The QB Debate (Week 13)

If I were teaching him, I’d keep it simple. Set, Snap, then run like hell. RUN like Gandalf did. He should split time with the track team until we get any assemblence of a line.

Reactions: lexkyvol
We don't know how good he really is,he gets hit so hard so many times every game.The OL should pay him for taking this crap every week.I know I would not feel good about passing behind this line.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Why lie? Your father nor you can choose how the sites label you. You and another poster have posted this lie several times.

He was ranked high because he is good.

Maybe if he wasn't beat up from hits he would be able run a lil more. He can probably barely move with all the hits he's taken. Or maybe the just isn't opening up running lanes.

I aint defending daddy. I'm just the messenger.

His HS stats do not communicate "running threat" at all. He didn't get the label due to his play. He was an excellent pocket passer in HS. If he had any sort of green light to run, he would have done so and got 15-20 yards easy on our 2nd or 3rd possession Saturday. Their was nobody covering the keeper on the option. The RB got stuffed for 0.

We don't know how good he really is,he gets hit so hard so many times every game.The OL should pay him for taking this crap every week.I know I would not feel good about passing behind this line.

Oh, the line's bad alright. But the RBs and TEs are right there with them.

True. Some on here hated Dobbs as well. Wonder why?

back down off the baiting.

There are plenty on here that hate whoever is QB, even if they're good. Ainge got hate, Bray got hate and Crompton got hate. You only see the hate you want to see.

The commonality between every QB here since Martin (who didn't get that much hate that I saw)? Constantly losing to Florida and no SEC titles. The QB, good or not, is the first guy that's gonna get hate if the results aren't showing up.

How many times has he gotten blasted on 3rd and long on our 1st possession?

At some point we need to roll him out or quickly throw that 50/50 ball down the sidelines.
JG has rolled out some. Enough to set up some big plays on throw backs. Not sure why we haven’t done it more but could be because there’s so much pressure on the edge. People often reference how Kiffin rolled Crompton to buy time, but Crompton had Chris Scott, Jacques McClendon, and Luke Stocker blocking for him. Because of those strengths, Kiffin could scheme around the weaknesses of the Sullins brothers. We have no strengths in pass protection. Plus Crompton was a pretty good passer on the move. JG is not. His best spot is probably 5 yards behind the center. Unfortunately, our interior linemen are just as bad as our OTs, so his best spot isn’t a great spot to stand.

Occasionally, like against Kentucky, our pass protection has been good enough and JG has been able to throw the ball accurately down field. We need more of that.

He takes the ball after the snap then stands there like he has lots of time and gets clobbered over and over. I thought he was supposed to be a duel threat QB. Why doesn`t he run for at least 2 yards rather than taking a 10 yard loss. I know we have a porous OL but, you would think if he is a running QB, he could gain 2-3 yards rather than taking a loss.

By the way, our OC is driving me crazy with his predictable play calling.
Check out his career rushing stats. He has NEVER been dual threat.

Aibge broke this down Friday.

He doesn't hold the ball too long. There isn't much time to throw. When he has held thw ball it is because he is trying to make a play downfield. The hits and pressure have been due to missed assignments.
When he is trying to make a play downfield, he should release it sooner and maybe hit someone in stride instead of them pausing and waiting on the ball. There is a thought

Reactions: jacvols
I guess it's going to take another 2 years for most people to figure out that JG is N-O-T a dual threat QB. He confessed that his father "labeled" him as such in HS in order to get him more interest from colleges. He fell into that category on recruiting sites and now he's stuck with it forever it seems.

Lordy don't let some of JG followers read this. You will be called a liar.

JG has rolled out some. Enough to set up some big plays on throw backs. Not sure why we haven’t done it more but could be because there’s so much pressure on the edge. People often reference how Kiffin rolled Crompton to buy time, but Crompton had Chris Scott, Jacques McClendon, and Luke Stocker blocking for him. Because of those strengths, Kiffin could scheme around the weaknesses of the Sullins brothers. We have no strengths in pass protection. Plus Crompton was a pretty good passer on the move. JG is not. His best spot is probably 5 yards behind the center. Unfortunately, our interior linemen are just as bad as our OTs, so his best spot isn’t a great spot to stand.

Occasionally, like against Kentucky, our pass protection has been good enough and JG has been able to throw the ball accurately down field. We need more of that.

On obvious passing downs when they send extra on the blitz the best bet has been the catch and throw. We struggle with picking the blitz up. I’d rather go shotgun with an empty backfield so our QB has to pay attention to who is coming from where. JG sits back there expecting to have enough time(Sure it’s fair to expect more than 1 Mississippi, but it isn’s reality.) to let a play develop and ends up getting blasted either getting knocked out of the game of giving up the sack fumble.

How can I see it coming but nobody on the team or staff can? That’s what bugs me the most.

Passing on typical running downs has helped slow the rush too. Passing on typical passing downs, he better catch it and throw it.

On obvious passing downs when they send extra on the blitz the best bet has been the catch and throw. We struggle with picking the blitz up. I’d rather go shotgun with an empty backfield so our QB has to pay attention to who is coming from where. JG sits back there expecting to have enough time(Sure it’s fair to expect more than 1 Mississippi, but it isn’s reality.) to let a play develop and ends up getting blasted either getting knocked out of the game of giving up the sack fumble.

How can I see it coming but nobody on the team or staff can? That’s what bugs me the most.

Passing on typical running downs has helped slow the rush too. Passing on typical passing downs, he better catch it and throw it.
What makes you think the staff can’t see it coming? I assure you they see more than you do. Teaching is a process

Which is funnier? The fact that he is being "tought" (is Mizoo the second team for the OP by any chance?) or that one of the first comments was that JG isn't a "duel" QB.

Maybe he should try the duel thing like the dude did in "The Last Boy Scout" movie with Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans. That young man "dueled" his way directly to the end zone.

Reactions: 37620VOL
What makes you think the staff can’t see it coming? I assure you they see more than you do. Teaching is a process

But why do they sometimes call for the quick throw and other times call for the hold it then throw?

It’s a costly lesson to learn over and over. I thought we got lucky avoiding the sack fumble except for the TKO of JG.

How many times does JG have to get blasted on our 1st 3rd and long of each game?

back down off the baiting.

There are plenty on here that hate whoever is QB, even if they're good. Ainge got hate, Bray got hate and Crompton got hate. You only see the hate you want to see.

The commonality between every QB here since Martin (who didn't get that much hate that I saw)? Constantly losing to Florida and no SEC titles. The QB, good or not, is the first guy that's gonna get hate if the results aren't showing up.
pretty spot on there agent , to your point (valid ) I will also add that Clausen was / is not all that well liked to this day and he helped lead his team to back to back wins in the Swamp! There was that multi fumble game @ Neyland against UF, with a few being on the goal line ,but a lot of fans hated Clausen both before and after .

Okay, the question was how is he being thought of.....not how is he being thought of if.....

I thought the question was how he was being taught. But I suppose your interpretation is equally as likely.

But it's neither here nor there, the way I evaluate a QB is the same as I evaluate business. The key to running a business is to make money now and in the future. Same with a QB and a football team. I want to do what results in the most wins now and in the future. And unless he is quickly recruited over, JG is the answer to this equation. I want him to win now but it's even more important that we prepare to win in the future. If this response doesn't answer the original question, I really don't care.

Credit to Eliyahu M. Goldratt where due.

VN Store

Back