The Hardest Thing to Do In Sports

No a double eagle on a par 5 would be making it in on your 2cd shot.
He's mad at the semantics that doubling a -2 would be a -4, which would be a Hole In One on a Par 5. I get where he's coming from. Plus, the name Albatross exists as a name for that for a reason.

No a double eagle on a par 5 would be making it in on your 2cd shot.
He's mad at the semantics that doubling a -2 would be a -4, which would be a Hole In One on a Par 5. I get where he's coming from. Plus, the name Albatross exists as a name for that for a reason.

This. Cutting 3 strokes in 1 shot is not a "double eagle". Its an albatross.. and that name exists for a reason. A double eagle would be cutting 4 strokes (2x -2= -4 ) and that never happens. Its dumb to call something a "double" of anything when it isnt, and a real name for it exists and is accepted. For the record, i have never done either, cut 3 or 4 strokes on a hole, and dont play enough golf anymore to care to try. My post would have fit better in the "phrases that annoy you" thread. It is just semantics, and no different than when folks say " i could care less" which is also both incorrect, and inconsequential. Math is rigid though, and 1 of the few areas that this ebonics, twitter, lazy and poorly educated society hasnt made a complete mess of, yet.

Anyway, just a pet peeve of sorts. Wish all you guys best of luck on the course, and a Merry Christmas as well. GO VOLS

Math is rigid though, and 1 of the few areas that this ebonics, twitter, lazy and poorly educated society hasnt made a complete mess of, yet.

Ha! You must not have been introduced to Common Core math. It's fun when your kids tell you that you are working the problem wrong, when their "new/improved way" takes twice as long.

This. Cutting 3 strokes in 1 shot is not a "double eagle". Its an albatross.. and that name exists for a reason. A double eagle would be cutting 4 strokes (2x -2= -4 ) and that never happens. Its dumb to call something a "double" of anything when it isnt, and a real name for it exists and is accepted. For the record, i have never done either, cut 3 or 4 strokes on a hole, and dont play enough golf anymore to care to try. My post would have fit better in the "phrases that annoy you" thread. It is just semantics, and no different than when folks say " i could care less" which is also both incorrect, and inconsequential. Math is rigid though, and 1 of the few areas that this ebonics, twitter, lazy and poorly educated society hasnt made a complete mess of, yet.

Anyway, just a pet peeve of sorts. Wish all you guys best of luck on the course, and a Merry Christmas as well. GO VOLS
No offense, but you don't need to worry about ever making a double eagle because it is extremely rare. My brother did about 35 years ago when par 5's weren't as reachable as today, and Golf Digest sent him an award after the club turned it in.

I have made a 2 on a 460 yard uphill par 4 (our #1 handicap hole) which was a pretty good accomplishment, but have never made a hole in one, and have only seen one in my life. I played a lot of golf in my day with the best players in the area. It's a fluke to make one, no matter how good you are.

You think you could hit one going 95 mph?

Not a chance....LOL....

95mph is one thing, but most of those guys throwing that hard also have movement on that 95 MPH fastball...

Dude thinks hitting off of 14 yr old pitchers makes hitting a baseball easy when the Baseball Hall of Fame is filled with guys who were required to make a decision to swing in less than 0.2 seconds and demonstrated a 30% success rate?

I've faced a pitcher throwing 95 who made it to AAA for the Reds...not to mention trying to discern if the guy has just thrown an 80 MPH change-up that looks exactly the same leaving his hand as that 95 MPH FB. And then you have to expect to see that 89 MPH curve ball or slider that will move at minimum 3 inches down and/or sideways in the last 2 feet of its flight over the plate as you swing the bat where you think the ball is gonna be....

There is just NOTHING harder in sports....NOTHING!

Hockey? really, just how hard is it to hit that puck?
Golf....are you sh_tting me??? You guys really expecting anyone to buy Hitting a golf ball is a hard task when you have absolute quiet and as much time as you want to swing the club? puhleeese!

Reactions: E-Tizzle
One note about baseball: if you can put it into play about once in 6-8 swings, you're a hall-of-famer. (*Just guessing on that given that you get three strikes, foul balls, strike out rate, etc). In other words, you have to hit it right only about 10-20% of the time.

Not a chance....LOL....

95mph is one thing, but most of those guys throwing that hard also have movement on that 95 MPH fastball...

Dude thinks hitting off of 14 yr old pitchers makes hitting a baseball easy when the Baseball Hall of Fame is filled with guys who were required to make a decision to swing in less than 0.2 seconds and demonstrated a 30% success rate?

I've faced a pitcher throwing 95 who made it to AAA for the Reds...not to mention trying to discern if the guy has just thrown an 80 MPH change-up that looks exactly the same leaving his hand as that 95 MPH FB. And then you have to expect to see that 89 MPH curve ball or slider that will move at minimum 3 inches down and/or sideways in the last 2 feet of its flight over the plate as you swing the bat where you think the ball is gonna be....

Golf....are you sh_tting me??? You guys really expecting anyone to buy Hitting a golf ball is a hard task when you have absolute quiet and as much time as you want to swing the club? puhleeese!
I agree on the hitting of the 95 mph baseball, but don't discount the golf or the hockey.
I've played courses that host PGA events and then gone back to watch the pros on those courses. They let the rough grow much higher and narrow the fairways. The difficulty is increased exponentially.
I've sat down on the glass for a couple of Preds games too. The biggest surprise of sitting that close...was realizing just how fast the guys are actually moving. They're tremendous athletes as well.

I mentioned running a 4:00 mile earlier .... that seems insane to me.

Reactions: MikeVol44
I agree on the hitting of the 95 mph baseball, but don't discount the golf or the hockey.
I've played courses that host PGA events and then gone back to watch the pros on those courses. They let the rough grow much higher and narrow the fairways. The difficulty is increased exponentially.
I've sat down on the glass for a couple of Preds games too. The biggest surprise of sitting that close...was realizing just how fast the guys are actually moving. They're tremendous athletes as well.

I mentioned running a 4:00 mile earlier .... that seems insane to me.
An 80 shooter on his home course couldn't break 100 on a U.S. Open course. No way.

I don't think so. The fairways being so narrow and the rough 7-8" deep?..... huge game changers
….and firm greens that the 80 shooter can't get enough backspin to stop the ball on with a wood, hybrid, or long iron. That is , if he gets lucky and hits a fairway. Also, no way he stops anywhere near the whole from hitting a 30 yard pitch out of the rough. Then, he will 3 putt numerous times.

Having said all that, I could barely hit Little League pitching when I was 12 or 13 or whatever it was.

Last edited:
An 80 shooter on his home course couldn't break 100 on a U.S. Open course. No way.

A few years ago (maybe 2012) the US Open was played at the Olympic Club (I've been there) in San Fran. A member qualified for the Open. They interviewed him and he said he had never played "this" course.

The PGA/ USGA can do unreal things to a course with time and a budget. Back in the early '00s I worked at the Ocean Course at Kiawah. I've seen that course transform overnight from Sunday general/ resort play (last tee time at Noon-ish) to a Monday Pro-Am where the place looked totally different for TV, etc.

Not a chance....LOL....

I faced some strong arms throughout high school. A 95mph pitch can be timed and hit. Statistically, hitting a baseball is not the hardest thing to do in sports, regardless of how emphatically you type it.

I faced some strong arms throughout high school. A 95mph pitch can be timed and hit. Statistically, hitting a baseball is not the hardest thing to do in sports, regardless of how emphatically you type it.
You can adapt easier if that's all you see from a machine throwing them down the middle every pitch, but as you know, a good pitcher has more pitches and more locations than a 95 mph fastball down the pipe.

The thing is that there are few people in the world that are really special at what they do. Hitting a baseball is a lot easier for some than hitting a golf ball, and vice versa. Part of it is how long they have been doing it and how much they practice, and part is that the skill sets are not the same. You probably find that hitting a baseball is easier than hitting a golf ball where you want it to go. I find it easier to hit the golf ball, but I have been playing for 55 years, and I haven't hit a baseball in a long time.

As far as hockey goes, hockey players seem to pick up golf better than a lot of other good athletes in other sports.

By the way, the common phrase is “hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports”... not “hitting a 2-seamer off Aroldis is the hardest thing to do in sports”.

OP is that you?

The problem is that every single swing he has is an out. If Harper-Trout-Miggy went up there only caring about touching the ball and not the weak nature of the connection they're making and the fact that not one of the swings is pure enough to get the ball out of the infield, then sure. They could totally do it.

Reactions: Smokeytom

I didn't say that a high schooler's 95 MPH pitch couldn't be timed and hit.
I hit the only grand slam of my life off of a guy who was throwing 93 mph that day in high school, but he wasn't even good enough to make it to AA.

But those guys who make it throwing 95+ in MLB throw pitches that MOVE. There are 14 year olds out there who can time a straight fastball. But what the TV cameras do not pick up is that the MLB pitchers 95mph fastball doesn't travel in a straight line. They move ever so much like I said before. Maddux from the Braves in his prime threw 90 and his fastball moved all over the place.

But that's okay--it's a fun conversation.

By the way....I would be interested in knowing what is, statistically speaking, the hardest thing to do in sports?

No offense, but you don't need to worry about ever making a double eagle because it is extremely rare. My brother did about 35 years ago when par 5's weren't as reachable as today, and Golf Digest sent him an award after the club turned it in.

I have made a 2 on a 460 yard uphill par 4 (our #1 handicap hole) which was a pretty good accomplishment, but have never made a hole in one, and have only seen one in my life. I played a lot of golf in my day with the best players in the area. It's a fluke to make one, no matter how good you are.
God...don't get me started. Ive played for 41 yrs and never made an ace.........but I've witnessed 25!!!!!!!!!

Your job as a hitter is never safe in the MLB. There a like 9 levels of minors/independent ball for a reason.

God...don't get me started. Ive played for 41 yrs and never made an ace.........but I've witnessed 25!!!!!!!!!
I've still never seen one go in the hole. The 3 times that I have holed out from a distance for an eagle 2 were on uphill par 4's, and the lone hole-in-one I witnessed was on an uphill par 3. You could only see about half the flagstick or less on the holes.

It all kind of depends on how clearly you want to define the situation. Put me in a batting cage with a machine throwing it 95mph and I bet I could hit it after enough tries.

But put me in a game, full count with 2 outs, RSIP, against Chris Sale’s filthy repertoire and there ain’t no way I’m hitting anything he throws, much less his fastball.

VN Store

Back