Holly Says 1-7 Stetson is a "Good Team"

Actually, we don’t. We did have a good start last year, but the year prior we were 4-3 at this point. Not saying that’s a good thing, but you at least need to be factual. Visible improvements have been made the last two years whether you want to admit it or not. Are they to the level of a national championship contender, or even to the level Lady Vol fans expect? No. But we aren’t the same team we were two seasons ago. That’s for certain.
I hope we turn the corner and beat teams like ND, Miss St and Bama. That’s what I’m saying.

I hope we turn the corner and beat teams like ND, Miss St and Bama. That’s what I’m saying.

That's fair, I too hope we turn that corner as well. I am glad that the ND and Miss State games are not back to back this year.

Margo has been quite ill for a long time now. She has done a small amount of posting recently on her Facebook site.
Thanks Gule..... well I hate to hear that.... Her videos were always point on and she is missed..... wishing her well and hope she gets better soon!

We do this every year. Start good. Lose to ND and or Stanford. Then the SEC comes and we lose a few more. Mississippi St. Bama Georgia. We beat Vandy, Ole Miss. Lose a few win a few. So far this is Holly’s pattern.

The pattern: She can get her elite players to beat fair to bad quality teams, but they do not measure up to elite teams. I think the football program just experienced this trend. Butch could get us to 9 wins and a mid-level bowl each year (not counting the last year), but would get trounced by the top level teams. I'm sorry to all those who want to believe, but some folks just do not have what it takes to be elite. I hope I'm proven wrong. I think a few more will bolt from the "Holly train" each season she bows out in the first or second round of the NCAA tourney while also placing second or third in the SEC. I support the LadyVols as much as anybody, but they are not currently passing the eye test for me.

The pattern: She can get her elite players to beat fair to bad quality teams, but they do not measure up to elite teams. I think the football program just experienced this trend. Butch could get us to 9 wins and a mid-level bowl each year (not counting the last year), but would get trounced by the top level teams. I'm sorry to all those who want to believe, but some folks just do not have what it takes to be elite. I hope I'm proven wrong. I think a few more will bolt from the "Holly train" each season she bows out in the first or second round of the NCAA tourney while also placing second or third in the SEC. I support the LadyVols as much as anybody, but they are not currently passing the eye test for me.
So you're saying they can't beat MS State, SCAR or Texas. Hmm... Could have sworn...…….

Didn't realize they were missing 2 of their best players. As Dick Enberg would say, "Oh my!"

We have played 2 games missing one of our starters. We were missing KK.

I know people don't like it, but as a coach, I learn more about my team from games like these than any other environment. We needed an ugly win. Now we need a good dog-fight,,,3-4 point game the whole way.

This team needs to experience every environment to grow. And fortunately for them, they had their first ugly game against an opponent that they could overwhelm WHEN they did play like they were supposed to. This game showed how the players would respond as this unit, to adversity and "A crap-day"....No player pushed or forced the game. No one showed any "sweat" (Never let em see you sweat),,,Adjustments did get made. (Later than I'd have preferred, but they did adjust their game.
We earned the W.

I still need to see areas of growth from the staff, , but I will give credit, if due and criticisms if need be.

We have played 2 games missing one of our starters. We were missing KK.

I know people don't like it, but as a coach, I learn more about my team from games like these than any other environment. We needed an ugly win. Now we need a good dog-fight,,,3-4 point game the whole way.

This team needs to experience every environment to grow. And fortunately for them, they had their first ugly game against an opponent that they could overwhelm WHEN they did play like they were supposed to. This game showed how the players would respond as this unit, to adversity and "A crap-day"....No player pushed or forced the game. No one showed any "sweat" (Never let em see you sweat),,,Adjustments did get made. (Later than I'd have preferred, but they did adjust their game.
We earned the W.

I still need to see areas of growth from the staff, , but I will give credit, if due and criticisms if need be.
Thanks for your perspective. Interesting stuff there. I think in any real life situation, adversity teaches us more than smooth sailing.

Thanks for your perspective. Interesting stuff there. I think in any real life situation, adversity teaches us more than smooth sailing.

That is my view in practice as well. All drills should be at game speed and sometimes with in-game-atmospheres. I had a girls 16U team that practiced contact layups against a 360 lb 6'3" ex-lineman from Carson Newman. Once I showed them how to initiate the contact as an attack, they began to enjoy this drill,, and he began to Not.

Last year the same early "ugly win" happened and we rolled on. So no one looked back and saw what the original "instance" that cause our first offensive/defensive/game lapse. And it reared its head again at the end of the season and at the tourneys.

Something created that atmosphere of uncertainty.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Holly Haters be like

200.gif

Just kidding. We know y'all don't hate

200.gif

Reactions: LadyVol1908
So you're saying they can't beat MS State, SCAR or Texas. Hmm... Could have sworn...…….

I stated that "I hope I'm proven wrong". No I would not consider SCAR or Texas in the same quality as MS State. SCAR has been blown out at home by elite level Baylor recently, and Texas was beaten by 18 pts by MS State. MS State is in another category. I give props where props are due, good win over Texas on the road, but that doesn't mean the scenario I laid out will not happen. I hope the Lady Vols win every game. I am certainly not rooting against them or Holly. Just noting the pattern of success or lack of.

I stated that "I hope I'm proven wrong". No I would not consider SCAR or Texas in the same quality as MS State. SCAR has been blown out at home by elite level Baylor recently, and Texas was beaten by 18 pts by MS State. MS State is in another category. I give props where props are due, good win over Texas on the road, but that doesn't mean the scenario I laid out will not happen. I hope the Lady Vols win every game. I am certainly not rooting against them or Holly. Just noting the pattern of success or lack of.
You said she couldn't beat elite teams. Did you consider MS State and SCAR elite last year? We don't know this year yet so saying what they will or want do is just running off at the mouth. Have we climbed to the top with Holly. No, not yet, but her teams have beaten some pretty good teams as recent as last year. This year we will see if sophomores and freshmen can take down the elite. So far they are 1-0 versus the good teams. I'm excited to watch them play. It's the first time in 4 or 5 years that I feel like I'm watching an actual Lady Vols team.

You said she couldn't beat elite teams. Did you consider MS State and SCAR elite last year? We don't know this year yet so saying what they will or want do is just running off at the mouth. Have we climbed to the top with Holly. No, not yet, but her teams have beaten some pretty good teams as recent as last year. This year we will see if sophomores and freshmen can take down the elite. So far they are 1-0 versus the good teams. I'm excited to watch them play. It's the first time in 4 or 5 years that I feel like I'm watching an actual Lady Vols team.

MS State is certainly elite. SCAR is not and had dropped off even last year. I didn't say they will, I said i think. Yet to be seen. I also said I hope they prove me wrong.

MS State is certainly elite. SCAR is not and had dropped off even last year. I didn't say they will, I said i think. Yet to be seen. I also said I hope they prove me wrong.

South Carolina hadn't necessarily dropped off last year, they were still a very good team with Aja on the floor. That being said, our two wins against SC last year she did not play. If I remember correctly she was out for both regular season match-ups, but played in the SEC tournament...and we lost. We also did not beat Miss State last year, they torched us by 20 in our own gym. We did split the series with them in 16-17 with each team picking up the win on the others home court.

South Carolina hadn't necessarily dropped off last year, they were still a very good team with Aja on the floor. That being said, our two wins against SC last year she did not play. If I remember correctly she was out for both regular season match-ups, but played in the SEC tournament...and we lost. We also did not beat Miss State last year, they torched us by 20 in our own gym. We did split the series with them in 16-17 with each team picking up the win on the others home court.

No. I remembered one game Aja played and Mercedes killed her well.

No. I remembered one game Aja played and Mercedes killed her well.

I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. She did not play in either regular season match-up last season. She played in the SEC tournament. Only played 19 minutes and torched us for 24 points and 12 boards. Mercedes had 12 points and 4 boards in that game.

I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. She did not play in either regular season match-up last season. She played in the SEC tournament. Only played 19 minutes and torched us for 24 points and 12 boards. Mercedes had 12 points and 4 boards in that game.

And Aja wasn't feeling very good. Midway though the 3rd quarter, she had to return to the locker room for a short period of time.

Not sure if she threw up or what...?

And Aja wasn't feeling very good. Midway though the 3rd quarter, she had to return to the locker room for a short period of time.

Not sure if she threw up or what...?

I believe so, I can't remember if it was an ankle or a sore knee, I think ankle. My guess was she took pain medication before the game and it gave her an upset stomach. Very common with pain medication.

Edit: after thinking about it for a while I believe they were saying she was suffering from vertigo. I don’t remember if that was the SEC game or one of the regular season games. She had trouble with that off and on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax_Vol
I believe so, I can't remember if it was an ankle or a sore knee, I think ankle. My guess was she took pain medication before the game and it gave her an upset stomach. Very common with pain medication.

Edit: after thinking about it for a while I believe they were saying she was suffering from vertigo. I don’t remember if that was the SEC game or one of the regular season games. She had trouble with that off and on.

I got one am glad she is tearing up the WNBA now

VN Store

Back