Strange personal stories

LouderVol

Extra and Terrestrial
Ok, thread idea is to talk about strange stories not directly tied with anything. Family stories, stuff you did/saw once, superstitions. Stuff like that.

My dad won't drink ice(d) water. Doesnt even like to drink cooled water. Only drinks straight out of the tap. Story goes when he was young his dad hired some help at the farm. Deep in the summer doing something in big fields, forget if it was cotton or hay or whatever. They took a break and went inside to get drinks. One of the guys drinks a big glass of cold water and has a heart attack and dies in front of everyone. They say the sudden cold on his system shocked him causing the heart attack. No idea if that is possible, it was the 50s or 60s in rural Alabama so might not be been the best first responders to make a real call. But now my dad doesnt drink cold water, and if he can he won't drink anything with ice.

Next one is mine. When I was younger we went to the Grand Canyon, on the south rim. I was off by myself and about 12, and had been there before so my parents trusted me. I was walking along the rim and eventually comes across some old mines and buildings. Ten minutes into it a park ranger comes and finds me and asks me how I got in. I told him, he said there is supposed to be a fence and I could get in trouble. I told him there was no fence and showed him. Before you get to the mine area the rim splits, one stays low and the other goes high. At the time the fence only hit the highest rim. So he let me go as there were no markings or anything saying keep out. He told me these were the old uranium mines and if I had gone in I could have been exposed to some radiation, not good for growing kids. This was before 9/11 so security wasn't a high concern then. But next time I went out there I checked the same area and they had extended the fence to the lower shelf and several feet down the cliff face.

Reactions: SmokinBob
My grandfather bought my grandmother a Seth Thomas mantel clock when they bought their house in 1922. He died in 1950 or so, but she lived until 1980. I was out of town when she died, getting there the next day. When we picked up the clock (which she left me in her will), it had stopped at the time that she died. There was no one there in her house to have stopped or reset it.

It's at a local antique clock repair getting cleaned and shined up, and it will go back on my mantel when it's done.

My grandfather bought my grandmother a Seth Thomas mantel clock when they bought their house in 1922. He died in 1950 or so, but she lived until 1980. I was out of town when she died, getting there the next day. When we picked up the clock (which she left me in her will), it had stopped at the time that she died. There was no one there in her house to have stopped or reset it.

It's at a local antique clock repair getting cleaned and shined up, and it will go back on my mantel when it's done.

I think I'd be terrified of that clock.

I suffer from sleep paralysis and I've had several weird things happen during those.

I did have one experience about 10 years ago when my wife was out of town with her mom. I went to bed and at the time I used a humidifier that was right next to my side of the bed. I had filled it up and turned it on right before I went to sleep. When I got up the next morning, everything in the room had been unplugged. The humidifier, clock radio, stereo, cell phone charger, and a weather radio, and only 2 of them were plugged up right near me. I have no recollection of doing any of that and I don't have a history of sleep walking or anything like that. The funniest part is it ticked me off more than freaked me out and I even asked my dog if she did it.

As a young teenager me and buddy of mine were out riding our dirt bikes around town.
Just off the main drag was an old family home of two grown men who'd done quite well for themselves.
The mother of the two brothers had lived there several years all alone after the boys were gone. She had had passed away years ago, so the home was vacant, run down and abandoned. The property was on a small hill, the trees and bushes had grown to the point the house and out buildings were not very visible from the road.

Being young inquisitive and nosy we road onto the backside of property to " look around" . There were two out buildings, a small barn and a shed/carport along with the house.
So we snooped around the buildings finding nothing more than dirt, rocks and old canning jars. Bored with that we moved on to the house.
We approached the back of this old house, story and a half If I recall. The windows and door were boarded shut, we poked our nose's to the windows but really dont recall being able to see inside.

We strolled around to the front side of the house and...........sitting on the front porch, in a wooden rocker was and old lady.
I can still see her now and it brings goose bumps to type this today. Gray hair, glasses, round face and body with an apron on. Just sitting there rocking, looking straight out. She never acknowledged us.
Bare in mind we had been on this property in broad daylight for quite sometime, snooping around making noise etc.

Well the both of us about filled our pants, we ran to our dirt bikes fired them up and got the heck out of there.
I remember glancing back over my shoulder to see if the old lady was aiming a shotgun at me.

Once we were long gone from there we stopped and discussed the situation. Who was that lady? Was it just some random person? Why would an old lady be sitting on the front porch of an abandoned house? Why did she not run us off , why did she not acknowledge our presence.
Was it the ghost of the old lady who had passed away years earlier.

We never went back onto that property again. And never really talked about it a lot.

Ok, thread idea is to talk about strange stories not directly tied with anything. Family stories, stuff you did/saw once, superstitions. Stuff like that.

My dad won't drink ice(d) water. Doesnt even like to drink cooled water. Only drinks straight out of the tap. Story goes when he was young his dad hired some help at the farm. Deep in the summer doing something in big fields, forget if it was cotton or hay or whatever. They took a break and went inside to get drinks. One of the guys drinks a big glass of cold water and has a heart attack and dies in front of everyone. They say the sudden cold on his system shocked him causing the heart attack. No idea if that is possible, it was the 50s or 60s in rural Alabama so might not be been the best first responders to make a real call. But now my dad doesnt drink cold water, and if he can he won't drink anything with ice.

That’s why the Coke’s are on the shelf in the garage? And none in the fridge?

That’s a good story

When @LouderVol was in elementary school he was an avid Bama fan. In school they had a contest to see who could make the most noise. Tennessee or Bama fans. I’m told by a reliable source (his mother) that as the only Bama fan he made more noise than all the other kids.

This is a fun thread.

When @LouderVol was in elementary school he was an avid Bama fan. In school they had a contest to see who could make the most noise. Tennessee or Bama fans. I’m told by a reliable source (his mother) that as the only Bama fan he made more noise than all the other kids.

This is a fun thread.
There is a reason I am LouderVol.

Reactions: NorCalVol67

VN Store

Back