'19 JUCO DT Savion Williams (Tennessee signee)

What about bennett....and there's some other big dt...should be soph this year or freshmen can't remember his name
Matthew Butler is the one that I think has the talent to break out next year. From what I have heard, has all the talent, just thinks too much, instead of reacting and playing fast. Good problem to have, imo, it will click for him, eventually. Parade All-America with 30+ sacks as a senior in high school. I'm hoping next year is when all the potential becomes production for Butler

Matthew Butler is the one that I think has the talent to break out next year. From what I have heard, has all the talent, just thinks too much, instead of reacting and playing fast. Good problem to have, imo, it will click for him, eventually. Parade All-America with 30+ sacks as a senior in high school. I'm hoping next year is when all the potential becomes production for Butler

Coaches are also high on John Mincey, who is just a freshman this year.

Guessing next year’s 2-deep on DL looks like:

Williams-Gooden-Middleton
Mincey-Emerson-Butler

If we land another stud like Eboigbe, he’s in in there too.

Mincey-Emerson-Butler

The more butchs player's are gone the quicker we have a football team of football players. ...

What about Bennett and crosby.....i think Bennett has flashed atleast. And mincey.....i don't know that we will really have drop off on either line

Reactions: bpalmer28
What about Bennett and crosby.....i think Bennett has flashed atleast. And mincey.....i don't know that we will really have drop off on either line
Almost forgot emerson.....way go much talent to not be much better next year......weight room and attitude change is what line needs

Mincey-Emerson-Butler

I’m thinking this:

E: Mincey-Butler-Eboigbe
T: Gooden-Williams-Simmons
E: Emerson-Middleton-Garland

The efficacy of this group...just like with the OL...is going to depend largely on the off-season S&C gains they make...I have faith that Fitzgerald is worth the money we’re paying him

I’m thinking this:

The efficacy of this group...just like with the OL...is going to depend largely on the off-season S&C gains they make...I have faith that Fitzgerald is worth the money we’re paying him

I can dig it. I hope Emerson is as good as we’re all hoping. Is he supposed to make a full recovery from his injury and be his old self again?

I’m thinking this:

Williams is an end all the way. True strait up 5-tech guy. Very quick.

I’m thinking this:

You guys are forgetting Bennett. He played well at DE against Kentucky. We’ve got no reason to think Emerson will pass him or anyone on the depth chart.

I think Simmons could start day 1. Not convinced yet that Williams will be a major contributor.

You guys are forgetting Bennett. He played well at DE against Kentucky. We’ve got no reason to think Emerson will pass him or anyone on the depth chart.

I think Simmons could start day 1. Not convinced yet that Williams will be a major contributor.

I haven’t necessarily forgotten about him but I am concerned he’s too much of tweener for this defense...he certainly has the bloodlines and athleticism to contribute if the coaches find the right role for him

Mincey-Emerson-Butler

Mincey is going to be a star. He showed up a 17 year old kid.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Bennett has been moved to OLB. They played him at DE vs Kentucky but this week he was back practicing with the olbs.

I’m thinking this:

I knida hope Pruitt can get his hands on some of that Alabama pixie dust. That might help our guys get bigger, stronger and faster in the off season.

“After the game, coach Pruitt came to the room with all the recruits and I was talking to him,” Williams explained.

“I could tell that he was bothered by the way they lost. I understand the process. I understand what’s going on right now. He’s a new coach. He’s coming in and trying to fix things up. He got thrown into a situation.

“But next year, as good as the recruiting class is that’s coming in, we feel like we can definitely make an impact immediately. We feel like we can be a 7,8 or 9-win team next year. People might think I’m crazy, but I really think with all my heart that we’re going to come in here and make a big impact.”

The Vols are set to lose a trio of senior defensive lineman, including tackles Shy Tuttle and Alexis Johnson. Tracy Rocker envisions Williams as a plug-and-play contributor, similar to his weekend host Emmit Gooden.

“They tell me everyday that they wish I was here right now,” Williams said.

“They need me. They need me in the middle. Coach Rocker, he wants me to play the 3-technique and the 4i. All weekend, they told me how they wished they had me on the field now. I’m expected to come in and be a big help (next season).”

Williams is expected to help Tennessee shore up its inconsistent rush defense in 2019. This fall for a 10-0 Lackawanna team, he’s recorded 32 tackles and 10 stops for a loss.

“I’d filled my role,” Williams said.

“It’s hard, we run a 3-3-5. So I have to sacrifice the stats. But I’m just trying to my job.”

Williams plans to sign with Tennessee in December and enroll in May. He’s eager to get back to Knoxville, saying the message from coaches and players was loud and clear.

“(Emmit) just kept telling me, ‘We need help. We need these recruits. We can’t wait for y’all to come in.”
-VQ

Simonton said yesterday that he will sign in December, but not show up until May.

Last edited:
He’s also coming off a serious injury.
yeah, i'm not concerned about Emerson.

he's a true freshmen, coming off the afformentioned injury. Just because he wasn't an instant impact player doesn't mean he's going to be a bust or can't play.

i remember the days when it was the exception, not the rule, that a true freshman had to be considered "instant impact" in order to be successful.

people get enamoured with what Bama or Georgia or whoever does with freshman players.

what they don't mention is that generally, when those type programs are starting freshmen or giving them significatn playing time, it generally is because the kid can contribute becuase he's that good.

not because he has to, because what's here isn't all that good.

and we're in the 2nd category unfortunately. i'd tell you that we've done more to stunt development to some of the freshmen we've played the past few yearst than helped them. which is why we're so lean now and have no depth.

WE HAVE HAD to play freshmen. it's time for that not to be the case anymore.

Reactions: Blake25p

VN Store

Back