Lady Vols - Turnovers and Free Throw Percentage

Spook1

Ancient Vol
The Lady Vols continue to have too many turnovers as they had 17 in the Oklahoma State game. The free throw percentage is atrocious as it was 66% however, the previous game was less than 50%. Those two factors will cost the Lady Vols a game or so if it continues. Davis had 5 turnovers in the OS game.

Reactions: zaqhhh
The Lady Vols continue to have too many turnovers as they had 17 in the Oklahoma State game. The free throw percentage is atrocious as it was 66% however, the previous game was less than 50%. Those two factors will cost the Lady Vols a game or so if it continues. Davis had 5 turnovers in the OS game.

Turnovers in the Holly era has always been an issue. One would think that after six years she would have figured it out. Holly always gets 20 plus wins but simply cannot figure out how to cure offensive turnovers. Holly fans like to blame it on the players but it is BS to hold the coaches blameless. When turnovers are discussed during Holly pressers, you hear the same old answer, she doesn't know how to cure the problem. Maybe she should find an assistant that has the answer.

Reactions: cutiepie5
Honestly its not even the lack of advancement that has turned me against Holly.

It's the lack of fundamentals especially ball control every single year. If we ever do make a change, TOs will be one of the first stats I look at when looking at replacement options.

sure you want to limit turnovers, but, if the girls keep going "all out" on every possession like I haven't seen in several years, I'm good with it...these women are intense and I like it...and, as always...

GO LADY VOLS!

Honestly its not even the lack of advancement that has turned me against Holly.

It's the lack of fundamentals especially ball control every single year. If we ever do make a change, TOs will be one of the first stats I look at when looking at replacement options.

200w.gif

Just out of curiosity, are you part of the evaluation process? Do you have a say as to who gets hired?

Reactions: Nickid1975
200w.gif

Just out of curiosity, are you part of the evaluation process? Do you have a say as to who gets hired?

If something I said offended you, perhaps VN is not the place for you. Of course fans have a say in who gets hired as coach, but you are probably one of the Schiano backers anyway.

If something I said offended you, perhaps VN is not the place for you. Of course fans have a say in who gets hired as coach, but you are probably one of the Schiano backers anyway.

I was just thinking the same thing about you after reading your response. You did not offend me at all. I was just wondering who you were. You sounded like someone important then I read some of your posts and realized who you are.

I was just thinking the same thing about you after reading your response. You did not offend me at all. I was just wondering who you were. You sounded like someone important then I read some of your posts and realized who you are.

Nope, I've heard 1000s of people make their opinions known on coaching. Sometimes I don't agree but it's a sports forum, that's literally what its for.

Okay but the LVs dominated the boards and had 12 steals. So, they had some key bright spots. The 16% from behind the arc is more concerning to me. Meme was way off on her shot, though, so hopefully, other nights go much better.

As for TOs, of course a team would want to reduce that number down but very few of the LVs TOs against OSU led to transition baskets. The TOs were cases of a LV fumbling the ball out of bounds or over shooting on a fast break pass. While fewer TOs are always better, those TOs are the kind that you can live with if the defensive effort is there.

Per FTs, I believe Holly when she says that the problem is mental and that the players nail their FTs in practice. I expect that their % will go up as the season goes along.

It is funny after the OSU game, the general consensus was that Holly made excellent half-time adjustments and coached a really good floor game. But, the "Fire Holly" reflex is strong on this board.

Last edited:
Okay but the LVs dominated the boards and had 12 steals. So, they had some key bright spots. The 16% from behind the arc is more concerning to me. Meme was way off on her shot, though, so hopefully, other nights go much better.

As for TOs, of course a team would want to reduce that number down but very few of the LVs TOs against OSU led to transition baskets. The TOs were cases of a LV fumbling the ball out of bounds or over shooting on a fast break pass. While fewer TOs are always better, those TOs are the kind that you can live with if the defensive effort is there.

Per FTs, I believe Holly when she says that the problem is mental and that the players nail their FTs in practice. I expect that their % will go up as the season goes along.

It is funny after the OSU game, the general consensus was that Holly made excellent half-time adjustments and coached a really good floor game. But, the "Fire Holly" reflex is strong on this board.
I haven’t checked but is the poor free throw per-centage only a few players or several. If only a couple we can maybe get around that, if several we got problems that will cost us some games. Wilt chamberlain was a bad free throw shooter in games, but was said to be accurate in practice. He had a mental block. If we have players like that, there may be little hope. Wilt never became a decent free throw shooter.

I haven’t checked but is the poor free throw per-centage only a few players or several. If only a couple we can maybe get around that, if several we got problems that will cost us some games. Wilt chamberlain was a bad free throw shooter in games, but was said to be accurate in practice. He had a mental block. If we have players like that, there may be little hope. Wilt never became a decent free throw shooter.
The LVs did not get to the line all that much against OSU (7 for 11). Evina was 4 for 5 ( a nice improvement for her), Zaay was 2-4 and Cheridene was 0-1; Rennia was 1-1.

Last edited:
Wilt didn't need to be a great free throw shooter since he got most of his own rebounds and slammed the ball down the throat of the basket.

One metric that can help determine how a team is playing well or why they are playing poorly is the NCAA Ranking Summary for WCBB.

The thing that stands out for me is the lack of assists (Baylor leads the category averaging 24+ per game, UT averages 14+) and the A/TO ratio. Oregon A/TO is better than 2.0/game while the UT ratio is just less than 1.0. Poor assist and A/TO rankings have been a problem for the team for years and IMO it's a direct reflection on their style of play.

I suspect that most of the teams ranked above UT have better assist and turnover numbers.

One metric that can help determine how a team is playing well or why they are playing poorly is the NCAA Ranking Summaryfor WCBB.

The thing that stands out for me is the lack of assists (Baylor leads the category averaging 24+ per game, UT averages 14+) and the A/TO ratio. Oregon A/TO is better than 2.0/game while the UT ratio is just less than 1.0. Poor assist and A/TO rankings have been a problem for the team for years and IMO it's a direct reflection on their style of play.

I suspect that most of the teams ranked above UT have better assist and turnover numbers.

You are correct, all teams ahead of us have better than 1.0 A/T ratio. It is definitely something we need to correct. A lot of it stems from the kind of offense we run, it is outdated and stagnate. Would love to see us run something with more motion, like a 4 out look, not necessarily a Princeton offense as we do not have consistent enough shooters from 3 to run that effectively. Have to get players moving so we can get some easy assisted buckets in more situations than just transition.

Reactions: Will83

VN Store

Back