A Few Thoughts on a Remarkable Volleyball Season!

StrangeVol

First, thanks to our seniors. We'll really miss Erica Treiber, Brooke Schumacher, and Stephanie Spencer. Well done ladies, and to Erica a special thanks for being such a warrior and “leading the charge!”

What a difference a year makes. The arrival of Coach Eve Rackham and her staff has been a major turn around in volleyball at UT and that's no hyperbole. The prior 2017 season was not kind to Lady Vol volleyball. We finishing tied for 11th place with a record of 12 & 15. There was not even a whiff of the postseason. It also brought an end to the Coach Rob Patrick era after 21 seasons.

Given the misery of the past season(s) it's hard to imagine how Coach Rackham and staff took a team expected to finish 10th in the league and turned them into the team that finished second. The really good news is this was year one, the years to come now look much much brighter.

So how did this complete turnaround happen? Having listened to many interviews and read countless articles with and about the players and coaches, I'll speculate that CER instilled a sense of unity and the belief that they were a much better team than they had shown in the past. The girls came to trust each other and the staff and dedicated themselves to be the best they could be. The rest is history. More history will be made!

I think it's fair to say that this edition of the Volleyballers literally grew up right before our eyes. From overcoming our loss to ETSU at the beginning of the season to our improbable but really fun NCAA tournament appearances the later of which were only made possible because of the growth of the team game to game. Once the team bought in fully to Coach Rackham's system, they just got better and better.

Can't wait for next season!

Speaking of next season, we have a lot to look forward to. Our freshmen will be a year older and better. I expect great things from Lily, Rocky, Danielle and lightly used Giana Pellizzon a talented Defender/Libero.

We have lots of talent elsewhere as well, I really want to see how good Tessa, Sedona, Callie, and Addisyn will become.

Speaking of getting better, I hope we will work very hard on improving our serving game and eliminate or at least drastically reduce the number of service errors. We gave up too many points while destroying our rhythm, a lot. We need to fix that.

I would also like to work on our defense generally and blocking in particular. If you watched our match against Washington State you saw the huge difference in their blocking and ours. No comparison. If we want to play “big girl” volleyball, it starts at the net. If we block well we score more points. Simple as that. If we can only deflect shots at times that at least help our defenders dig more balls which in turn leads to more kills. Addisyn Rowe has the potential to be a great blocker if she wants to be.

Finally, I really like our team and coaches and I'm confident CER will begin bringing in bigger and better players to compliment what we already have. I expect us to be at or very near the top of the SEC every year and I think we have the coaching staff that can take us there. If we want to be at the top of the collegiate Volleyball world, that will take some time. Either or both, I'm totally happy.

GO LADY VOLS!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT SEASON!!!

Happy Holidays everyone. :)

StrangeVol

P.S. One other thing, I think our growing number of fans deserve a big “shout out” for their support of the team. The girls mentioned multiple times the great fan support they received. You guys and girls made a big difference!

First, thanks to our seniors. We'll really miss Erica Treiber, Brooke Schumacher, and Stephanie Spencer. Well done ladies, and to Erica a special thanks for being such a warrior and “leading the charge!”

What a difference a year makes. The arrival of Coach Eve Rackham and her staff has been a major turn around in volleyball at UT and that's no hyperbole. The prior 2017 season was not kind to Lady Vol volleyball. We finishing tied for 11th place with a record of 12 & 15. There was not even a whiff of the postseason. It also brought an end to the Coach Rob Patrick era after 21 seasons.

Given the misery of the past season(s) it's hard to imagine how Coach Rackham and staff took a team expected to finish 10th in the league and turned them into the team that finished second. The really good news is this was year one, the years to come now look much much brighter.

So how did this complete turnaround happen? Having listened to many interviews and read countless articles with and about the players and coaches, I'll speculate that CER instilled a sense of unity and the belief that they were a much better team than they had shown in the past. The girls came to trust each other and the staff and dedicated themselves to be the best they could be. The rest is history. More history will be made!

I think it's fair to say that this edition of the Volleyballers literally grew up right before our eyes. From overcoming our loss to ETSU at the beginning of the season to our improbable but really fun NCAA tournament appearances the later of which were only made possible because of the growth of the team game to game. Once the team bought in fully to Coach Rackham's system, they just got better and better.

Can't wait for next season!

Speaking of next season, we have a lot to look forward to. Our freshmen will be a year older and better. I expect great things from Lily, Rocky, Danielle and lightly used Giana Pellizzon a talented Defender/Libero.

We have lots of talent elsewhere as well, I really want to see how good Tessa, Sedona, Callie, and Addisyn will become.

Speaking of getting better, I hope we will work very hard on improving our serving game and eliminate or at least drastically reduce the number of service errors. We gave up too many points while destroying our rhythm, a lot. We need to fix that.

I would also like to work on our defense generally and blocking in particular. If you watched our match against Washington State you saw the huge difference in their blocking and ours. No comparison. If we want to play “big girl” volleyball, it starts at the net. If we block well we score more points. Simple as that. If we can only deflect shots at times that at least help our defenders dig more balls which in turn leads to more kills. Addisyn Rowe has the potential to be a great blocker if she wants to be.

Finally, I really like our team and coaches and I'm confident CER will begin bringing in bigger and better players to compliment what we already have. I expect us to be at or very near the top of the SEC every year and I think we have the coaching staff that can take us there. If we want to be at the top of the collegiate Volleyball world, that will take some time. Either or both, I'm totally happy.

GO LADY VOLS!!! CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT SEASON!!!

Happy Holidays everyone. :)

StrangeVol

P.S. One other thing, I think our growing number of fans deserve a big “shout out” for their support of the team. The girls mentioned multiple times the great fan support they received. You guys and girls made a big difference!
Could not have said it better myself!! I agree with everything. I would love go get one or more ladies a little taller than those we not have. One of the WS girls who really hurt us was a few inches taller than us and Florida always has a couple of big girls. I know we beat them but overall I am not sure how much better we are if any. I think they have gone further than us this tourney but don't remember who they play next. I really think that Kentucky was by far the most athletic team we played in several years. Overall CER and family will make us proud!!!

Reactions: RollerVol
I'm new to supporting the Lady Vols volleyball team. When I watched the Florida match and the way they punished them I was hooked. I still have some to learn as far as the rules and how they strategize and such. GO LADY VOLS!!!!!! Can't wait until next year.

I'm new to supporting the Lady Vols volleyball team. When I watched the Florida match and the way they punished them I was hooked. I still have some to learn as far as the rules and how they strategize and such. GO LADY VOLS!!!!!! Can't wait until next year.

A lot of us (me chief among them) are trying to learn more about the college game which is way different than what we learned/played in high school. I "bumped up" a post from early November containing a link to a site that gives a good basic overview of modern Volleyball. You might want to check it out. :)

That would be great, Where can I find that link? Also I think I have you to thanks because it was your post about upcoming match that got me to watch them play and didn't miss a match rest of season so Thanks.

I believe the lesson learned for our board was illustrated in the above thread. Strangevol has lead us forward.

similarly, we enjoyed soccer from similar input. I did laugh on the poor conversion rate for corner kicks and wondered if the blame would go to the coach for his team "missing freethrows.:" All good

That would be great, Where can I find that link? Also I think I have you to thanks because it was your post about upcoming match that got me to watch them play and didn't miss a match rest of season so Thanks.

Look for the thread somewhere below this one entitled "For those of you that want to learn more about volleyball"

I believe the lesson learned for our board was illustrated in the above thread. Strangevol has lead us forward.

similarly, we enjoyed soccer from similar input. I did laugh on the poor conversion rate for corner kicks and wondered if the blame would go to the coach for his team "missing freethrows.:" All good

I'm not sure that I led anybody anywhere but if I did it surely a case of "the blind leading the blind." I just saw the girls play a few matches and thought somebody ought to call attention to what a great team we have. So I did. :)

Just watched the regional semis where Nebraska beat Kentucky 3-0 and Byu beat Florida 3-1. Neither of the SEC teams had the height to compete with the big girls. WE all will have to recruit better to get in the league with those teams. I did see Texas win their match and they had a freshman who was the player of the year this year and happens to be a two time AA in HS. She is from Brentwood and is about 6 3 and great skills. I am sure we never got a chance with her but maybe CER will get in on some of the state girls. #2 seed Minn. lost as well.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Height became a much bigger issue than I first thought once I saw some of the "top tier" teams in the NCAA tournament. Those big girls can do damage. Hopefully once Coach Rackham gets settled with the new baby she'll be able to go out and convince some of those big girls from Minnesota and Wisconsin to consider college in the south. We have some size at present but we need more, that's clear.

VN Store

Back