If Pruitt hires Friend

The NegaVols will have nervous breakdowns if it ends up a Friend/Probst combination. I bought in and thought Freeze last night but the longer it goes he looks out. Enos at Bama and Streeter at Clemson could still be in play and Pruitt could be respectfully letting their seasons play out. I'd take Freeze 1st, Enos/Hurts combo 2nd and probably Friend/Probst 3rd. Probst is dominant in hs, great playcaller who attacks weaknesses and many in the profession consider him to be better suited personality wise in college. Streeter is the long odds player I feel. He's not necessarily an experienced playcaller but he checks all the other boxes. I think Freeze ends up in Auburn if not Knoxville.

I have a hard time believing that anyone associated with this year's offense merits promotion. Maybe they did enough to deserve not to be replaced, but I'll defer to Coach Freeze's judgment.

WR coach Johnson and Friend (desperately need consistency). Don't care about Weinke. Still wish we kept RG!

If will were selected we would know it by now. We do need an OC with enough clout
To let CJP know when he is wrong.
I like what bama has been running the last two years. Mix Pro style and spread with RPO.

Some team in the playoff is delaying our announcement. We are getting an OC or QB coach from one of the 4 teams.

If Pruitt hires Friend as OC, he will have his best Friend running the offense, then everything should be hunky dorey (as soon as he gets the players he needs and rid of the ones he doesn't need)
Then the Vols will be firing on all cylinders, hopefully

There is absolutely nothing positive about Friend being the OC. I still say thats who we are gonna get though.

I mean, if you saw any positives to the Helton hire, it's the same here. Both were mentored by high scoring offensive minds. Neither had called their own plays. I do think his style fits Pruitt more.

I just have a hard time believing it's Friend. 1) why not hire him as OC last year? 2) why not mention him as a candidate?

He's been an ol coach for the past decade. It seems to suit him and I'm sure Pruitt would love to lock him in there long-term.

Last edited:
Since when did the folks in charge suddenly become enlightened? Where have they been hiding all this time, under a rock or with their head burried in the sand?

We now have a former football coach as an AD who understands what it takes to win in the SEC and hired a football coach who also understands what it takes to win in the SEC. We didn't have that experience working for us until recently, but they're here now!

Some team in the playoff is delaying our announcement. We are getting an OC or QB coach from one of the 4 teams.

But it would still be announced. Not waiting to Mid-Jan for a simple announcement.

Who would we even hope for? Enos is a clear 3rd to Freeze and Lindsey and even angling for him is a gamble. Chaney is going nowhere. Clemson guys never leave. OU guys don't call plays.

Like I said, if its Propst then Pruitt can hit the road.

We do realize both Freeze and Lindsey were HC coaches right? Like Pruitt said, if you can coach ball you can coach ball. I'd say he's proven himself successful at doing that.

WR coach Johnson and Friend (desperately need consistency). Don't care about Weinke. Still wish we kept RG!

Maybe we ought not sleep on Weinke. That man has accomplished a thing or two. How good a coach is he? Could be better than we know, and there are others on staff with accomplishments.

We do realize both Freeze and Lindsey were HC coaches right? Like Pruitt said, if you can coach ball you can coach ball. I'd say he's proven himself successful at doing that.

Im assuming the issue with Propst would be his behavior in the past. The assault on the player , at least the one that he got in trouble for, is an obvious red flag. Who really knows the truth to that situation. From what I understood , Propst got a bit carried away "coaching someone up" and ended up with the majority of the injury to himself. It couldn't have been too vicious or CRP would have been in a lot of trouble, but they basically got over it and moved on. My biggest concern is hiring someone dumb enough to headbutt a guy with a helmet on.

Last edited:
How did that work out for Spurrier in Washington DC?

keep in mind Vols finished LAST in total offense in the SEC .

Tempo-adjusted? I think we were like 12th by a hair, essentially tied for 11th with Auburn. 13th in scoring, but not tempo-adjusted.

Actually improved by .7 ypp from last year, nice improvement, albeit nowhere to go but up. Better than 3/5 of Butch's offenses and essentially the same as 2015 UT, which had way more talent. Granted, how many of our yards were long bombs on 3rd and long? That's what I disliked - run, run, PASS BAIL US OUT. Repeat.

Reactions: TenUhSee
Keep an eye out for Streeter at Clemson and of course Enos at bummer.

Outside of recruiting acumen, don't get Streeter. Unless he's looking to give him something like "co-oc" title and have him to be a recruiting coordinator like he does at Clemson. Noticed both Clemson and OU have "co-ocs" and Dabo does a dang good job keeping his assistants happy and in place.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
The NegaVols will have nervous breakdowns if it ends up a Friend/Probst combination. I bought in and thought Freeze last night but the longer it goes he looks out. Enos at Bama and Streeter at Clemson could still be in play and Pruitt could be respectfully letting their seasons play out. I'd take Freeze 1st, Enos/Hurts combo 2nd and probably Friend/Probst 3rd. Probst is dominant in hs, great playcaller who attacks weaknesses and many in the profession consider him to be better suited personality wise in college. Streeter is the long odds player I feel. He's not necessarily an experienced playcaller but he checks all the other boxes. I think Freeze ends up in Auburn if not Knoxville.

Freind and Propst? Wow Propst is dominate in HS? Man that definitely means he can call plays in college. Yeah that cleary is an ok hire right? Meanwhile, our rivals like UF, UGA and Bama, well they all have freaking high school play callers right? Jesus, I think some just want UT to continue to suck nuts. If we dont get a proven OC, its a failure. If its Friend and Propst then I hope Fulmer fires Pruitt.

VN Store

Back