Turner not playing?

Turner dressed out but again stood off to the side during warm ups. Kent however was back in the layup lines. Maybe Barnes is just keeping some of his powder dry for the long season.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I wonder if Kent will get some PT against Tennessee Tech.

You'd think. But the SEC schedule is backloaded, so he could get his feet wet in January or early February and maybe still get up to speed for the stretch run.

I've never seen any thing official about UT applying to get Kent a medical hardship waiver for 2017-18 (they can actually still do that more than 2 years from now), although he's listed on the roster as a RS freshman. Occasionally 2 years are given for a medical hardship waiver for the same injury. My guess is that they're staying quiet and keeping all options open... possibly hoping for an NCAA rule change also.

I don’t know what injury he had. If rotator cuff was involved recovery can vary wildly. I had a complete tear through and it too me two years to rehab. At two years I could shoot without pain. Pain alters your shot. I have see other people recover in six months. Really PMO.

Sure hope this is not another year in which one player keeps us out of elite 8 or final 4 (ala Kyle Alexander)

This whole thing with Turner is starting to seem fishy to me. Is there more to the story than just being injured?

When Turner has played, it is obvious that he is quite rusty. I think he is truly injured and CRB has the luxury of letting him heal for an extended period of time.

I'm hoping that we can get him back in the rotation by mid-season.

I wish we weren't left to interpret CRB's comments about Turner's availability being up to when Lamonte decides he's ready to play.

I'd also like to know what Turner does during practices. Is he doing any of the conditioning work? Does he practice free throws? I wouldn't think he's doing very much since he's sitting out the pre-game warm ups.

Almost equally mysterious is Zach Kent's status.

Reactions: walkenvol
I wish we weren't left to interpret CRB's comments about Turner's availability being up to when Lamonte decides he's ready to play.

I'd also like to know what Turner does during practices. Is he doing any of the conditioning work? Does he practice free throws? I wouldn't think he's doing very much since he's sitting out the pre-game warm ups.

According to the last 2-3 open practices Grant Ramey and Rob Lewis have both stated Turner was a full participant in practices..so they were surprised when he didn’t play the last game.

According to the last 2-3 open practices Grant Ramey and Rob Lewis have both stated Turner was a full participant in practices..so they were surprised when he didn’t play the last game.

In one game, he had a wide open 12 footer and missed the entire rim.

I think something is bothering him from an injury standpoint.

Interesting. Maybe just precautionary. If so I don’t see any point in playing him against TN Tech. Maybe ease him back in against UGA

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Practice pictures on TOS before the Memphis game showed Lamonte scrimmaging.

That's very strange since he was protecting his left arm during warmups for the Wake Forest game. Maybe it keeps getting aggravated whenever he does try to go in practice.

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing CRB's intentions on the above. It sounds to me as if having a very good version of Turner is out-of-the-question for the rest of the season. My hope is that Johnson will become a dagger in the hearts of the SEC in the coming weeks.

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing CRB's intentions on the above. It sounds to me as if having a very good version of Turner is out-of-the-question for the rest of the season. My hope is that Johnson will become a dagger in the hearts of the SEC in the coming weeks.

If Johnson can step up his rebounding, then Turner's absence is muchly mitigated. Johnson's perimeter shooting has improved. Bowden is looking much more capable as a backup point guard compared to where he was 6 or 7 weeks ago.

Georgia is actually an improving team and they are at home. They led top 25 Arizona the entire game and lost at the end and won by the same margin we did against Georgia Tech on the road.
Yes they just played their best game of the year with a win over Georgia Tech. Georgia is not a good basketball team. And we shouldn’t need Turner to be at full strength - or even play - to win.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back