Who can beat us?

LSU coach’s - Will Wade was the manager of my son’s HS BB team. One the the smartest young minds in the sport - even back then. He will have a great career in coaching at any level.

Agreed. Both of my sons went to FRA also, and played basketball. Will comes from good stock.

There will be unexpected losses. TN isn't going to make it through 35 games without key players staying out of foul trouble or turned ankles or just flat out poor shooting days or catching teams that are shooting lights out. The meltdown by the drive by posters will be spectacular.

Reactions: awaitingawin
If this team stays healthy they are a Final Four team. They’ve shown that they can hang with and beat the top teams in the country. I honestly believe that Tennessee would’ve beaten Kansas had Grant not fouled out. I want another shot at them for sure.

Buttttttt.....................he did. Guess what, that's part of the game. I always find it amusing when statements like this are made. Like the refs have it out for 1 team or 1 player. Other favorites of mine for the "we would have won except" crowd:

1. We shot a better percentage. Because the other teams defense had no effect on this.
2. We rebounded better. Because the other team had no effect on this.
3. We didn't turn it over so much. Because the defense had no effect on this and/or UT purposely turned it over.
4. Player X had scored more. Because the defense/scouting report had nothing to do with him being limited.

Picking up on the theme here?

Kansas, Duke

There are a lot of teams that can beat UT. Any game with a single digit betting line in college basketball is pretty much a pick em. There are 4 teams in the SEC that should beat UT (Kentucky, LSU, Auburn, MSU). All have better talent and equal (Wade) or better coaching (Cal, Pearl, Howland). These teams and any of the other teams in the Top 20 are capable of beating UT. Vol fans are acting like this team is Duke, Kentucky, or 1990-91 UNLV.

There are a lot of teams that can beat UT. Any game with a single digit betting line in college basketball is pretty much a pick em. There are 4 teams in the SEC that should beat UT (Kentucky, LSU, Auburn, MSU). All have better talent and equal (Wade) or better coaching (Cal, Pearl, Howland). These teams and any of the other teams in the Top 20 are capable of beating UT. Vol fans are acting like this team is Duke, Kentucky, or 1990-91 UNLV.

Why did Tennessee go 5-2 against these teams last year?

Listen I get that Barnes made Penny look like a HS coach out there, but trying to discredit Tennessee only makes you look even worse.

Why did Tennessee go 5-2 against these teams last year?

Listen I get that Barnes made Penny look like a HS coach out there, but trying to discredit Tennessee only makes you look even worse.

That was last year. Every year is different. Since last year, LSU added 2 pros - one a 1st rounder. Kentucky has 3-4 1st rounders on the roster. Auburn was injured last year and healthy this year. MSU signed a Top 20 class since last year. I've watched all of these teams, and all are capable of beating the Vols.

Not sure how Barnes made Penny look like a HS coach. Vols were favored by 11-12, won by 10. Penny's team, though smaller, competed physically, turned UT over at an alarming rate, and hung 92 on one of the best defensive teams even though the leading scorer was ice cold. All this while inheriting a subpar roster, signing better talent than what was on the roster in 30 days, and being on the job for 7 months. I would think that a "Hall of FAme" coach would be light years better than a coach with less than a year under his belt. The score and in game adjustments simply don't show a huge discrepancy between the coaches.

Barnes is more like Tubby Smith than Cal, Izzo, K, or Self. Have fun with 2 game Rick.

If they regain that ability to shut down the other team defensively for 3 or 4 minutes combined with this offense they will be a tough out.

That was last year. Every year is different. Since last year, LSU added 2 pros - one a 1st rounder. Kentucky has 3-4 1st rounders on the roster. Auburn was injured last year and healthy this year. MSU signed a Top 20 class since last year. I've watched all of these teams, and all are capable of beating the Vols.

Not sure how Barnes made Penny look like a HS coach. Vols were favored by 11-12, won by 10. Penny's team, though smaller, competed physically, turned UT over at an alarming rate, and hung 92 on one of the best defensive teams even though the leading scorer was ice cold. All this while inheriting a subpar roster, signing better talent than what was on the roster in 30 days, and being on the job for 7 months. I would think that a "Hall of FAme" coach would be light years better than a coach with less than a year under his belt. The score and in game adjustments simply don't show a huge discrepancy between the coaches.

Barnes is more like Tubby Smith than Cal, Izzo, K, or Self. Have fun with 2 game Rick.
We are better than we were last year. We are more experienced and are light years away from a coaching standpoint than a LSU or Memphis. If it wasn't for one of your players scoring 18 straight then you guys would have lost by 25. Face it, Memphis was overmatched.

We were favored by 9.5, and covered, winning by 10, even with your last second garbage time 3. I have no idea why you spend so much time on our boards just to type nonsense, perhaps because being on your team’s board would remind you too much that you cheer for a team that won’t make the tourney and has an AAU coach who lies about his opponents and whose idea of teaching defense is to show his players the best flopping techniques.

Last edited:

You omitted the part where we dropped a hundo in your own damn house, how come?

102 > 92

All time series... Tiger High isn't winning despite having most of the head-to-head games during the worst era of TN basketball. TN's worst head coach went 2-0 versus two of Memphis State's most celebrated teams.

I definitely think you are off to say that 4 teams in the conference have better talent and equal or better coaching. That means we would be 5th in the SEC at best when we will finish first or second. Barnes may not be Coach K but you can’t deny he’s done well here. We will absolutely be playing the second weekend of the tournament and possibly the third. We will see how Hardaway does. He’s certainly a good promoter as that’s the only explanation for him talking so much recently. He knew he was full of it but he also knew it was exposure for his program.

102 > 92

All time series... Tiger High isn't winning despite having most of the head-to-head games during the worst era of TN basketball. TN's worst head coach went 2-0 versus two of Memphis State's most celebrated teams.

You realize UT refused to play Memphis in the 70s and 80s when Memphis was playing for national titles, Final Fours, and 4 straight Sweet 16s, right? Somehow, the series was renewed during Memphis' probation, when it appeared they would be down. Similar to how UT football has refused to play Memphis these last 5 years.

As far as the 2-0 vs Penny's teams while he was playing, we have an Elite 8 banner hanging in our arena from one of those years. Those teams weren't juggernauts (6 seed in 1992 and 7 seed in 1993) and are probably the 3rd or 4th most celebrated teams in Tiger history. Honestly, the majority of Tiger fans have no recollection or angst over in season games. I didn't even remember that we played those 2 years until it was brought up prior to the game a couple of weeks ago. What I do recall vividly that year was the 1st game vs a ranked DePaul team (1st game ever played in the Pyramid), beating #3 seed Arkansas in the 2nd round, and losing for the 4th time that year to Cincinnati and Nick "F****ing" Van Exel in the Elite 8. Tell me how big is that banner in Thompson Boling that says "1992" Defeated Memphis State with a horrible coach the year they went to the Elite 8"? Does this one hang next to the "2006-2007: Defeated Florida 3 out of 4 times the years Florida won back to back National Titles"? Keep focusing on the battles, Memphis and legit programs focus on the wars.

You realize UT refused to play Memphis in the 70s and 80s when Memphis was playing for national titles, Final Fours, and 4 straight Sweet 16s, right? Somehow, the series was renewed during Memphis' probation, when it appeared they would be down. Similar to how UT football has refused to play Memphis these last 5 years.

As far as the 2-0 vs Penny's teams while he was playing, we have an Elite 8 banner hanging in our arena from one of those years. Those teams weren't juggernauts (6 seed in 1992 and 7 seed in 1993) and are probably the 3rd or 4th most celebrated teams in Tiger history. Honestly, the majority of Tiger fans have no recollection or angst over in season games. I didn't even remember that we played those 2 years until it was brought up prior to the game a couple of weeks ago. What I do recall vividly that year was the 1st game vs a ranked DePaul team (1st game ever played in the Pyramid), beating #3 seed Arkansas in the 2nd round, and losing for the 4th time that year to Cincinnati and Nick "F****ing" Van Exel in the Elite 8. Tell me how big is that banner in Thompson Boling that says "1992" Defeated Memphis State with a horrible coach the year they went to the Elite 8"? Does this one hang next to the "2006-2007: Defeated Florida 3 out of 4 times the years Florida won back to back National Titles"? Keep focusing on the battles, Memphis and legit programs focus on the wars.
This guy thinks UT has a terrible team, is a garbage program and has an overrated coach. He cares nothing about the Vols and knows Memphis will be winning again soon.

He also spends all of his time posting long, hopelessly biased diatribes on UT’s most popular message board, swatting away the reality that has plunged Memphis into irrelevance.

Reactions: Vol49er

Scoreboard:
TN 102
Penny's Thugs 92

Also, Wade owns Penny. There's a reason it's called Tiger High.

I've got no problem with opposing fans participating in this forum.

That being said, tdawg can cool the tough guy act. I think you know some of the comments you made are fallacious. Sorry about our sore winners, I think they're obnoxious too. Stick around for a while if you want bro.

Mark my words. We want achieve any of our goals (SEC Championships, Final Four, etc.) without a healthy Turner. Not only is he a very good player but we simply have no depth at guard. Oh, sure we will have a nice record and finished ranked but I want more than that this year.

Reactions: Catbone
If Turner doesn't return soon, Campbell and the other 2 walk-on guards probably see a lot more time versus the lesser opponents to preserve Bone and Bowden for the long haul. They can't go 32-38 per game and have enough left in the tank come March.

Reactions: ColinS
There will be unexpected losses. TN isn't going to make it through 35 games without key players staying out of foul trouble or turned ankles or just flat out poor shooting days or catching teams that are shooting lights out. The meltdown by the drive by posters will be spectacular.

And the enivitable poorly officiated game or 2

In the SEC, no road game is a given. Not everyone is at UT’s level, but no one is terrible.

Along with Tennessee, Kentucky, MSU, Auburn are definitely tournament teams. In fact, the only team I think you can definitely eliminate at this point is SC, maybe Georgia. They just don’t have the talent or coaching. TAMU, Vandy and Florida are doubtful, but I wouldn’t be totally shocked if one of those ended up sneaking in or at the very least getting a win over a team they shouldn’t beat (like Tennessee.)

The SEC is not as good as last year, but we will have some tough matchups, especially on the road, and definitely for as long as Turner is out. WV is going to be tough without Turner too, and we are lucky that game is in Knoxville.

If we went into the tournament with three losses or less...I would say we over performed. 5 or less we are right we’re would should be...more than that...I would be surprised.

Regardless of our record entering the tournament, if we are healthy we will be ready to make a run. The talent is there to beat anyone on any night. The maturity level of this team took a huge step up after Kansas, and we are going to be thankful for that game along with Zags and Louisville in March. These guys have been in battle with good teams and are ready for war.

VN Store

Back