The QB Debate (Week 13)

So the qb that threw 25 ints and completed 51% in high school and who all reports and coaches say is far far behind is going to come in for the guy who is at 65% in the SEC with the lowest amount of ints in school history?

I don't know what some of you are thinking.

I almost always agree with everything you say when it comes to JG vs KC.
This time is no different.

If you believe there are 2 sides to the story, then read on. Otherwise, tell me I'm full of sheet and move on with your love fest.

JG is an average QB... not suited for the SEC. Demonstrated the inability to read defenses, cannot read a blitz or move around in the pocket to extend a play or even use his legs to gain yards. Stats you refer to are impressive... should have a great W-L record... what is it by the way (real question).

Next year, all it will take to displace JG is a QB that shows mobility, with a reasonable arm... I look forward to a battle at QB next year. Remember... that entire Oline returns (minus those are declare entry to the NFL).

So, tell me... what makes JG the man at QB next year.
I can appreciate there being 2 sides, differing opinions make for good conversation.

I think one thing that has been largely forgotten is that this is Jarrett and everyone else’s first year in this system. He had spring practice and fall camp to learn a completely new playbook and build rapport with a few tight ends and receivers that were either new to the program or didn’t have much (if any) game experience before this season.

I agree that he needs to work on his ability to anticipate pressure but I think a lot of that has to do with Helton teaching a very stripped down version of his offense largely due to the offensive line. It wasn’t too long ago that we didn’t even attempt a pass until 3rd and long for this very reason, which Pruitt confirmed in a post game presser earlier this year (can’t remember which game, but I think it might have been Georgia). As a result of constant pressure, recognizing blitzes probably hasn’t been a focal point because as we saw with Chryst, it doesn’t matter which QB plays, they’re gonna get hit almost every play. This isn’t an excuse, just an observation.

Additionally, JG’s completion percentage on passes 30 yards or more is currently top 10 in the country.

Jarrett’s ability to protect the football despite facing more pressure than any QB in the conference, combined with his arm talent and youth give me reason to believe that he’s going to be a very good ball player before his time on the hill runs out.

His improvement year-over-year has been nothing short of impressive in my humble opinion.

In the past 2 seasons we’ve tried Chryst, Dormady and McBride and Jarrett has been better than all of them. I don’t think Will Shrout will push Jarrett for the starting job anytime soon.

His stats justify the coaches going with JG all year.

JG has only thrown an interception in 1 game as both of his came against Florida.

Kid plays behind Drew Richmond, completes 66% of his passes and hasn’t thrown an interception in 7 games now, yet half or more users on here have been calling for Chryst for most of the year. Just crazy.

Chryst got his shot last night against one of the worst defenses in the country and completed 36% of his passes and had 2 interceptions.

Let’s start supporting our guy. Time for VolNation to show JG the same amount of love that the National Media does.

Nobody in school history has thrown more passes without an interception than Jarrett has. And we’ve had some pretty darn good players come through here. The fact that he’s done it behind one of the worst offensive lines in the country is nothing short of outstanding.

Both if these QBs are my guy. Why the eff you guys want to pretend one of them isnt on the team or the other should sitting the bench instead of starting baffles me.

Who cares which one is out there? Neither are great but it is obvious that overall JG is better. KC is strong in some areas but JG likely gives us a slightly better chance to win.

So the qb that threw 25 ints and completed 51% in high school and who all reports and coaches say is far far behind is going to come in for the guy who is at 65% in the SEC with the lowest amount of ints in school history?

I usually like to "think" our fans are capable of reading and understanding things... apparently I was wrong.
I was at least correct that at least one of the former "Chryst should start" has moved on to Shrout. Go read Volman365's post on his game takeaways.

If you believe there are 2 sides to the story, then read on. Otherwise, tell me I'm full of sheet and move on with your love fest.

JG is an average QB... not suited for the SEC. Demonstrated the inability to read defenses, cannot read a blitz or move around in the pocket to extend a play or even use his legs to gain yards. Stats you refer to are impressive... should have a great W-L record... what is it by the way (real question).

Next year, all it will take to displace JG is a QB that shows mobility, with a reasonable arm... I look forward to a battle at QB next year. Remember... that entire Oline returns (minus those are declare entry to the NFL).

LOVE that blue font.

No ground game+no protection+Big slow receivers+lack of cohesiveness VS 2-deep zone coverages+d-line ears pinned back=death.

His stats justify the coaches going with JG all year.

JG has only thrown an interception in 1 game as both of his came against Florida.

Kid plays behind Drew Richmond, completes 66% of his passes and hasn’t thrown an interception in 7 games now, yet half or more users on here have been calling for Chryst for most of the year. Just crazy.

Chryst got his shot last night against one of the worst defenses in the country and completed 36% of his passes and had 2 interceptions.

Let’s start supporting our guy. Time for VolNation to show JG the same amount of love that the National Media does.

Nobody in school history has thrown more passes without an interception than Jarrett has. And we’ve had some pretty darn good players come through here. The fact that he’s done it behind one of the worst offensive lines in the country is nothing short of outstanding.
The same people wanting Chryst to start will be saying JT Shrout should get the start before most of the games next year. It's a never ending cycle.

He was just saying that since Chryst sucks all the Chryst lovers will move on and start bitching about benching JG for Shrout.

With JG in there, we avoid the two int's. But, he gets sacked 6 or 7 more times.

Maybe a decent offensive line? I don't know, just spit-balling here.....

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
That second pick was ugly though.

the truth is that many College football QB's as well as NFL Qb's have and still do throw those same type interceptions. Not only that one but those across the middle as well. They just never see that defensive player. Watch the replay on the first interception. KC definitely expected Callaway to cut the route short or as one poster said he would have went over the top with it on the long ball. It may have been miscommunication on boths parts for all I know. KC's lack of integration with the timing of the receivers day in and day out as the current weeks game play is installed does affect the back ups play.

I’m not a guy who pretends to know things but I read a lot form people who do. Everyone that I’ve read that’s watched practice has said that JT is a project and is way behind JG. JG is likely the guy unless we land a super star freshman.

I just keep reminding myself at this point in Dobbs career there were just as many haters as JG has now.
Yeah, Dobbs was in deep trouble trying to run Butchies offense... he shined once he started to ignore a lot of the BS plays and just trusted his feet. That paid dividends for him. He created an offense from nothing. Extremely talented.

Yesterday should have settled this debate. KC is not the starter because his arm is weaker. As a result he can't stretch the field like JG, can't make some of the throws, and is turnover prone. Jarrett has his issues too for sure. But ball security makes him the clear starter. Keller may well get a chance to prove me wrong if JG can't start. If so, I hope he does. But, from what I saw yesterday, Pruitt picked the correct QB this year.

It settled it for me. He’s not accurate with the football and he threw 2 interceptions that were game changers. Not to mention he was 7 of 19.

His arm isn’t good enough for a SEC QB. I wish him the best but I hope I NEVER see him play meaningful snaps again, unfortunately, he’s a liability to the team.

Reactions: k-town_king
No ground game+no protection+Big slow receivers+lack of cohesiveness VS 2-deep zone coverages+d-line ears pinned back=death.
DC's are well aware JG holds the ball toooo long trying to find open receivers rather than throwing to a spot. They know our offensive line is incapable of holding their blocks. They are well aware Tennessee offensive line cannot pick up a blitz of one much less two blitzers . DC's would be crazy for not putting pressure on the QB with that offensive line. Blitz until you drop

Reactions: kbear01

I don't know what some of you are drinking.
fify

Both if these QBs are my guy. Why the eff you guys want to pretend one of them isnt on the team or the other should sitting the bench instead of starting baffles me.

Who cares which one is out there? Neither are great but it is obvious that overall JG is better. KC is strong in some areas but JG likely gives us a slightly better chance to win.

This is an awesome post. In your first paragraph you criticized people for doing exactly what you did in your second paragraph. Lol

Reactions: kbear01
This is an awesome post. In your first paragraph you criticized people for doing exactly what you did in your second paragraph. Lol

Imma type this slow for you okay.

The poster I was replying to suggested that we get behind "our guy" meaning JG. My post simply pointed out that actually having "a guy" is silly.

If any of those words are too large or confusing for you I can take the discussion to PM so we dont clutter up the board with your tutoring lessons.

Take care.

Here we go, yet another thread that starts out innocent enough but turns into a JG v KC **** show. And even Shrout comes into the mix. The backup QB is always the best one. VN eternal mantra.

The fact is both QBs had terrible games yesterday. Both are good QBs and would be much better if we had an OL capable of doing the most simplest of things. But alas, we dont. At least not in any kind of consistent basis.

VN Store

Back