Pons is the key.

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
I think there’s been a lot of conversation in terms of Turner being our key to going deep. I think the flashes we saw today from Pons show that our ceiling with a scoring Pons is much higher than our ceiling with Turner.

That’s not me putting Turner down in any way at all. I just think Pons can be such a dynamic player that adding that threat in can push as to a higher level.

Pons is very inexperienced as a basketball player and will continue to make head shaking errors like not blocking out the free throw shooter. He'll also mix in some amazingly athletic plays. IMO, getting back Turner at last years level of play and shooting is more important. Also, Turner is our best point relief

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment although I see what you are saying. Pons is going to get better and better and will be very valuables throughout the season. Turner, on the other hand, is our version of "the microwave" from years back. By that I mean he's a guy that comes off the bench and gives the team points for sure but, possibly more important, ENERGY! He just seems to lift everybody's confidence and energy with just his entry into the game. Hard to live without that, and hopefully, we won't have to. The best part is that we'll have both Pons and Turner, and that makes much more lethal than with either/or.

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment although I see what you are saying. Pons is going to get better and better and will be very valuables throughout the season. Turner, on the other hand, is our version of "the microwave" from years back. By that I mean he's a guy that comes off the bench and gives the team points for sure but, possibly more important, ENERGY! He just seems to lift everybody's confidence and energy with just his entry into the game. Hard to live without that, and hopefully, we won't have to. The best part is that we'll have both Pons and Turner, and that makes much more lethal than with either/or.
Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson of my beloved Pistons. That was the nickname I tried to give to Turner last year, but it never stuck. Most people prefer "Ice-Man"

Said it before and I'll say it again. Key to this season is Alexander. Barnes said after his 12/10 game he should be doing it every game and is capable of much more. If that happens and we stay healthy and get Turner back by March, we'll be hard to beat.

If we have learned anything from these first few games, they are all going to be important. We need each of them to continue to work hard and understand their role. The better and more confident each player gets the better we are going to be.

Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson of my beloved Pistons. That was the nickname I tried to give to Turner last year, but it never stuck. Most people prefer "Ice-Man"

I can't quite comprehend "beloved" with "Pistons" :) But Vinnie Johnson was a freaking terror when he heated up.

Would like to hear if Barnes second guessed himself on not pulling Grant after the fourth (arguable) foul? From where we didn't have him the last part of Kansas game, I thought he may pull him for a couple minutes. Grant's gotta pull off the throttle on that last foul. Fortunately, Admiral carried the load.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Pons is very inexperienced as a basketball player and will continue to make head shaking errors like not blocking out the free throw shooter. He'll also mix in some amazingly athletic plays. IMO, getting back Turner at last years level of play and shooting is more important. Also, Turner is our best point relief

I wonder how much of that was communication moreso than he just forgot to do it.

He got lost in transition d a couple times. Not really worried about it. He’ll improve. Plus he definitely makes up for it on other possessions

I just hope he doesn't make a mistake like having 4 fouls and the next time down the court, mauling a player for his 5th foul when we need him. Oh yes that was Grant Williams. I'm in no way criticizing, I'm just saying every player makes mistakes..

I think there’s been a lot of conversation in terms of Turner being our key to going deep. I think the flashes we saw today from Pons show that our ceiling with a scoring Pons is much higher than our ceiling with Turner.

That’s not me putting Turner down in any way at all. I just think Pons can be such a dynamic player that adding that threat in can push as to a higher level.
I couldn't agree less. Right now we have no backup point guard and no way we can handle a team like Auburn without Turner. Not to mention Bone is just gonna get wore down.

Pons started hot and then was GARBAGE. Had some athletic rebounds but once he got his dunk sent all the way back to France he shrunk. Norvell Jr was cookin his ass.

When Pons develops a consistent mid range jump shot, he will become a complete player.

I still see Turner being more valuable at the moment. Pons' scoring is a luxury. We need Turner in the event of a Bone injury, and I dont believe he can continue to play 36 minutes/game and be fresh and as effective in Fevruary and March. We don't want Bowden logging major minutes at PG in his absence.

Pons makes a lot of mistakes but Williams seems to be his coach on the floor. I saw him correct Pons 4 times today. Best athlete on the team if they can get him playing team ball. If he and Alexander pick it up just a little this is a #1 or #2 seed and potential final 4 team.

I see where the op is coming from. Pons athleticism is freakish. As he continues to improve and develop he will present a nightmare for the opposition. Granted that Turner is definitely needed for a deep tourney run, but Pons adds an element we have not had.

Reactions: sport3500
I'll agree with the Admiral when he said they are going to keep improving.
Things can change so quickly. Even Admiral was lost in the crowd during the first half.
Yes Grant is a coach on the floor. Especially with Pons and Fulky
Barnes was chewing Bone out on the sidelines
Still with a few of our guys the game needs to come to them the way football has to slow down for a QB
If Walker comes in and doesn't shoot then he has to get a body on his man and most certainly block out on the boards.
Very happy when I saw Jalen Johnson for awhile. Shoot it man shoot it.
Bone is a good player but the kid tightens up after a miss. Today his passes started to look lackluster. It was affecting his game. Being timid will kill your production being a point guard.
In order to improve, Walker, Jalen, Fulky are going to have to keep getting some minutes and get their confidence up
Looks like Barnes had decided that Pons is a starter. I think it will pay off down the line.
Right now it looks like Walker, Jalen, Bowden and Fulky off the bench. So hurry up Turner.

When Pons develops a consistent mid range jump shot, he will become a complete player.

I think that Pons has a good enough jump shot. He needs to get better at recognizing when it's there or not. There's not always a lot of room to work that area when we struggle to take advantage of opportunities beyond the 3PL. Pons needs to find weak side looks when Williams draws defenders to him on the opposite side. And his teammates need to rely on him finding those soft spots. That's were Fulkerson could really help. Williams can draw 2 or 3 defenders, make a quick pass to Fulk at the high post, and then Fulkerson can relay over to Pons on a short wing. Works much better though if defenses will respect Fulkerson at the FT line area.

Reactions: StrangeVol

VN Store

Back