Game Thread Lady Vols at Texas

I have to say, with joy, that I was wrong about Evina. She does have the aptitude to be a great point guard. Her willingness to improve her free throw shooting has transformed the team. We are improving each time out. We have a good team but consistency will be an issue but it is an issue that we can overcome because of our ability to play defense.
Thank you! At least some can actually come to grips about Miss Westbrook.

I'm not letting her off the hook, we need her...

Bridgette needs to sit down with Davis, her effort on defense is poor, it's been that way all season. She didn't work on her handles, so she doesn't feel confident enough to create her own shots, to put the ball on floor against smaller guards, so now she is like a forward/post you have to set her up. She wont attack period. She won't help herself, she plays str8 up no bent knees, or a stance. SMH

She's got to get better. It's still early in the season but her play thus far, besides the 4th quarter in UAB game is her only shinning moment, she's not hunting for shots and not defending, she has time. Yes

I hope this team hold each other accountable for their play or lack thereof, but she's not defending, and only rebounding in the 4th. Nicky, let's see how tough she is... Hopefully some one watch video with her over this break, and point out her effort on defense and the boards.

Davis doesn't play aggressive, I'm sorry but players by now you usually see that "it" factor one thing in their game that separates them from everyone else, that one skill right now for Davis is shooting, seems like that's all she wants to do. We believe in you Davis but this is what you have been showing so far this season. You need to get tougher mentally and physically young lady.

Bridgette, show her how the 3 and 4 players ball for the Lady Vols, the kind of effort that is expected from that spot. Davis sit down over this break and watch film on Gordon, Catching, Holdsclaw, McCray, etc, watch how they competed on both sides of the ball, if you don't do anything else watch her they defended and rebounded, all the pride.

Westbrook is the alpha on this team, playing like the #1 player in her class.

Meme be careful what you show us, we gonna expect to see it every game.

The persistent pursuit of Consistency onto the next game. Rae, I left you out. Thanks.

Davis, become that bih, that bad bih!

I back Pat and roll with Holly.

Hoping to see her step up a bit. Some of her struggles are playing a new position though.

She’s being asked to play more on the block and she isn’t comfortable there. She’s clearly used to being a perimeter player and seeing the basket.

They want to see her post up smaller players, but she just isn’t there yet. Goes to the fade away jumper instead of making a move to the basket.

We need to use her more like Miss. State used Vivian’s at the 4. Let her be a face-up 4 and take people off the bounce or shoot the 3. I don’t like seeing her starting the possession in the post. When she’s down low, that means someone has to get her the basketball with a pass to the interior and we all know we struggle in that department.

Would rather see her catch on the perimeter and let her make a decision. If she passes back around she’ll cut through to the opposite block and have a better chance of getting position and an easier pass.

I will say, even when she has a bad night, she doesn’t let it wreck the whole game. She was out of rhythm last night and could have easily taken 10 or 15 bad shots. Instead she was 2-4 and 1-1 from 3 and she rebounded pretty well, especially down the stretch. She has teammates she can trust to pickup slack when she’s off and that’s a big confidence boost.

Hoping to see her step up a bit. Some of her struggles are playing a new position though.

She’s being asked to play more on the block and she isn’t comfortable there. She’s clearly used to being a perimeter player and seeing the basket.

They want to see her post up smaller players, but she just isn’t there yet. Goes to the fade away jumper instead of making a move to the basket.

We need to use her more like Miss. State used Vivian’s at the 4. Let her be a face-up 4 and take people off the bounce or shoot the 3. I don’t like seeing her starting the possession in the post. When she’s down low, that means someone has to get her the basketball with a pass to the interior and we all know we struggle in that department.

Would rather see her catch on the perimeter and let her make a decision. If she passes back around she’ll cut through to the opposite block and have a better chance of getting position and an easier pass.

She played the 3 and four last year with Nared. She's not playing at a all Sec and All American level, and I know she wants that. Her defense and effort has been poor and if she is a leader that is setting a bad example.

She has to want too, move with a purpose, cut with a purpose, post up with a purpose. She's young, I get it. But mane, if she was playing on the same level as Westbrook, smh.

Davis has time, hopefully, this break helps her refocus. Westbrook, I haven't seen a Lady Vol guard point play that well in a long time.

Reactions: Bret178
Evina Westbrook is here y’all! A shame we had so many doubters early on. “Massengil should start instead of Evina”, etc.

Evina is the real deal. She has much improvements to work on on her game but boy she has been solid the last few games.
Towards the end of the game I did notice some fatigue in her, I think that’s why she couldn’t keep up with Williams in the end and fouled her.
Davis needs to stop pouting when she fouls, or turnovers the ball. Just get your behind back and play some solid defense. But I will say I love how she rebounded on the defensive end, she was strong and kept the ba high. Some instances though I’ve noticed her to be loose with the ball on the offensive end. Tighten up that handle Miss Davis. Clutch 3 at the end of the game though!
Meme. Someone on the coaching staff please talk to her about shot selection. Other than that she was a STUD! Never seen her play thx way. I really feel like she needs to take the ball to the hole more, then it will open up for 3 point shooting. She has decent handle, super quick. POG for me.
Zaay. I love her energy on the floor. I just wish she would stop with the silly fouls. I’m not worried about her offense, it‘ will eventually come and I feel like she will be an important piece later in the season.
Collins had some clutch threes in the second half. I do hope they work on her shot in the offseason. She’s getting blocked by smaller players for stick backs.
Overall I enjoyed the game, I’m pleased with how the ladies played. We definitely have some work and improvements but this was a great win.

Looking at the game the upperclassmen were 23 of 45 from the field 51 percent. They hit 19 of 24 from the foul line 79 percent.
The freshmen were 4 of 15 for 27 percent. 5 of 8 from the foul line 63 percent.

Holly is trying to bring the freshmen along and in this game we had the right people taking the shots. As the freshmen develop their games and get used to this level of play this team could become one of the top five teams in the nation. We just need those freshmen to become more efficient in their play.

The upperclassmen have really developed their games over the summer it is obvious how much better Jackson and Westbrook are playing this season. Davis is also better she had a bad game yesterday and really needs to control her emotions but she is a huge talent. Our big three are Westbrook, Jackson, and Davis and upon them this season rides. I think we can get some help from Zaay and Rae as the season progresses they will get better with every practice and every game.

After eight games here are the totals of the big three:

Davis 14.1 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 77 percent free throw percentage, 51 percent field goal percentage.
Westbrook 16.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 64 percent ft, 51 percent FG, 38 assists 25 turnovers 1.52 to 1 to to assist ratio
Jackson 13.1 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 81 percent ft, 46 percent FG, 18 of 47 from the three 38 percent

These three are averaging 44 ppg that is exactly what we need from them and their efficiency is fabulous.

Cheridine at 8 points and 7 rebounds and KK 10 points and 6 rebounds give us a starting five that is really productive. I think we really miss KK and being able to win like we have without her shows how much these players have developed and progressed.
As the season goes along where this team can progress the most is seeing the freshmen develop their games and Davis become more intense in her play. Really can't argue with Davis numbers but you know that she is capable of so much more if she ever reaches that level this team becomes a final four team.

Down the stretch, I was pretty nervous any time a freshman player got the ball. Even Zaay was looking uncertain in her decision making. But down the stretch, Collins hit a big three (I was no, no, no, YES!) and Zaay knocked down some FTS to ice the game.

On the coaching side, the LVs ran great out-of--bounds plays to get the ball in the hands of Meme and Westbrook who were the players Texas wanted to keep out of the play.

Down the stretch, I was pretty nervous any time a freshman player got the ball. Even Zaay was looking uncertain in her decision making. But down the stretch, Collins hit a big three (I was no, no, no, YES!) and Zaay knocked down some FTS to ice the game.

On the coaching side, the LVs ran great out-of--bounds plays to get the ball in the hands of Meme and Westbrook who were the players Texas wanted to keep out of the play.

End of game out of bounds plays were our Achilles heal a couple seasons ago too. We couldn’t get the basketball in to who we wanted to save our life. Usually ended in a bonehead turnover trying to force it to the intended target. Glad to see some improvement there.

One thing that I actually liked what Landers had to say was about Joyner Holmes. He talked about how gifted she is with her size but sometimes it can be hard for her to get comfortable in game situations because she can over-think on what to do offensively. He said, "Find what you do really well and perfect that, and the rest will come." I think this fits well with Davis. She has the ability to drive and score, post up and score, and jump shots/set shots. What I really liked in her game yesterday was how she responded to each of these skill sets. She posted up on Warren and did a fade away, it was forced and awful ... she didn't do that again. She tried dribble drive, wasn't successful, she didn't push the issue.
There were 4 plays where she had the ball and we did an on-ball screen and she went around the pick and shot the open jumper. 3/4 she made. But only 1 out of the 4 counted due to illegal screens on our part and Texas running through the screens Her jump shot was on yesterday and late in the game, she stuck with the jump shot. I was really impressed with that.
With that being said, she needs to continue to maintain the jump shot, but now start working on the post up on smaller guards/forwards, and dribble drive when a big is guarding her.

She played the 3 and four last year with Nared. She's not playing at a all Sec and All American level, and I know she wants that. Her defense and effort has been poor and if she is a leader that is setting a bad example.

She has to want too, move with a purpose, cut with a purpose, post up with a purpose. She's young, I get it. But mane, if she was playing on the same level as Westbrook, smh.

Davis has time, hopefully, this break helps her refocus. Westbrook, I haven't seen a Lady Vol guard point play that well in a long time.

Not trying to make too many excuses for her, but I don’t feel she’s been used to the best of her abilities the last 3 games.

With KK out we have not been running our big lineup where she’s at the 3. Soon as KK is back and Rennia can slide back over to the 3 where she’s more comfortable, for at least half the game, her production will go back up. Just watch.

Reactions: Only1COJ and lvocd
It was a good and exciting game and I am thrilled to death the Lady Vols got the huge road win, but I watched part of it again this morning and, in hindsight, I feel like Tennessee was fortunate that Texas had a tad less speed overall.

What teams coming up on the schedule are known for being quick? I have a feeling those teams may give the Lady Vols all they can handle unless they get their tendency to commit too many reach-in-fouls under control.

What does Stanford have this season?

It was a good and exciting game and I am thrilled to death the Lady Vols got the huge road win, but I watched part of it again this morning and, in hindsight, I feel like Tennessee was fortunate that Texas had a tad less speed overall.

What teams coming up on the schedule are known for being quick? I have a feeling those teams may give the Lady Vols all they can handle unless they get their tendency to commit too many reach-in-fouls under control.

What does Stanford have this season?

Stanford has one quick guard in Kiana Williams, she’s a gamer and has been playing well for them so far. The rest of their lineup is similar to ours, lots of size and less speed.

Stanford was killed on the glass in their loss to Gonzaga, they don’t have their usual mainstay rebounder in the paint this year. Lexie Hull was their best rebounder on the season but she’s been out with injury. I don’t believe it’s too serious so it’s possible she’ll play in our matchup. Maybe even in their Baylor game next Saturday.

Reactions: lvocd
One thing that I actually liked what Landers had to say was about Joyner Holmes. He talked about how gifted she is with her size but sometimes it can be hard for her to get comfortable in game situations because she can over-think on what to do offensively. He said, "Find what you do really well and perfect that, and the rest will come." I think this fits well with Davis. She has the ability to drive and score, post up and score, and jump shots/set shots. What I really liked in her game yesterday was how she responded to each of these skill sets. She posted up on Warren and did a fade away, it was forced and awful ... she didn't do that again. She tried dribble drive, wasn't successful, she didn't push the issue.
There were 4 plays where she had the ball and we did an on-ball screen and she went around the pick and shot the open jumper. 3/4 she made. But only 1 out of the 4 counted due to illegal screens on our part and Texas running through the screens Her jump shot was on yesterday and late in the game, she stuck with the jump shot. I was really impressed with that.
With that being said, she needs to continue to maintain the jump shot, but now start working on the post up on smaller guards/forwards, and dribble drive when a big is guarding her.

You make good points here and in your related post on Davis playing our of position. She looked tentative in this role for sure. Fans tend to under estimate how much difference there is between these positions and the adjustments players have to make. The rarly foul did not help her get in the flow either. But her rebounding down the stretch was important as was her clutch 3.

Per Landers and Lobo, it seemed that all their pre-planned talking points were about Texas and Landers would go on these interminable monologues about Texas while Tennessee would go on a big run. Tenneessee would make a play and that would cue up an extended commentary on Holmes or some other Texas player.

I understand Landers harbors some subtle anti-LV biases since they consistently crushed his dreams, year after year but he has a job to do. Lobo is usually much better but it seemed that they both came in primed to believe that this would be some kind of Texas coming out party.

Landers had the oddest critique of Westbrook not being a complete player (in the midst of great game not less) -- She will make a great play but she won't be satisfied and will try to do it again. Yeah, you certainly don't a PG who wants to make multiple plays in a game, noooooh.

And hey did you know that Texas was a great team back in the 80's and let me ramble on about that "fun fact" for five minutes in a drunken drawl. Kudos though to the play-by-play guy who periodically wrestle the Mike away to call the game in brief stretches.

Evina Westbrook is here y’all! A shame we had so many doubters early on. “Massengil should start instead of Evina”, etc.

Evina is the real deal. She has much improvements to work on on her game but boy she has been solid the last few games.
Towards the end of the game I did notice some fatigue in her, I think that’s why she couldn’t keep up with Williams in the end and fouled her.
Davis needs to stop pouting when she fouls, or turnovers the ball. Just get your behind back and play some solid defense. But I will say I love how she rebounded on the defensive end, she was strong and kept the ba high. Some instances though I’ve noticed her to be loose with the ball on the offensive end. Tighten up that handle Miss Davis. Clutch 3 at the end of the game though!
Meme. Someone on the coaching staff please talk to her about shot selection. Other than that she was a STUD! Never seen her play thx way. I really feel like she needs to take the ball to the hole more, then it will open up for 3 point shooting. She has decent handle, super quick. POG for me.
Zaay. I love her energy on the floor. I just wish she would stop with the silly fouls. I’m not worried about her offense, it‘ will eventually come and I feel like she will be an important piece later in the season.
Collins had some clutch threes in the second half. I do hope they work on her shot in the offseason. She’s getting blocked by smaller players for stick backs.
Overall I enjoyed the game, I’m pleased with how the ladies played. We definitely have some work and improvements but this was a great win.

Slow your roll please No one was talking about starting Massengill over Westbrook, Most think moving Westbrook to the 2 guard would best best position for her and i`m one of them. I like Westbrook but i still think the 2 still better for her because she do not handle the ball very well. Now we will play a team like Auburn i watched them 3 times so far. They are forcing teams to turn the ball over a lot. Now with that being said we should win that game. Make no mistake coach Terri Williams will try and force Westbrook into turnovers.

Slow your roll please No one was talking about starting Massengill over Westbrook, Most think moving Westbrook to the 2 guard would best best position for her and i`m one of them. I like Westbrook but i still think the 2 still better for her because she do not handle the ball very well. Now we will play a team like Auburn i watched them 3 times so far. They are forcing teams to turn the ball over a lot. Now with that being said we should win that game. Make no mistake coach Terri Williams will try and force Westbrook into turnovers.

No need to slow my roll when it was stated in the forum.
And yes those guards are swarming. We will see how we do.
Westbrook is living up to her ranking and doing her part as ‘sophmmore veteran’

No need to slow my roll when it was stated in the forum.
And yes those guards are swarming. We will see how we do.
Westbrook is living up to her ranking and doing her part as ‘sophmmore veteran’

I was thinking that yesterday about how some people were all over the young lady some criticisms that were fair and some that weren’t. However I think we are seeing why she was so highly ranked. I am not saying she has arrived and has bounds of room to grow. But the growth is impressive. This is the leap I am hoping the freshman take from freshman to sophomore years. Also, I think this calmness will help this younger team when the beast (SEC league play) starts!

Ms. Burrell is a little feisty... she has a bit of edge and I like it! As long as she uses it in a positive way I don’t mind it. She is the one on the team I have seen with it so far. I think the majority of a championship squads had that player.

Reactions: Bret178 and lvocd

I've watched a few Auburn games and their defense is nothing compared to what it was a season ago. At this point last year they were holding their opponents to 52ppg, 12 fewer than currently against the same type of competition. Their defensive numbers waned throughout the season last year as competition got tougher. They aren't forcing nearly as many turnovers either, still tough, but not on the same pace as 17-18. That being said, their offense is much improved and Unique Thompson will give us problems in the paint, she has a motor averaging 14 and 12.

Another thought.. it didn’t take us 30 games to draw our first charge of the season 😂 I remember last year Cheridene drew one in the second to last game of the regular season.

only 8 games in this year 👏👏👏

Wish it would rub off on Davis but that’s just her personality.
Davis is a bit like Holdsclaw who also was a bit nonchalant on the court but that appearance was very deceptive, as we all know.

I think Davis is even keeled and not overly demonstrative but I have no doubt she is as competitive as anyone on he floor.

Last edited:
I've watched a few Auburn games and their defense is nothing compared to what it was a season ago. At this point last year they were holding their opponents to 52ppg, 12 fewer than currently against the same type of competition. Their defensive numbers waned throughout the season last year as competition got tougher. They aren't forcing nearly as many turnovers either, still tough, but not on the same pace as 17-18. That being said, their offense is much improved and Unique Thompson will give us problems in the paint, she has a motor averaging 14 and 12.

You are correct about the numbers because this is a younger team i would think. I watched them play against Oklahoma and and They forced them into a lot of turnovers. And yes Thompson has very good for them. All i`m saying Westbrook, Jackson,Massengill we need to take care of the ball.

I was thinking that yesterday about how some people were all over the young lady some criticisms that were fair and some that weren’t. However I think we are seeing why she was so highly ranked. I am not saying she has arrived and has bounds of room to grow. But the growth is impressive. This is the leap I am hoping the freshman take from freshman to sophomore years. Also, I think this calmness will help this younger team when the beast (SEC league play) starts!

Sure hope you're right! Even so, I definitely can see Tennessee dropping a few games, even if they keep improving. Even as often as Connecticut has pulled it off, an undefeated season is still a near-impossible rarity, so we'll have our hearts broken at some point -- and probably a few times.

That said, as long as one of those losses isn't to Alabama, I'll be fine. :eek:

Davis is a bit like Holdsclaw who also nonchalant on the court but that appearance was very deceptive, as we all know.

I think Davis is even keeled and not overly demonstrative but I have no doubt she is as competitive as anyone on he floor.

Too nonchalant. I really hope they work with her and she works on herself. she has a lot of capabilities. She probably doesn’t know it but she can be one helluva player.
Holdsclaw, played with the guys in the streets of Astoria NY. She always could handle herself on the court.

Sure hope you're right! Even so, I definitely can see Tennessee dropping a few games, even if they keep improving. Even as often as Connecticut has pulled it off, an undefeated season is still a near-impossible rarity, so we'll have our hearts broken at some point -- and probably a few times.

That said, as long as one of those losses isn't to Alabama, I'll be fine. :eek:

I do NOT want them to lose but it wouldn’t surprise me if they dropped a couple of games either. I also agree with you the team could improve overall but have a step back here or there and still be a better team come the end of the season. I just hope the freshman wall doesn’t hit all of our freshman at once lol!

VN Store

Back