Game Thread Lady Vols at Texas

Ms. Burrell is a little feisty... she has a bit of edge and I like it! As long as she uses it in a positive way I don’t mind it. She is the one on the team I have seen with it so far. I think the majority of a championship squads had that player.

She reminds me SO MUCH of Syd Spencer!

Reactions: VolBall09
Rennia Davis will be there when she is needed, she got the two quick fouls and that slowed her down. With Evina Westbrook and Meme Jackson driving to the basket the way they were that took Davis out of the game. I saw where Jazmine Massengill mother say she got hurt in the first half, then she said she had 9 days and would be back. Evina Westbrook is starting to look like the # 2 girl in her class. When we get by Stanford, it looks like Missouri and Kentucky will be our next teat. Then Georgia and should match last year start at 15 - 0.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
I do NOT want them to lose but it wouldn’t surprise me if they dropped a couple of games either. I also agree with you the team could improve overall but have a step back here or there and still be a better team come the end of the season. I just hope the freshman wall doesn’t hit all of our freshman at once lol!

Bright side about this year is that they get the opportunity to be freshman and when they mess up we have the numbers to take them off the floor, coach them up, and let them think about it. Was tough last year because Evina, Rennia and Annie all HAD to play, and play well, or we weren't very good.

This Texas game was a great example of the freshman being able to make mistakes and we could still pull out a win. Last year we just had to play through the freshman mistakes and hope it got better, we didn't have the option to take them out with only 6 players (3 freshman) playing significant minutes.

You are correct about the numbers because this is a younger team i would think. I watched them play against Oklahoma and and They forced them into a lot of turnovers. And yes Thompson has very good for them. All i`m saying Westbrook, Jackson,Massengill we need to take care of the ball.

I agree we need to take care of the basketball. I find the match-up with Kentucky to be more worrisome this year though. Forcing 24 turnovers and holding opponents to 57ppg so far.

I watched that Auburn/Oklahoma game though and it appeared to be less about Auburn's defensive pressure and more about Oklahoma not valuing the basketball. OU averages 22 turnovers per contest this season and had 21 against Auburn.

There are those in this group that are not ladyvol fans they are on this site to create discord. It seems that they can disrupt those on this site but luckily they cannot effect those that know what it takes to be a top athletic program. CHW is a great coach and even better recruiter. She is someone that I would trust with my daughter and I could not give a higher complement. We had a team with Diamond that was the best team in college basketball, but there were those on the team that was too selfish to allow consistency. Ask South Carolina and MS State. The team was not at full strength so benching someone because of subpar/attitude would penalize the entire team. This team is still not quite ready to contend for a NCAA championship but could be by the end of regular season. I see a lot to love about this team and a lot to work on but having heart is not one of them. I love everything Orange, I even like the Texas team... LOL

Really? I wish she could shoot like her.
I love her [Rae] hustle. Taller Andraya Carter.

Same blue collar kind of player. Sidney only shot 28% from 3 her freshman season, averaged 5.5 points and 3.5 boards. Rae can become a great player for us like she did. Sid was always good for a timely 3 or a big rebound/loose ball.

As for the comparison to Andraya, no. Rae has more basketball ability in her left pinkie toe than Andraya has in her whole body. I hate to say that because Andraya is a lovely person, a LVF, and I really enjoy her broadcasting, but watching her play point for us was physically painful for me. Dribble around the top of the key and wave your off hand around and tell everyone to slow down, then commit a turnover. That was the extent of her offensive game, she was an excellent defender though.

Last edited:
Hoping to see her step up a bit. Some of her struggles are playing a new position though.

She’s being asked to play more on the block and she isn’t comfortable there. She’s clearly used to being a perimeter player and seeing the basket.

They want to see her post up smaller players, but she just isn’t there yet. Goes to the fade away jumper instead of making a move to the basket.

We need to use her more like Miss. State used Vivian’s at the 4. Let her be a face-up 4 and take people off the bounce or shoot the 3. I don’t like seeing her starting the possession in the post. When she’s down low, that means someone has to get her the basketball with a pass to the interior and we all know we struggle in that department.

Would rather see her catch on the perimeter and let her make a decision. If she passes back around she’ll cut through to the opposite block and have

Last edited:
I don't remember too many games, where Holdsclaw didn't come ready to play, Catching, Gordon, McCray, confidence reflects itself in production and efficiency, competitive, she talks a good game, but if you rewatch all the games and just watch her effort on defense, on the boards. It would make you cringed.

She takes herself out the game for not moving her feet and playing solid defense. She plays standing up. Then the whining to the refs. Ugh.

I thought Davis was the best player coming out of high school, I just want to see that competitive player and she's suppsodely the team's best player, only taking taking four shots come on now. Angel? Diana? Maya? Catching? Holdsclaw?
Parker? Ain't no way, that's a good thing. She needs to be aggressive.

I am hoping she is dodging the curse of soph slump cos big games is where it matters, and stars show out in big games.

Rennia, please defend and rebound, it all starts there for me. Gordon, get her. She dont like for her shooting arm to be touched. Wuteva. She needs to get tougher.

Ok, Davis. Last comment about your lack of toughness, get it together young lady. We think you have the potential to be great, but it doesn't mean a thing if you don't play like it or believe it yoself. Right now it's all mental. Is she a mental giant or mental midget?

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09
We won this game in spite of Holly she's just terrible I get angry just watching some of her substitutions she doesn't have a clue on offense of what to do - hard to understand
We won this game in spite of Holly she's just terrible I get angry just watching some of her substitutions she doesn't have a clue on offense of what to do - hard to understand
Pure BS. 14.....

Were a lot better team with KK in the middle. A lot more ways to get to the basket look forward to her coming back were a lot better with her in the lineup.

Not really. Ren is just smooth and mellow, that's just her personna.
Remember when she shot that game winner three ball last year, she never showed emotions.That's her. On the Florida beach cool. Sometimes I think her leg injury is still bothering her.

Not really. Ren is just smooth and mellow, that's just her personal.
Remember when she shot that game winner three ball last year, she never showed emotions.That's her. On the Florida beach cool. Sometimes I think her leg injury is still bothering her.

I agree with you. I can see how someone could misinterpret some of Rennia's expressions and mannerisms as "sulky," but I'm not getting that impression. The only person I've seen sulking this season is Zaay Green. She was sulking so hard after she didn't get the start one game that my friend and I laughed out loud about how much easier it is to spot someone fighting back the urge to roll their eyes in fake disinterest when they're wearing false eyelashes. :D She is a MUCH happier and better player when she's a starter.

Ordinarily that would bother me. But with Zaay, I think it's because she's such a strong competitor, so I'll give the freshman a pass.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I can see how someone could misinterpret some of Rennia's expressions and mannerisms as "sulky," but I'm not getting that impression. The only person I've seen sulking this season is Zaay Green. She was sulking so hard after she didn't get the start one game that my friend and I laughed out loud about how much easier it is to spot someone fighting back the urge to roll their eyes in fake disinterest when they're wearing false eyelashes. :D She is a MUCH happier and better player when she's a starter.

Ordinarily that would bother me. But with Zaay, I think it's because she's such a strong competitor, so I'll give the freshman a pass.

I think Rennia runs a lot deeper than you guys give her credit for.
It isn't mellow I am looking at, it's "in need of a button pushed" that I see.
Watch the first 4 minutes of that game.
She wasn't going full out on two different TX bringdowns that she could have been a stopper in.
Twice I saw her run at half-speed.

People who know me on here know I am fair, but also shoot from the hip.
I don't care what type of personality, you give 100% on that court when you're on it.
Ok,,, Gordon, Anosike...I believe this is why you're here.

I think Rennia runs a lot deeper than you guys give her credit for.
It isn't mellow I am looking at, it's "in need of a button pushed" that I see.
Watch the first 4 minutes of that game.
She wasn't going full out on two different TX bringdowns that she could have been a stopper in.
Twice I saw her run at half-speed.

People who know me on here know I am fair, but also shoot from the hip.
I don't care what type of personality, you give 100% on that court when you're on it.
Ok,,, Gordon, Anosike...I believe this is why you're here.

I didn't notice the running half-speed stuff. Hmmmmm. I'm not a fan of that. Young, healthy Pat would have HATED it. :oops:

Reactions: Pat4life
Please, I dont look at sulking, I look at a Rennia play on both sides of the ball. I am pretty consistent, if she was balling, I would say say shes balling, but by her not balling it putting a lot pressure of these Freshman to perform. The great thing about it, they've had her back. She needs to step up and play tougher. Her defense has been horrible.

But Bridgette said the same this summer in order for Rennia to be that player, she has to work on her handles and get a lil tougher. And Dean said she needs to be hunting for shots.

Consistency, which has been one of our Achilles heels. We need five players that shows up to get better each game, Holly needs five players that she knows what they gonna her every game right now we have one player Evina and we all expceted Rennia to be #2. London been cool. And we know the Freshman gonna hustle and fight.

I don't want to beat Rennia, it's not like I want her to transfer, go to WNBA early, or quit playing, just get better, play better. Aye Rennia, be an Alpha Mental Giant. LV4L.

Why don't some players or recruit, don't pan out, the mental side of the game? The game is more mental than physical. Pat's gift.

Last edited:
I didn't notice the running half-speed stuff. Hmmmmm. I'm not a fan of that. Young, healthy Pat would have HATED it. :oops:

Watch the first few minutes of the telecast if you get a chance,

I'm not picking on her.
I see a great deal of potential in Rennia.
What I need to see now is a coach who can bring it out of her.

She plays defense like, she has to do it, (OMG we gotta play defense again, unless it's the 4th quarter lol) rather than wanting to do it, but she probably beating herself up too, cos I do feel she is a competitor. So right now it's prolly mental, confidence is low.

She needs to play, put together a couple solid games, no thinking one or two dribble move pull up jumper, locked in defensively from the jump, we see her play a couple of games where we all left thinking, mane Rennia balled that game.

Rennia, you playing good on defensive sides of the ball and rebounding makes us a very tough team to beat. Ijs

Watch the first few minutes of the telecast if you get a chance,

I'm not picking on her.
I see a great deal of potential in Rennia.
What I need to see now is a coach who can bring it out of her.

I saw the same half-speed jog to get back, and this is not the first game that I've seen an unacceptable level of effort on the defensive end. It's one reason she picks up stupid fouls...she doesn't make the effort to stop her man, then she reaches instead. She's one of the worst M2M defenders we've had in recent years, and that's saying a lot. She needs a kick in the ***.

Rennia for the entire season is the most efficient player on the team. Westbrooks has been that player the last two games but Rennia was that player most of the other games. She looks like she is not doing much then you look and see she is averaging 14.1 points and 7.1 rebounds on the season. She is shooting 51 percent from the field and 77 from the free throw line. Putting up 11 shots per game should take that to about 15. Were always going to be facing the zone so she should be getting more looks from ten foot and closer shots in the paint. If she catches the ball high and don't bring it down gonna get the shot off everytime. Bringing it down to the waist so players can get their hands on the ball is something she is doing that needs to be remedied.

jeez, just run her out of town, you guys. :(

Right? I'm not understanding some people's intense frustration. Sure she can improve on defense but I don't see an attitude problem. She is the most efficient player we have, she has an incredibly soft shot and she is a match-up nightmare. She is a sophomore, as she develops she'll be one of the best players in the nation. I actually think she is showing some big signs of maturity. We wouldn't have won that Stetson game if her and Evina had not come out and owned the second half, even if she was partly to blame in the first half, she corrected her mistakes.

She is drawing a much better defender this year due to the hype around her game, but she isn't forcing it which I love. Take Nared for example, even as a senior she was either on or not, she took the same shots every game whether they were going in or not, she was lucky to have been fouled as much as she was or her numbers would have been average at best. The other night against Texas Rennia couldn't ever get going, but she didn't just jack up 10 bad shots to try to get her numbers up. To me that shows a player who is growing, understands their roll on the team and trusts their teammates.

She also made about 3 or 4 other buckets that were waived off due to illegal screens or other turnovers. She is shooting 51% from the field, 47% from 3 and 77% from the line, up from 48%, 32% and 74%. How about we talk about how these ladies were obviously in the gym over the summer working on their game!

VN Store

Back