Auburn 60.1
Missouri 60.9
Arkansas 62.8
South Carolina 64.0
Mississippi 67.4
Alabama 67.8
Florida 71.6
Vanderbilt 72.6

Also who you have played is a very big part of how efficient you have been offensively and defensively. None of the SEC teams have set the world on fire playing difficult schedules. So going into league play don't think anyone will have much of an advantage of playing against difficult teams to get better.

Strength of Schedule of SEC Teams as of today.

Vanderbilt 44
South Carolina 47
Florida 56
Mississippi St 65
Tennessee 76
Alabama 102
Kentucky 107
Arkansas 109
Missouri 110
Texas A&M 118
LSU 122
Auburn 130
Mississippi 150
Georgia 225

From all this you would have to determine that Miss St. Is far and away the best team in the league both offensively and defensively. The next group would be Tennessee, Kentucky, Auburn, and South Carolina. Texas A&M has played a few games without their best player so their stats are a little muddled but they seem to be next with Arkansas, Alabama, LSU, and Georgia being in the next group. The Georgia sos is terrible but one game they played versus Maryland was only a seven point loss even though they have lost four games with their 225 sos. The bottom feeders of the league seem to be Vandy, Florida, Mississippi. So time to see who finishes where looking forward to the season.

This is terrific info. Thanks!

I don't want to rag on them, but is anyone else as surprised as I am that Vanderbilt has so drastically declined (they are 4-8) under coach Stephanie White?

They have had a lot of key transfers the last couple years. Seems like she is having a hard time keeping the talent around, also several assistant coaching changes already, just seems like they are very unorganized which makes it difficult to get anything going.

Everyone thought White would be able to attract top recruits but so far that has not been true. I agree with Franklin Pierce, it is looking like if they don't have a big turn around next year she will be out of a job, they have really gone backwards. Watching them play they all just look lost, seems like nobody wants to have the ball and nobody knows what to do on offense or defense. Won't be the first time that a successful WNBA coach did not transfer well to the college game. It is much more difficult because the kids have other obligations and most of the players on your team wont be playing basketball as a career.

This is only White's third season at Vandy, and when she arrived the cupboard was pretty bare. Her undoing is going to be recruiting, because she's hardly sniffing at a top 20 recruiting ranking in 3 seasons. I'm sure Vandy's admission standards aren't making her job any easier. I hope their admin now appreciates Melanie Balcomb more, because she was better at doing more with less than any other coach in women's basketball.

Why would any high level recruit sign on to play basketball at Vanderbilt?

And just look at the arena they play in. The people who drew up plans for that arena that was built in the early 1960's were likely on crack cocaine.

Reactions: VolBall09
even watching a game is equally difficult in that arena. Franklin, I only wonder like you, how an architect could have sold plan to the academic leadership of Vanderbilt.

Why would any high level recruit sign on to play basketball at Vanderbilt?

The Vanderbilt degree and network. They will make a lot more money with that degree than they will playing a game. I've personally seen how that degree opens doors that are normally closed. I've always looked at that arena as a competitive advantage so I can see why they are in no hurry to modernize.

The Vanderbilt degree and network. They will make a lot more money with that degree than they will playing a game. I've personally seen how that degree opens doors that are normally closed. I've always looked at that arena as a competitive advantage so I can see why they are in no hurry to modernize.

That antiquated arena and that possible future Vandy degree Ain't winning them many basketball games.

Last edited:
With Mississippi State such a favorite to win the SEC.... it always amazes me upon reflection..... McDonald's All Americans... we have 6 ... Mississippi State has 0 (zero) There is a gap in there somewhere

Reactions: mcannon1
With Mississippi State such a favorite to win the SEC.... it always amazes me upon reflection..... McDonald's All Americans... we have 6 ... Mississippi State has 0 (zero) There is a gap in there somewhere

MSST has one HS AA...the transfer from UConn Espinoza-Hunter, who comes off the bench. This is actually a very talented team when you take into consideration the low rated/middle of the pack starters who developed into very good to great players. If their bench full of 4/5* players starts to contribute regularly, they could be back in the FF.

Tennessee is better than I expected them to be, given they lack a proven inside game and came into the season without a proven scorer. Obviously, the scoring improvements by Westbrook and Jackson has been key to their early success, and they should finish in the top 3 of the SEC assuming they can keep pace. Truthfully, the SEC is extremely weak this year. Outside of MSST, there are no top tier teams, so Tennessee could very well finish 2nd in league play.

MSST has one HS AA...the transfer from UConn Espinoza-Hunter, who comes off the bench. This is actually a very talented team when you take into consideration the low rated/middle of the pack starters who developed into very good to great players. If their bench full of 4/5* players starts to contribute regularly, they could be back in the FF.

Tennessee is better than I expected them to be, given they lack a proven inside game and came into the season without a proven scorer. Obviously, the scoring improvements by Westbrook and Jackson has been key to their early success, and they should finish in the top 3 of the SEC assuming they can keep pace. Truthfully, the SEC is extremely weak this year. Outside of MSST, there are no top tier teams, so Tennessee could very well finish 2nd in league play.

Did not know that Espinoza Hunter was a HS AA I know she was NY player of year however.... I just looked at McD AA, it is an easy gauge.... and of course my point being.... if we have 6 and Ms State has zero, then why are they so revered and respected and nobody is giving us credit for being a favorite for winning the SEC based on having the best players.... maybe i am off base though

Did not know that Espinoza Hunter was a HS AA I know she was NY player of year however.... I just looked at McD AA, it is an easy gauge.... and of course my point being.... if we have 6 and Ms State has zero, then why are they so revered and respected and nobody is giving us credit for being a favorite for winning the SEC based on having the best players.... maybe i am off base though
Easy, coaching and player development. Hopefully we will improve in these areas.

Reactions: Bret178

HS credentials don't mean much once you have a year or two under your belt. McCowan may not have been a McD AA, but she was a WBCA AA as a junior and will likely be SEC POY. Not surprised that the team with the best and most dominant player in the league and enough supporting pieces is picked to win.

HS credentials don't mean much once you have a year or two under your belt. McCowan may not have been a McD AA, but she was a WBCA AA as a junior and will likely be SEC POY. Not surprised that the team with the best and most dominant player in the league and enough supporting pieces is picked to win.

If a coach can not get the best out of a player, u can have 10 MC AA that may not mean anything, but teams with just one or nothing improve to be stars.

Reactions: VFL17
Holly to date hasn't been able to get best out of her players nor does she for some reason seem to have a clue on coaching.... not very good with game plans, poor substitutions, stays with her favorite players too long when they're struggling, still being a friend to the players instead of their coach, etc. the list is long - bottom line till she proves me wrong I don't think she can coach her way out of a paper bag.....like her and truly hope I'm wrong and she wins a NC but not likely from where I sit and I have pretty good seats!

Reactions: vettefool
Holly to date hasn't been able to get best out of her players nor does she for some reason seem to have a clue on coaching.... not very good with game plans, poor substitutions, stays with her favorite players too long when they're struggling, still being a friend to the players instead of their coach, etc. the list is long - bottom line till she proves me wrong I don't think she can coach her way out of a paper bag.....like her and truly hope I'm wrong and she wins a NC but not likely from where I sit and I have pretty good seats!

I'll never be mistaken for a Holly fan, but she's done a good job this year. Granted, the schedule was pretty weak, but even in the loss to Stanford, their offense looked potent...which is something I don't think I could say about other losses during the Holly Warlick area. Evina, MeMe (can't believe I'm saying this), and Rennia have been a potent and consistent trio on offense, and they are getting just enough from the rest of the players that their offense is clicking. If they don't implode and even if they don't make it to the E8/FF or win the SEC, I would say this might be her best coaching job to date. This team had the potential to be a real train-wreck given the youth of the team and unproven scorers, and she has got them right where they need to be right now.

I'll never be mistaken for a Holly fan, but she's done a good job this year. Granted, the schedule was pretty weak, but even in the loss to Stanford, their offense looked potent...which is something I don't think I could say about other losses during the Holly Warlick area. Evina, MeMe (can't believe I'm saying this), and Rennia have been a potent and consistent trio on offense, and they are getting just enough from the rest of the players that their offense is clicking. If they don't implode and even if they don't make it to the E8/FF or win the SEC, I would say this might be her best coaching job to date. This team had the potential to be a real train-wreck given the youth of the team and unproven scorers, and she has got them right where they need to be right now.

i would not say our offense looked potent. Right now it`s a hit or miss with the offense. If you look at some of the teams in the SEC there offense looked potent. To me the jury is still out on Holly and this team. And not to forget our post play will be a issue from here on out. KK will be at 80 85 % for the rest of the year with that knee.

Reactions: olddog
i would not say our offense looked potent. Right now it`s a hit or miss with the offense. If you look at some of the teams in the SEC there offense looked potent. To me the jury is still out on Holly and this team. And not to forget our post play will be a issue from here on out. KK will be at 80 85 % for the rest of the year with that knee.

I agree that post play will be an issue, but it's less of an issue this season than last season. Outside of MSST, no other SEC team has a strong inside game. That game and ND will expose the weakness/inexperience of the Tennessee interior, but I don't see any other SEC teams, save a healthy SC, that can create a serious mismatch in the post.

I say that the offense has looked good because it's been a long time since Tennessee has had reliable perimeter scorers, and this year they have three that have stepped up. Whether that continues once the caliber of perimeter defenses improves remains to be seen, but they are ahead of where I thought they'd be at this point of the season.

I understand your point... it is just depressing to see us consistently get the HS all americans last few years as opposed to our opponents, and get beaten by them

I’m no HW fan either, but I will give her credit on an obviously improved offense this year. We have two players that consistently hit from the perimeter, and it makes us look so much better. She’s done some things with motion offense and weave action that consistently get us penetration.
Just because it’s improved, though, doesn’t mean that our offense is necessarily “good.” Teams like Notre Dame, UCONN, and Oregon still look way better than us on offense.
What’s more concerning to me is the defense. We play extremely poor man to man defense. I think that for the first time in HW’s tenure, it’s the defense and not the offense that’s the problem.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
I’m no HW fan either, but I will give her credit on an obviously improved offense this year. We have two players that consistently hit from the perimeter, and it makes us look so much better. She’s done some things with motion offense and weave action that consistently get us penetration.
Just because it’s improved, though, doesn’t mean that our offense is necessarily “good.” Teams like Notre Dame, UCONN, and Oregon still look way better than us on offense.
What’s more concerning to me is the defense. We play extremely poor man to man defense. I think that for the first time in HW’s tenure, it’s the defense and not the offense that’s the problem.

That's probably true, and one of the reasons that I think they will get dominated by MSST. It's all but given that McCowan will dominate the smaller, less skilled and less experienced Tennessee posts if they try to guard her 1-on-1. MSST only has 1 true perimeter scorer, so they should be able to clamp down on McCowan with multiple defenders and dare MSST to shoot. While the MSST starting backcourt doesn't shoot well from 3, they both have nasty mid-range jumpers and can attack the rim. If Tennessee doesn't tighten up their defense, MSST won't need to hit 3's if their guards can take it to the basket all game long.

I haven't seen UConn/ND play this year outside of their H2H matchup, but I've seen a couple of Oregon games and they sure do play pretty basketball. Their pick and roll game is a thing of beauty, and they have a strong, balanced starting 5 with scorers at each position.

VN Store

Back