Apparently We Are Not Going to Promote from Within.

There may be no choice. The longer this crap drags on, the worse UT looks.
UT is not "looking bad" . CJP wants to do this the right way. he knows how important this hire is.
we should be glad we have a coach that is doing the correct due diligence to get this right instead of
rushing into hiring the wrong guy.
impatience is the cause of more wrong and bad decisions than anything. relax and trust CJP.

UT is not "looking bad" . CJP wants to do this the right way. he knows how important this hire is.
we should be glad we have a coach that is doing the correct due diligence to get this right instead of
impatience is the cause of more wrong and bad decisions than anything. relax and trust CJP.

Due diligence should be all wrapped up...like last week. We must be moving down, down, down our list. Or making a new list.

Sure we look bad. We went from the sole big job open except usc. We spent a week running around with our heads cut off and now face bama, osu, fsu, auburn. We went from picking from the litter to getting whatever runt the others leave us. All due to poor planning and execution.

Due diligence is not the same as your selected target making a decision. With all these jobs open, and anticipated, wouldn't you pick the best spot for you if you were an OC programs coveted?
Can you honestly say if you were Freeze, or Lindsey, or Enos, you would take the Tennessee job on the first offer?
Not if you have any business or professional savvy.........

Reactions: savannahfan
no one but CJP and Fulmer know for sure who UTs first choice is at this point.

remember how wild this place was when Fulmer was hiring a head coach ? well we ended up pretty
dang good if you ask me.

CJP knows how important this hire is --- for the players, recruiting, UT fans, and also for HIMSELF.

relax boys, we are gonna get the right OC and the best guy for the Vols.

Due diligence should be all wrapped up...like last week. We must be moving down, down, down our list. Or making a new list.

Sure we look bad. We went from the sole big job open except usc. We spent a week running around with our heads cut off and now face bama, osu, fsu, auburn. We went from picking from the litter to getting whatever runt the others leave us. All due to poor planning and execution.

So your one of the hundred sources on here?
Tell us how the interview went! Did you get to ask questions?

This is exactly the kind of thing people were saying before Currie tried to trot out Schiano. I'm not saying your sentiment is wrong, it's just that many around here have a well earned case of sports-PTSD about these things involving UT football. Cut them some slack, hell after the last decade there is a case to be made those of you who remain eternally optimistic and believe in one AD/coach after another are the crazy ones, lol.

Due diligence is not the same as your selected target making a decision. With all these jobs open, and anticipated, wouldn't you pick the best spot for you if you were an OC programs coveted?
Can you honestly say if you were Freeze, or Lindsey, or Enos, you would take the Tennessee job on the first offer?
Not if you have any business or professional savvy.........

All of these jobs werent open as early as ours.

However, for whatever reasons wise or unwise, we chose to shop around. Now it's the coaches we are interested in hiring that get to shop around.

Much like the real estate market if you wait too long it can go from a buyer's market to a seller's market and vice versa.

I'm certain CJP wants the best hire possible. However my guess is he wants them within his parameters and some proven coaches may balk at that. Working relationships and getting along are important. But not at the cost of hiring less talented folks IMO.

Reactions: VolsLady-in-FL
Friend is your friend.

Few more years of Mediocrity and another coaching search
Friend did an great job at CSU. Just saying, if it was to happen, it could be worse. Get a damn good QB coach /recruiter and bring him in. Lets be optimistic! GBO

I am glad much of the football focus has been on recruiting. If we get the players CJP wants, I could probably take the OC and have success. Go Vols!

The need for urgency was to go after Freeze because we knew he would be in high demand. Since Freeze appears to be slowplaying us then we are hopefully looking elsewhere. Taking time to do so isn’t a big deal.

Now if we end up with some mediocre, unqualified hire that takes a long time to make then I’ll start to worry about the management of Pruitt and Fulmer.

All of these jobs werent open as early as ours.

However, for whatever reasons wise or unwise, we chose to shop around. Now it's the coaches we are interested in hiring that get to shop around.

Much like the real estate market if you wait too long it can go from a buyer's market to a seller's market and vice versa.

I'm certain CJP wants the best hire possible. However my guess is he wants them within his parameters and some proven coaches may balk at that. Working relationships and getting along are important. But not at the cost of hiring less talented folks IMO.
After seeing Fulmer dial in so quickly and get Pruitt done, I think he, and Pruitt aren't ones to move slowly, unless there's a reason. Delay #1 was probably getting permission to get Freeze on the docket. Delay #2 has probably been the chance Bama OC left for MD, which will present other opportunities for those in the mix. I'd suspect Bama to make their move, and we'll probably move shortly after, since we're not likely option 1.

UT does look incompetent and the brand continues to suffer this perception as this search drags on. "HERE WE GO AGAIN" is implied even by the local news channels.

Friend did an great job at CSU. Just saying, if it was to happen, it could be worse. Get a damn good QB coach /recruiter and bring him in. Lets be optimistic! GBO

It’s hard to continue to be optimistic when Tennessee shoots itself in the foot over and over

Reactions: davethevol
I’m a VFL & alum, so it pains me to say this. But, has it occurred to anyone that UT just isn’t the “destination” job for coaches any longer? We’re in mediocrity and have been for a decade+. For CJP, it’s either wait for your best hire to pick us or move on and get the best OC who would be willing to come to UT. Logically, he’ll wait until he can no longer wait. It’s tough for us as fans I know, but UT is what it is - a second-tier program. We can’t do anything but let CJP do his thing. If it doesn’t work, we can vote with our ticket puchases & donations.

VN Store

Back