of desperation. I think maybe one or two of those threes went up because people weren’t scoring but the others looked pretty good and they shot 42% from 3 so that is actually pretty good!

In basketball like most sports kids of all ages learn offense. (in the back yard anywhere they play) When you were playing by yourself did you ever dream you were making a last second defensive play to save a game? No, it's always the winning basket or the winning homer run or the winning pass or catch that you dream. It should not be a surprise these young ladies are having to learn defense on the fly. Just give them time. ( or better or more coaching)

This team reminds me of a pick-up game team. They don't need teammates, because most of the players are me first players. Getting out rebounded by a much shorter team is ridicules! Defense and Rebounding is all about "Want To". You've got to dedicate yourself to playing defense and rebounding! These things reflect Leadership, or the lack thereof!

This team reminds me of a pick-up game team. They don't need teammates, because most of the players are me first players. Getting out rebounded by a much shorter team is ridicules! Defense and Rebounding is all about "Want To". You've got to dedicate yourself to playing defense and rebounding! These things reflect Leadership, or the lack thereof!

😂 I could of agreed with some of the stuff you said but to call THIS team who loves sharing the ball and I think overpass is crazy. I wish there were times Rennia would put up 20 + shots in the game but she loved getting her teammates involved.

In years passed I could agree with that assessment but not this team. People would hold on to the ball then jack up a shot to play hero ball. They always try to get there teammates involved. Now some throw up some bad shots but they are always looking for one another. Part of the problem with the freshman is that is what they were asked to do four 4 years.

Matter of fact I’m rewatching the game and Westbrook gets the rebound and she could have dribbled and waited for them to foul her to pad her stats (32.8 seconds left) but she passes it up to Meme to advance the ball. Then she passes to Rennia Davis when she could of held on to the ball again to pad her stats. Instead of scoring 20 she could have closer to 25-26. If she had just wanted to be selfish and held on to the ball.

So selfish players I am not seeing. Sorry!

While I will agree that not all are me first players, and I think in a few years they will be unstoppable, they've got to learn when to take a good shot and when not to over pass. If Westbrook can get to the rim against under sized players, she should do it until the defense changes. Defense, Defense, Defense, is what these young ladies need to learn more than anything! If you sit them until they make a whole hearted effort on defense, they will improve. Every team takes on the personality of their coach! Bad footwork, not knowing to give room to beat a player to a spot on the floor, things that most coaches teach in grade school, are all a part of the process. With all that said, Go Lady Vols!

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Defense looked horrible. How many times are you going to get beat back door and make an adjustment. Coach & player. With the athleticism our team has, our defense was horrible. Defense is effort and being smart, knowing your opponent, doing your homework.
I’m glad we got the win. But I’m kind of nervous going into SEC play. Auburn on Thursday.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
There are times when the bounce pass is the best pass on offense. Almost forgotten talent. Maybe because it is dangerous when post is well guarded. Good to the corners to prevent the over pass
when selectively used.

Until we have better coaching, the university is allowing the mockery to continue. Warlick has had more than ample time to show her merit as the leader of a first-rate women's college basketball team. The results speak for themselves. Phil, are you turning a deaf ear to what we are seeing as opposed to what we could have.....a top-tier Final Four team yearly?

Until we have better coaching, the university is allowing the mockery to continue. Warlick has had more than ample time to show her merit as the leader of a first-rate women's college basketball team. The results speak for themselves. Phil, are you turning a deaf ear to what we are seeing as opposed to what we could have.....a top-tier Final Four team yearly?

I have not posted much the last few years because I don't have much good to say and I want those who are sensitive to still feel they have a safe space.

This has been discussed a lot over the years. Warlick presents a dilemma, she is still recruiting so well and overall there are enough terrible teams that she will continue to win 20 games annually. Well it's hard to fire a person that appears to be doing pretty good winning 20-25 games. The women's groups would raise cain. Does she need to be given the boot? Of course. She could do us a favor and admit the job is too big for her but it looks like it ain't going to happen. If this was the mens game, she would be gone because it's a blue blood program. The rules are different and that is the part that is bad.

Reactions: VFL17
I have not posted much the last few years because I don't have much good to say and I want those who are sensitive to still feel they have a safe space.

This has been discussed a lot over the years. Warlick presents a dilemma, she is still recruiting so well and overall there are enough terrible teams that she will continue to win 20 games annually. Well it's hard to fire a person that appears to be doing pretty good winning 20-25 games. The women's groups would raise cain. Does she need to be given the boot? Of course. She could do us a favor and admit the job is too big for her but it looks like it ain't going to happen. If this was the mens game, she would be gone because it's a blue blood program. The rules are different and that is the part that is bad.
Very well-said, my friend. I believe all the things you said to be absolutely spot-on. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: VFL17
Defense looked horrible. How many times are you going to get beat back door and make an adjustment. Coach & player. With the athleticism our team has, our defense was horrible. Defense is effort and being smart, knowing your opponent, doing your homework.
I’m glad we got the win. But I’m kind of nervous going into SEC play. Auburn on Thursday.

yes agreed defense was horrible.... and the rebounding essentially even.... i think 41 to 39 not a proud stat when thinking of opponent Belmont

CHW will never be fired! Well, when it comes basketball related. Unless there’s some misconduct. Look, her Jersey is in the rafters! I appreciate Holly Warlick and what she’s done for this program but she would be best suited as an assistant coach.

Reactions: IPleadInsanity

You are exactly correct. I haven't posted yet this year because I seldom have anything good to say about the woman pretending to be a coach. I attended my first game on Friday night and nothing has changed. She is completely clueless on how to coach. It has been a number of years since I have seen so much INDIVIDUAL talent on one team. I would never have thought that she would be allowed to pull our program down to average at best, destroying what Pat gave her whole life to build. Anyone who had any respect for Pat, and what she built would just admit her failure and step down. I understand that many people like her as a person, and that she has proven to be an EXCELLENT recruiter. I think the same thing is about to happen to the Lady Vol's that has happened to the football program, and it will take many years to move up to where we were. I hope we win every game, but after watching and listening to her interview postgame, we may be in for a long season. I just read she told her team that with Auburn's style of play that they (Lady Vols) would turn the ball over, how's that for teaching, preparing, and encouragement. The only comment that I made about Fulmer when he got the Athletic Director is that is friends with Holly, and she would not be fired. You can love her, or hate her, but you can't change the fact that she can not coach.

Reactions: BreatheUT and VFL17
You are exactly correct. I haven't posted yet this year because I seldom have anything good to say about the woman pretending to be a coach. I attended my first game on Friday night and nothing has changed. She is completely clueless on how to coach. It has been a number of years since I have seen so much INDIVIDUAL talent on one team. I would never have thought that she would be allowed to pull our program down to average at best, destroying what Pat gave her whole life to build. Anyone who had any respect for Pat, and what she built would just admit her failure and step down. I understand that many people like her as a person, and that she has proven to be an EXCELLENT recruiter. I think the same thing is about to happen to the Lady Vol's that has happened to the football program, and it will take many years to move up to where we were. I hope we win every game, but after watching and listening to her interview postgame, we may be in for a long season. I just read she told her team that with Auburn's style of play that they (Lady Vols) would turn the ball over, how's that for teaching, preparing, and encouragement. The only comment that I made about Fulmer when he got the Athletic Director is that is friends with Holly, and she would not be fired. You can love her, or hate her, but you can't change the fact that she can not coach.

You are absolutely right on the money Holly would have been a head coach years ago with her resume if she could coach unfortunately that's not the case ….been saying it for years - wish I was wrong but I'm not!!!!

200.gif

Oh great...we can now celebrate another bash/fire Holly thread.

VN Store

Back