The Official #6 Tennessee vs. Texas A&M - Corpus Christi Game Thread, 12:00 PM ET, SEC Network

I'm not sure why anyone would say that. They literally couldn't stop him in the last 5 minutes, he scored or assisted on our last 13 points in regulation, and obviously our last shot in regulation would have gone to him instead of Bone. Maybe we don't win it there with that shot, but given how much he was dominating them, I'll take our chances. There are other reasons we didn't win, like no securing the defensive rebound at the end (which Grant would have helped with), but that's the main reason.
Guess I'll just have to agree with Barnes. He said we lost because our guards refused to drive the ball, took too many bad shots, shot too many 3s and made bonehead mistakes in the last 4 minutes. Williams couldn't have done much more to win the game than he did. Can't put the loss on him.

On Turner I don't even think Barnes has an idea from the way I heard him talk. It's just a psychological thing right now. I think as far as the 6th and 7th man is concerned most of us think we need to find the 2 and that they need to provide more help by executing on the floor.

Other than that I appreciate what you bring to the BB forum...I enjoy reading your post. Thx
Like I said I don’t think you can ask for much more from a 6th man than what Bowden gave you today....appreciate the kind words.

Guess I'll just have to agree with Barnes. He said we lost because our guards refused to drive the ball, took too many bad shots, shot too many 3s and made bonehead mistakes in the last 4 minutes. Williams couldn't have done much more to win the game than he did. Can't put the loss on him.
I'm not putting it on him. They had no answer for him, but he fouled out to end the game. You can put the blame on the refs, or on Barnes for not managing the foul situation better, but when the game is on the line you want the ball in the hands of your best player. Grant is our best player. Dedric Lawson was theirs and he beat us. It's that simple. If he's on the court, we win, despite all the other things we did wrong.

Reactions: The Dog
He got in much better shape this year, but just isn’t displaying much skill or basketball IQ

He has skills (not a shooter away from the basket though) and a high basketball IQ. Barnes is probably loading him up with some pretty complicated concepts and he's still getting used to them and the speed going from high school to D-1 (or whatever the division is called). Last year he probably had simpler responsibilities.

Reactions: The Dog
Sorry for a negative late post, my account has been down. Think there is a consensus on the game not being our best, but I just wanted to say that unless Walker gets better in a hurry, I don't think he is Tennessee caliber. Horrid on FTs, not impressive in shooting, and turns it over a fair amount.

Don't think he has the handles to dribble drive, but if he does he has to be more comfortable with ft's

I know the competition level is different, but check out 2:53, 3:56 ,4:30. We don’t need him to do anything complicated like going iso, but if there is space he should be able to take one or two direct dribbles to the basket. You are right that his free throws are an issue, which is why he must slam it down, so he is only missing the and one.

I know the competition level is different, but check out 2:53, 3:56 ,4:30. We don’t need him to do anything complicated like going iso, but if there is space he should be able to take one or two direct dribbles to the basket. You are right that his free throws are an issue, which is why he must slam it down, so he is only missing the and one.

Huuummmmmmmmmmmm !!!!!! You think he has regressed or just troubles within Barnes offense

Huuummmmmmmmmmmm !!!!!! You think he has regressed or just troubles within Barnes offense
I think there’s a major difference in competition for 1, also if you notice in the first highlight mentioned nobody was within 10 feet to contest his dribble, it was a 1 dribble drive which we seen from him here. He struggles with someone in his face and trying to make multiple dribbles to get around them, slashing/pump fake and drive/curls etc are where he excels because he can take 1-2 power dribbles max and rise up, that’s about his limit.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I think there’s a major difference in competition for 1, also if you notice in the first highlight mentioned nobody was within 10 feet to contest his dribble, it was a 1 dribble drive which we seen from him here. He struggles with someone in his face and trying to make multiple dribbles to get around them, slashing/pump fake and drive/curls etc are where he excels because he can take 1-2 power dribbles max and rise up, that’s about his limit.

Right but he looked good under the basket to me. Kid has some good footwork and is a leaper.

What do you mean by under the basket? What marks in that video are you referencing?
I guess I should have said around the basket. I think the kid could post up some and flash to the basket also. Could be a good shot blocker and rebounder. Run some plays to the basket for the kid.

I guess I should have said around the basket. I think the kid could post up some and flash to the basket also. Could be a good shot blocker and rebounder. Run some plays to the basket for the kid.

Did you miss the backside alley-oop in the last game that was ran for him?

Guys don't you think that our problems really begin to stick out like a sore thumb. We still have awhile before SEC play begins but evidently our problems with Bone, Bowden, Pons, Walker, Fulky not improving. Some of these guys absolutely have to separate themselves from the crowd or we are going to be hurting. Still time to solve some problems.

This was a doozie

Reactions: VolsSportsFan

VN Store

Back