'19 JUCO WR Javonta Payton (Tennessee commit)

Three-star Mississippi State WR commitment JaVonta Payton of Northwest Mississippi Community College in Senatobia, Miss., told me tonight that his signing plans remain uncertain, and there's a good chance he won't end up signing tomorrow. Sounded like he's still torn between Tennessee and Mississippi State after his official visit with the Vols over the weekend, and while there's a chance he could sign Thursday or Friday, he also might wait until February to sign.

One of the variables right now is whether Payton will be able to enroll in January. He's still trying to figure out whether he will be able to be an early enrollee, and if he's not going to enroll in January, that could convince him to just wait and sign in February.

None of this sounded set in stone, though, so we'll see if anything changes tomorrow. I asked him if he thought he would sign tomorrow, and he said he didn't think he would. Thursday or Friday still seemed to be on the table in his mind, but if he gets some things figured out sooner than expected, perhaps he still could sign tomorrow. We'll see.
-Callahan

We need Payton if not for this year, then definitely next year.

Jennings, Byrd, Calloway, and Johnson will all be gone next year. In 2020 we'll have Palmer and Murphy as our lead dogs, with still very young Keyton, Tillman, and maybe Ellis? Not a lot of depth there as well.

Sign Payton and you have a 6'2" senior with 4.4 speed as your lead dog.

I thought JaVonta is a 3 yr guy? He was a c/o '17 guy at my HS.
We need Payton if not for this year, then definitely next year.

Jennings, Byrd, Calloway, and Johnson will all be gone next year. In 2020 we'll have Palmer and Murphy as our lead dogs, with still very young Keyton, Tillman, and maybe Ellis? Not a lot of depth there as well.

Sign Payton and you have a 6'2" senior with 4.4 speed as your lead dog.

Peyton has reaffirmed his commitment to MS State per his Twitter. Grades are a bit of a concern.

My guess on Justin E. is that they gave it a heck of a run, but in the end he sticks with Alabama. But that's strictly a guess.
-Hubbs

VN Store

Back