'19 JUCO WR Javonta Payton (Tennessee commit)

Another visitor who made the trip after an in-home with Tennessee’s staff was wideout Javonta Payton. I know some around Mississippi State were saying the visit didn’t take place, but Payton was here.

-Simonton

Hilarious, MSU saying "he's not there, he's here. Yeah that's it, he's been here the whole weekend."

I could see them pivoting off a defense heavy class to adding some heavy offensive weapons at the end. More speed on the outside and a QB who doesn’t have four quarters worth of dirt all over his jersey will open up running lanes. I think Gray and Wright are in the bag, with Cain making the best business decision (us of course).

That leaves us with needing some speedy Z-types. Payton I think fits better with the Pruitt ideal, but Ellis ain’t no slouch. While I think Ellis gets on the field as a youngster, he could have 50 catches as a Frosh in the XII or PAC12.

I would love to have both. I think we can get Payton. I hope we can get Ellis.

Reactions: Type Orange+
As confirmed Sunday in a group picture posted on five-star Tennessee offensive tackle commitment Wanya Morris’ Twitter account, the Vols did manage to sneak in three-star Mississippi State wide receiver commitment JaVonta Payton of Northwest Mississippi Community College in Senatobia, Miss., on an official visit over the weekend. Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt visited Payton on Thursday night, according to sources, and convinced him to make another trip to Knoxville, where he also visited in June while he was committed to Ole Miss.

The Vols made a big impression on the 6-foot-2, 182-pound Payton during the visit, according to sources, and they now appear to be a legitimate threat to steal him away from the Bulldogs leading up to the early signing period. Payton also was high on Tennessee coming out Hillsboro High School in Nashville, Tenn., before academic issues affected his recruitment and resulted in him signing with Ole Miss in February 2017. The Vols were believed to be the favorites to land him when he decommitted from the Rebels in October, and a source close to his recruitment said the appeal of returning to his home state and playing for Pruitt’s staff has complicated his decision as he prepares to sign on Wednesday.

. While there were some other big names on campus, the Vols made a nice move for Mississippi State wideout commit Javonta Payton this weekend. The former Hillsboro (Tenn.) standout certainly didn’t publicize his trip to Tennessee, but that’s recruiting these days. Payton, should he choose to sign early, has a tough decision to make in the coming days
-Simonton

Anyone have any input into his lack of production at the JUCO level. He only had 23 catches 331 yards in 10 games played this season on pretty pass happy team.

Reactions: BluegrassVOL
Has it been said if or when Payton is announcing his signing? He's an early enrollee, so I would assume it's during the early signing period.

Coming off his surprise official visit to Tennessee over the weekend, three-star Mississippi State wide receiver commitment JaVonta Payton of Northwest Mississippi Community College in Senatobia, Miss., might be the most realistic option who could be added to the Vols’ class on Wednesday. Sources close to Payton’s recruitment said Tennessee made a big impression on him over the weekend, and there’s a real chance the Vols could steal him away from the Bulldogs.

Payton, a former standout at Hillsboro High School in Nashville, Tenn., was high on Tennessee coming out of high school and has liked the Vols ever since then, and while he committed to Mississippi State less than a month ago, it might be difficult for him to pass up the chance to return to his home state and play at Tennessee. Regardless of which school signs him, there’s a chance he won’t be able to enroll in January. But the Vols haven’t backed off him since his commitment to the Bulldogs on Nov. 19, and they have given themselves a legitimate shot at landing him on Wednesday.

-Callahan

VN Store

Back