The QB Debate (Week 13)

Chryst was 3/6 vs UNC. That is not a win on his record. Just like the Mizzou game was his game because actually played.

This is a great thread to weed out the users that need to be added to my ignore list. JG is top 5 in the conference and in the top quarter of QBs in the country. Appreciate what you have b/c he might be gone to the league after next year.

Reactions: k-town_king
His stats justify the coaches going with JG all year.

JG has only thrown an interception in 1 game as both of his came against Florida.

Kid plays behind Drew Richmond, completes 66% of his passes and hasn’t thrown an interception in 7 games now, yet half or more users on here have been calling for Chryst for most of the year. Just crazy.

Chryst got his shot last night against one of the worst defenses in the country and completed 36% of his passes and had 2 interceptions.

Let’s start supporting our guy. Time for VolNation to show JG the same amount of love that the National Media does.

Nobody in school history has thrown more passes without an interception than Jarrett has. And we’ve had some pretty darn good players come through here. The fact that he’s done it behind one of the worst offensive lines in the country is nothing short of outstanding.
But we just didnt know.(blue font)

He takes the ball after the snap then stands there like he has lots of time and gets clobbered over and over. I thought he was supposed to be a duel threat QB. Why doesn`t he run for at least 2 yards rather than taking a 10 yard loss. I know we have a porous OL but, you would think if he is a running QB, he could gain 2-3 yards rather than taking a loss.

By the way, our OC is driving me crazy with his predictable play calling.

duel.jpg

My only knock on JG is that I wish he’d find a way to throw the ball away now and again.

Most of the time he HAS to eat it through no fault of his own, but there are times he could throw it away and keep up from getting in long down and distance situations.

Reactions: Beardog and Rockyjr
Well he has three options
1.) throw the ball into coverage and turn it over
2.) stand in there and throw the ball and take the hit which is what he normally does
3.) stand in there and take the sack 2 seconds after the ball is snapped.
JG is doing fine this year. Drew Lock wouldn’t be a draft prospect behind this O Line.

You gave a accurate answer, just don't understand why people are still asking the question.

He takes the ball after the snap then stands there like he has lots of time and gets clobbered over and over. I thought he was supposed to be a duel threat QB. Why doesn`t he run for at least 2 yards rather than taking a 10 yard loss. I know we have a porous OL but, you would think if he is a running QB, he could gain 2-3 yards rather than taking a loss.

I'm sure they practice everyday and tell JG listened take the snap, hold the ball until you are about to be clobbered, and try and throw while a 290lb defensive lineman is driving you into the ground.

Reactions: lexkyvol and Alto1
It seems we currently have two options.

Get the ball out quicker "KC" and throw the pic. And live to play the next game.

Hold the ball "JG" and get knocked into the next zip code. I'm surprised he's not eating with a straw at this point.
Watching him take the shots right up the middle it almost seems like he just doesn't see the blitzer that's right in his face, or he's trying to prove a point.

Reactions: bigdaddyh
Chryst was 3/6 vs UNC. That is not a win on his record. Just like the Mizzou game was his game because actually played.

But he started the game and was leading when he went out. Are you saying there is a minimum of pass or plays before a game should go on a starter’s record?

I guess it's going to take another 2 years for most people to figure out that JG is N-O-T a dual threat QB. He confessed that his father "labeled" him as such in HS in order to get him more interest from colleges. He fell into that category on recruiting sites and now he's stuck with it forever it seems. Add to that he has dark skin and the stereotypes kick in and reinforce the notion. He followed Josh Dobbs (who ironically was listed as a Pro-Style QB on recruiting sites) and has similar stature. That reinforces the idea that he was Butches hand picked replacement for his spread system. Even though Jones' history as a head coach shows that he started more Pro-Style QBs over his tenure than dual threats.

He is a fast runner. You can see that whenever he gets out in the open with the ball. But he does not have moves that make him a threat outside strait line speed. This is why coach Jones and coach Pruitt are both using him as a pocket passer.

Jarrett Guarantano is a Pro-style QB. Tell all your friends. Maybe most of the fanbase will have that figured out by the time they stop spelling the other guys name "Dormandy".

Another predictable thing are some of these posts..

2 more years of JG..yikes

JG as a starter has 6 wins and 11 losses...

The future (next two years) look bright!..
Yeah, 5 out of those 6 wins have come this season, and more than half of the losses were as a freshman last year under Butch during our worst season in school history. He also played injured in 4 games last year if you’ll remember.

Additionally, 9 of those games were played against top 25 teams.

A win/loss record isn’t determined by 1 guy, it’s a team statistic. Our team has been pretty awful over the past 2 seasons.

Last year our run defense ranked 3rd to last (128th out of 130) in the nation and gave up 251.3 rushing yards per game on average.

Any team with a defense that bad would have a hard time winning games. Was that Jarrett’s fault? Absolutely not.

In the 17 game span between this season and last season that you mentioned, Jarrett has completed 65% of his passes while throwing 15 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions.

And he’s done it as a freshman and sophomore playing behind the worst O Line in the country in the toughest conference in all of college football.

So yeah, you’re saying the guy who’s thrown 4 interceptions in 17 games (the majority of which were played against 25 teams) is the reason why our team sucks?

I’d say that’s a fundamentally poor argument.

VN Store

Back