The QB Debate (Week 13)

They will just move on to Shrout.
Well, some will still try to use JG's drives before being pulled as proof he should not start too.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Possibly but that wasn’t the case against Bama
Well, for God’s sake, that was Bama.

No one is saying that JG is God’s gift to football. He has plenty of areas where he could be better, and then there’s the OL and the rest of the offense.

But to say that a better-qualified KC came in twice and rescued Tennessee from disaster caused by poor play by JG is just disingenuous.

A deliberate focus on stats without taking into account the real-time situations doesn’t shine any light. It’s just a bunch of harrumphing. In the end, we are an understaffed team, and we just have to get better players on the team, including at QB. IMO JMO FWIW TIFWIW MPH TWSS etc.

Reactions: BJSforVols
Well, for God’s sake, that was Bama.

No one is saying that JG is God’s gift to football. He has plenty of areas where he could be better, and then there’s the OL and the rest of the offense.

But to say that a better-qualified KC came in twice and rescued Tennessee from disaster caused by poor play by JG is just disingenuous.

A deliberate focus on stats without taking into account the real-time situations doesn’t shine any light. It’s just a bunch of harrumphing. In the end, we are an understaffed team, and we just have to get better players on the team, including at QB. IMO JMO FWIW TIFWIW MPH TWSS etc.
I think you’re reading too much into my comments big guy. I’m on the record as saying JG is a better QB, but also think there are some things that Chryst does better than JG, like get rid of the ball before getting destroyed. Just seems like folks are being a little too hard on Chryst. He’s done enough to earn respect as a decent backup.

Let me try this again. With a lot of teams some kids are kept out for OTHER REASONS than someone is better than them. Pruitt made a decision on the basis that JG would get better as the year went along. I don't think it had anything to do with "IF" KC was a better QB or would be at the end of the year. KC was brought in to fill a void and that is what he has done. Some things I disagree with Pruitt about. I'm not sure all things he says after a game is exactly the way it went down. JG is lacking badly in some necessary things that are required to play in this league and getting the right read and getting ball out is one of them. I look for him to have tough competition in the spring and maybe get beat out. This QB play cannot continue or it will be to Pruitts detriment.

Dude... JG is not gonna get beat out for the starting spot next season. That is 100 percent correct. You're off your facking rocker if you think Shrout or Maurer will beat him out for the starting spot. No matter how much you want it to happen... its just not gonna happen. You might as well get used to the idea.

Reactions: k-town_king
I think you’re reading too much into my comments big guy. I’m on the record as saying JG is a better QB, but also think there are some things that Chryst does better than JG, like get rid of the ball before getting destroyed. Just seems like folks are being a little to hard on Chryst. He’s done enough to earn respect as a decent backup.
Apologies for misunderstanding. I agree that KC s a decent backup.
Not a guy, btw. 1542587730231.gif(no prob whatever, but there’s often confusion with another poster with a similar name)

His arm isn’t as strong as JG or Lock’s, but he definitely makes quicker decisions and for the 2nd time this season he’s come in and scored TDs after JG couldn’t. Chryst is no hero, but he’s decent.
Except Bama, right?

I’m not going to say Chryst is better than JG but there’s not that much of a separation between the two.
Throwing a up a quick floater that is incomplete or intercepted isn't making a good quick decision.

He didn't do anything for the second time.
Bama he came in down down 28. Then he finished off the td drive that JG drove the majority of the field on. Then he had one good drive and was shut out the rest of the game.

JG was hurt at the beginning last night.

2 picks in 11 games, 2 picks in 1 and a half. 48.9% too 65%. There is a huge separation.

Your statement is correct. This is why I know that for the long term, Pruitt is not the answer
I truly believe that had Keller played against USC, we would have won already been bowl eligible
Thus, Pruitt doesn't play the best player always. A coach that wants to win MORE will field the best players.
Saban plays his best players. He doesn't play that

Just because you think KC is better doesn't mean the coaches do. You're just assuming they think KC is better. You're LOOKING for things to fit and support your opinion. Its far more likely that the coaches think JG gives us the best chance to win... and after KCs performance, you'd have to be DUMB to think he is better than JG...but whatever.

There’s a reason he’s the backup. There are some areas where he looks better than JG, but JG seems to be their better overall package.

People, we can’t be so damn picky. I think we should be grateful for what we’ve got for now, gritting our teeth, and wait for improved players.

Reactions: BJSforVols
Go back and watch the game again. The longer Chryst played the more Mizz filled up the box knowing that all they had to cover was 40 yards. You could watch the Mizz DBs, they were like vultures knowing every softball thrown by Chryst they had a chance to get on, go back and listen to the announcers, one who just happened to play QB in the NFL as both of them reference his lack of arm strength, listen to CJP talk about the pick, go watch his tape at Stanford of defenses doing the same thing to him there. Chryst was a made up savior by several in our fanbase when the facts just never backed it up. His armstrength has always been his drawback and after watching yesterday I do not agree with those that say his decision making skills are superior to JGs. The SEC possesses the strongest and fastest defenses in college football and those guys feast on weak QBs. That's been evident when we have played QBs named Worley, Dormandy and Chryst. You're just hanging on to the argument for other reasons it seems.
You are absolutely correct. Thats the best way to say.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Dude... JG is not gonna get beat out for the starting spot next season. That is 100 percent correct. You're off your facking rocker if you think Shrout or Maurer will beat him out for the starting spot. No matter how much you want it to happen... its just not gonna happen. You might as well get used to the idea.

never say never

Well, some will still try to use JG's drives before being pulled as proof he should not start too.
Dude you’re so delusional. JT Shrout was ranked as the 64th QB in his class (link below) and wasn’t even the starter for his high school team until his senior season.

The guy he backed up in high school, Nick Moore, isn’t a stud by any means, he’s currently 4th string at Eastern Washington University.

JT got a lot of offers for a couple good showings at summer passing camps throwing routes against air without pads or against any defense.

JT might be our guy down the road, but I personally feel that Jarrett is our guy for the next 2 seasons after this year.

What more would you want considering our offensive line? Chryst was 11-2 as a starter at Stanford yet he could only manage 7 completions and threw 2 interceptions yesterday against one of the worst defenses in the country.

JG has upset 2 top 25 teams (Auburn was 21st and Kentucky was 11th) and set a school record for most passes without an interception. Hasn’t thrown one in 7 games now.

Get a grip bro.

2018 Top Quarterback Recruits

Last edited:
Never. Its simply not happening. JG will be the starter the entire time he plays here.

Well, unless he improves drastically the Vols won't be doing much. On the bright side of things sometimes those R/S can make vast improvements. Next season seems is a lifetime away. Make all the assertions you want.

Dude you’re so delusional. JT Shrout was ranked as the 26th best Pro Style QB in his class and wasn’t even the starter for his high school team until his senior season.

The guy he backed up in high school, Nick Moore, isn’t a stud by any means, he’s currently 4th string at Eastern Washington University.

JT got a lot of offers for a couple good showings at summer passing camps throwing routes against air without pads or against any defense.

JT might be our guy down the road, but I personally feel that Jarrett is our guy for the next 2 seasons after this year.

What more would you want considering our offensive line? Chryst was 11-2 as a starter at Stanford yet he could only manage 7 completions and threw 2 interceptions yesterday against one of the worst defenses in the country.

JG has upset 2 top 15 teams and set a school record for most passes without an interception. Hasn’t thrown one in 7 games now.

Get a grip bro.

If you believe there are 2 sides to the story, then read on. Otherwise, tell me I'm full of sheet and move on with your love fest.

JG is an average QB... not suited for the SEC. Demonstrated the inability to read defenses, cannot read a blitz or move around in the pocket to extend a play or even use his legs to gain yards. Stats you refer to are impressive... should have a great W-L record... what is it by the way (real question).

Next year, all it will take to displace JG is a QB that shows mobility, with a reasonable arm... I look forward to a battle at QB next year. Remember... that entire Oline returns (minus those are declare entry to the NFL).

So, tell me... what makes JG the man at QB next year.

Lol, never had someone I was agreeing with throw this big of a fit.
As far as my point about Shrout... you might want to check out Volman365's takeaways from the game post (#6). I didn't see it until after I made my post, but it seems some already have.
Maybe you should get a grip... bro.

His stats justify the coaches going with JG all year.

JG has only thrown an interception in 1 game as both of his came against Florida.

Kid plays behind Drew Richmond, completes 66% of his passes and hasn’t thrown an interception in 7 games now, yet half or more users on here have been calling for Chryst for most of the year. Just crazy.

Chryst got his shot last night against one of the worst defenses in the country and completed 36% of his passes and had 2 interceptions.

Let’s start supporting our guy. Time for VolNation to show JG the same amount of love that the National Media does.

Nobody in school history has thrown more passes without an interception than Jarrett has. And we’ve had some pretty darn good players come through here. The fact that he’s done it behind one of the worst offensive lines in the country is nothing short of outstanding.
It is a miracle ..... no doubt about it

Reactions: WhitewaterVol
Some of the issues with KC are due to timing with the receivers being off. He hasn't worked with them enough. Plus I am sure the way JG has been getting the hell beat out of him all season effects the backup QB too. Who would want to take over for JG after watching that?

Reactions: BeardedVol
If you believe there are 2 sides to the story, then read on. Otherwise, tell me I'm full of sheet and move on with your love fest.

JG is an average QB... not suited for the SEC. Demonstrated the inability to read defenses, cannot read a blitz or move around in the pocket to extend a play or even use his legs to gain yards. Stats you refer to are impressive... should have a great W-L record... what is it by the way (real question).

Next year, all it will take to displace JG is a QB that shows mobility, with a reasonable arm... I look forward to a battle at QB next year. Remember... that entire Oline returns (minus those are declare entry to the NFL).

He's going to be a top 5 returning QB in the SEC next year as a Jr and there is nobody else currently on our roster capable of leading a Sr laden offense next year. That and the team would revolt on CJP much like it did Jones when he chose the weaker Dormandy to start over JG last season. It might be different if there were SEC talent sitting on the bench ready to play but at this time there isn't. JG will start the next 2 years and I expect our next starter to come from the 2020 class.

So the qb that threw 25 ints and completed 51% in high school and who all reports and coaches say is far far behind is going to come in for the guy who is at 65% in the SEC with the lowest amount of ints in school history?

I don't know what some of you are thinking.

His stats justify the coaches going with JG all year.

JG has only thrown an interception in 1 game as both of his came against Florida.

Kid plays behind Drew Richmond, completes 66% of his passes and hasn’t thrown an interception in 7 games now, yet half or more users on here have been calling for Chryst for most of the year. Just crazy.

Chryst got his shot last night against one of the worst defenses in the country and completed 36% of his passes and had 2 interceptions.

Let’s start supporting our guy. Time for VolNation to show JG the same amount of love that the National Media does.

Nobody in school history has thrown more passes without an interception than Jarrett has. And we’ve had some pretty darn good players come through here. The fact that he’s done it behind one of the worst offensive lines in the country is nothing short of outstanding.

I think we will have to support Chryst on Saturday, not sure JG will be able to play.

The O-line will all be backups to the incoming freshman class. lol. Ditto on the reading defenses, adjusting rb's and TE's for max protection, and extending plays with his legs. It's like he loses sight of his receivers, once he starts moving around.

So the qb that threw 25 ints and completed 51% in high school and who all reports and coaches say is far far behind is going to come in for the guy who is at 65% in the SEC with the lowest amount of ints in school history?

I don't know what some of you are thinking.
Dang! Why did we even bother recruiting this guy?

VN Store

Back