Game Thread Lady Vols vs. Stanford

Can someone please tell me why the lady vol defense is so terrible? They preach defense and rebounding, they recruit athletes obviously rather than shooters, so seriously, why is it the Cardinal is able to run thru them like water thru a strainer?

Because their head coach is a poor teacher and play caller...

Just watched the game and I hate that we lost but saw some positive signs. Westbrook for one, I thought the team moved the ball well but shooting still has to come around. Rennia.... someone said she needs to see a sports psychologist and I think they may be right. We KNOW she can put on a show but I wonder if she is feeling to much pressure. Last year she could play free but this year everybody was saying she was the go to player. I dunno but she is quietly still having a pretty good season. The thing is we need her to be averaging more like 18-20 instead of 14 maybe that wasn’t fair to ask of her but she can do it so we aren’t lowering the bar. She had good moves and shots tonite they just didn’t fall. Someone else said the bench needs to continue to be developed and I agree! Evina is going to need a break with the physicality of the SEC so I hope Jaz is starting to feel comfortable.

Y’all are so reactionary. We didn’t play that bad. Sometimes you hit a hot team. Our defense and rebounding obviously could have been better, but you have to credit Stanford for hitting shots at a ridiculous percentage. There are maybe two teams in the country that could win a game against a team that shoots 60% from three and hits 15 of them. We limited turnovers and scored at a decent clip. They simply scored more. No defense was involved for either team in this game.

They made wide open 3s!!! Why so many wide open 3s??? Seems to me that if you defend the three from the get-go Stanford wouldn’t get so comfortable that they could start throwing up circus 3’s and make them. Ball hawking defense is not gonna cut it against the well coached, high IQ Stanford brains. Stop sagging off looking for a strip so the post passes it out perfectly for a 3. Holly is still trying to square peg the round hole with her knock-off of Matthew Mitchell’s 40 minutes of dread. That has never gotten K anywhere in particular, especially not to a final 4.

I would like to know what the defensive plan was before Holly blames the players for missing defensive assignments.

Want a new coach, I say bring in C Viv! She wants a NC before retiring. Guarantee Tennessee does not have the defensive woes with this same team of players.

I also think we are seeing Ms. Westbrook develop not only into one of the top guards in the SEC but overall one of the best guards in the country. She still has a ways to go but she has legit All American potential and if she continues to play like this and can stay healthy the sky if the limit for her and her team. I actually saw Zay Green push with pace but slow the ball down and make some good decisions tonite. Her spin moves and shots are coming up just short so you gotta think they will start falling. Collins is gonna go hard while she is in there.

A loss sucks! But I am still excited to see what this team can do. They will take some lumps but unlike teams in the past where u sorta felt like ok this team is outplaying it’s potential i feel like this team can still grow a lot and make improvements.

Last edited:
Holly with yet another disastrous coaching job. The descent into the mammoth chasm of despair and despondency has begun in earnest towards its ultimate destination of the cesspool of women's basketball. The tsunami of suck that characterizes Hollys annual clown show was on full display in this wretched performance of puke. The malignant crap cancer that adheres to Hollys teams like a leach on a manatee and sucks the life out of every organism it touches was clearly evident from the outset. Disappointment....disgust and disaster are always the final destination of Hollys annual tour de gross. This is but the 1st stop on Hollys tour of incompetency. All aboard the annual excuse train. You are sure to enjoy your stops at Garbage Land and Dumpster City along the way....as Holly is more than eager to take you for tours of these and many other destinations of deviance and disgust. Come one come all to the greatest s@@t show on earth. Your ringmaster of regret will show you the way.

Holly with yet another disastrous coaching job. The descent into the mammoth chasm of despair and despondency has begun in earnest towards its ultimate destination of the cesspool of women's basketball. The tsunami of suck that characterizes Hollys annual clown show was on full display in this wretched performance of puke. The malignant crap cancer that adheres to Hollys teams like a leach on a manatee and sucks the life out of every organism it touches was clearly evident from the outset. Disappointment....disgust and disaster are always the final destination of Hollys annual tour de gross. This is but the 1st stop on Hollys tour of incompetency. All aboard the annual excuse train. You are sure to enjoy your stops at Garbage Land and Dumpster City along the way....as Holly is more than eager to take you for tours of these and many other destinations of deviance and disgust. Come one come all to the greatest s@@t show on earth. Your ringmaster of regret will show you the way.
Troll much ?

Because their head coach is a poor teacher and play caller...

Players figured things out on there own. It's sad because, when someone like Holly spent time under a high profile program, side by side with a pro coach who always preached Defense & Rebounding, what else does she needs to learn. I was following the game on my phone, and noticed that vols didn't play bad but the problem is they can't stop them from scoring. Each time they score 2, Stanford scores 4, and same as Texas game, each team constantly shooting 3's while they never stopped Texas driving in or shooting 3's. They were lucky to won because vols points kept pouring till the end. Lady vols use to win games with just rebound & defense even if they score only 60 point.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Someone said (where's Holly haters), & I said, this person will never understand right or wrong..All I can do is apologize for the person. I just like how this game is played back home .. teams fight to go to finals, and also fight to maintain staying on division 1.

After watching the replay, take away 3 Stanford 3's and the game is even. Not as bad at I thought overall. UT having single digits in TO in a big game is a big deal, even with a loss. This team has a big upside with lots to learn from this loss. Ch.Green is key, having a good 1sr Q and then completely disappears. Rae Burrell has to be able to get in the game more as well.

It was not that Rae was lost on defense it was Holly game plan to play a shorter bench. Not gonna work against the top teams as i said before.
Not sure how you would know that unless you have had discussions with the staff. She was put in the game and was lost on defense and had to come out. I don't think they gave her enough time to settle in but that's just my opinion.

giphy-downsized.gif
But, I think you are right!

Basically the same Stanford team that we played last season and we won by 12. The difference is that Tennessee team was better on defense and rebounding due to the two seniors that have now graduated. This game told me a lot about our team. I see a lot of promise in our ability to score points. Team has a lot of room for growth because were totally sophomores and freshmen. The work that needs to be done is on defense some players are not defending very well. Even with the 14 threes they made we still win if we can defend the post and make some of the 15 to 20 short easy shots that we missed. Evina and MeMe giving their all. Rennia and Cheridine need to pick up their play way to passive both on offense and defense. Zaay needs to understand the team concept way to many shots coming from her when a pass to someone else would have been more effective. Our bench right now not giving very much help KK played but was obviously not ready still hobbled by that knee. Collins gave some effective minutes and Burrell who is a terrific rebounder needed much more of a chance. Really disappointed in Massengill not playing no where near the level she played in high school. Looks like the transition has been difficult for her. Overall not disappointed in any part of our performance except rebounding and post defense. I hope we put in the work in those areas because their player Carrington scored 33 points and that was the difference in the game. She shouldn't be able to score like that no way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange Maniac
At the end of last season fans were begging for a really tall, really good post being recruited. Didn't happen when there were still several out there. Present problems, even though blamed on players, goes back to recruitment as much as anything.

Rae was definitely lost on defense. Multiple times she just completely lost her man and let them score. In a game that was played pretty tight for a while you can't have that. She was out there for a while, but eventually was benched. I know some of you all like her hustle and play but she was a liability out there last night. They had a good game plan to guard the three but the players didnt follow the game plan. If you watched the post game presser with the players and Holly they all said the players didnt follow the game plan. Simple as that. Some did others didn't. You have to have the whole team follow the game plan.

On defense, look for the white girl near the 3 point line, not racists, simple fact...Face guard her and the worm will turn against the endless 3 point bombing....

On offense develop another 3 point shooter in practice....Unless the ability to hit the 3 point shot is improved upon, we will see similar results....

Our girls gave it a good go.

They killed us from 3-pt land, no other explanation needed for this loss, but if you want to look further, Westbrook needed a lot more help than she got last night. Jackson and CGreen had less than stellar nights, Davis didn't show up until late in the game as usual, ZGreen needs to work on shot selection and get in the gym (33% FG and 21% 3pt-FG on the year), and KK has lost a LOT of conditioning while recovering from her recent injury.

Last edited:
They made wide open 3s!!! Why so many wide open 3s??? Seems to me that if you defend the three from the get-go Stanford wouldn’t get so comfortable that they could start throwing up circus 3’s and make them. Ball hawking defense is not gonna cut it against the well coached, high IQ Stanford brains. Stop sagging off looking for a strip so the post passes it out perfectly for a 3. Holly is still trying to square peg the round hole with her knock-off of Matthew Mitchell’s 40 minutes of dread. That has never gotten K anywhere in particular, especially not to a final 4.

I would like to know what the defensive plan was before Holly blames the players for missing defensive assignments.

Want a new coach, I say bring in C Viv! She wants a NC before retiring. Guarantee Tennessee does not have the defensive woes with this same team of players.

Holly was doing what she always do stomping her feet LOL !

After watching the replay, take away 3 Stanford 3's and the game is even. Not as bad at I thought overall. UT having single digits in TO in a big game is a big deal, even with a loss. This team has a big upside with lots to learn from this loss. Ch.Green is key, having a good 1sr Q and then completely disappears. Rae Burrell has to be able to get in the game more as well.

That`s what i have been saying Rae Burrell needs to play more, She is a player that has more upside then anyone on the team. Also Jackson has come back down to earth. What is clear is that Pat knew how to use a talented player she would never do what Holly is doing right now when it comes to the bench.

My takeaways

LV's a better TEAM than last year. Need better (or some) Offensive sets for more Assists
Few can out-coach Tara
Defense porous. Lost rebounding by 14.
EW is for real (knew that before). 4 scored in double digits but EW needs more STABLE help
Holly says they played soft. If they are going to play tougher you better teach them how not to foul.
Stanford played great defense on our free throws

This was a game we could have won even with red hot trees on threes. Yeah, Seriously!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nute Gunray

VN Store

Back