Pruitt's future here may depend on...

Not even close. If Pruitt doesnt read the writing on the wall and waits for Helton to prove what most people already know, it will be his head on the chopping block instead of Helton's. No excuse for 113th ranked offense with 4 and 5 star players.
Do you even comprehend what you are watching?

Reactions: igotworms
Helto. Is not good but Friend and his OL are not making his job any easier. I'd say Pruit wont make a move this off season because you dont want to lose continuancy but if they suck again next year he will have to in order to save his own job.

You don't need talent to mix up play calling. Throw a slant, screen, comeback, play action. It's run off tackle and 50/50 bombs. You have to at least try man. No excuses for lack of creativity there. Needs to get the ball in play makers hands. Needs to use Chandler in pass game more and Jennings

How many drops have the WRs had? They probably lead the SEC. our WRs lack speed. They are tough and can jump but thats about it. Are they great route runners? No. Look at Missouris WRs. Would you say the same about them? Nope. The fact that you and others are going to have to come to accept is, until we field a competent OL, we are going to struggle.

The OL has played well in 2 games this year. Against Auburn and UK. Guess what? We won and the offense and play calling were fine.

The verdict is still out, but the fear is this O may not work well in the SEC. to find out he will need an OL, which he doesn't have.

Two things though. I think Helton might be inconsistent in his game planning from week to week. Lastly, he is going to have to show he can score in the high 20s to 30s on a consistent basis (under normal circumstances, i.e. not 6 turnovers, etc.) ..... he has not so far.

Helto. Is not good but Friend and his OL are not making his job any easier. I'd say Pruit wont make a move this off season because you dont want to lose continuancy but if they suck again next year he will have to in order to save his own job.
I agree that Friend has been impressive as well. A guy like Hugh Freeze could be a real shot in the arm.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Pruitt's future is gonna depend on his ability to bring in the recruits all it really is. For whatever reason alot of vols never seem to realize the disadvantage we face with in state talent. Fulmer recruited his ass off and over came it.

Reactions: Alto1
These type of idiotic threads are going to be littered throughout VN. Its just sad that we have fans who just fail to understand how important stability is.
I'm not calling for the guys head, but you also need stability with the right coaches in place. Stability doesn't guarantee success. Offense needs to mix it up regardless. Look at the difference UT made in 1 off season under Cutcliff return. Not to mention this guy is still practically learning on the job in the toughest conference. Look at the job Dooley is doing as an OC, in his first year on the job. Sure our o line sucks. The point is, you've got to try.

It's not stupid to be unpredictable. It's stupid/stubborn, or even insane to keep running power and throwing on obvious 3rd downs.

I'm not calling for the guys head, but you also need stability with the right coaches in place. Stability doesn't guarantee success. Offense needs to mix it up regardless. Look at the difference UT made in 1 off season under Cutcliff return. Not to mention this guy is still practically learning on the job in the toughest conference. Look at the job Dooley is doing as an OC, in his first year on the job. Sure our o line sucks. The point is, you've got to try.

It's not stupid to be unpredictable. It's stupid/stubborn, or even insane to keep running power and throwing on obvious 3rd downs.

Rookie HC, OC and DC. Brand new scheme. Cutcliff? Did he have OC experience before returning? Dooley? Did he not have NFL offensive experience? Come on man. You have to give the guy a chance. Like I said, the OL has played good twice. And we won both games. The offense looked good in both. That should tell you all you need to know.

They didn’t run the same plays over and over, they couldn’t run any plays really. Our lines got manhandled, boys vs. men. I don’t care what level of football it is, you get dominated on the line and it doesn’t matter what plays you call.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
On his willingness to replace Helton. Helton is a liability to Pruitt and this team. There hasn't been a more predictable OC here since Randy Sanders.
Apparently you missed our starting QB getting destroyed for the 850th time this year, I’m no doctor but, I’d imagine you can only take so many of those

How many drops have the WRs had? They probably lead the SEC. our WRs lack speed. They are tough and can jump but thats about it. Are they great route runners? No. Look at Missouris WRs. Would you say the same about them? Nope. The fact that you and others are going to have to come to accept is, until we field a competent OL, we are going to struggle.
The OL has played well in 2 games this year. Against Auburn and UK. Guess what? We won and the offense and play calling were fine.

25% have been drops. But this offense strives in the passing game
It's not hard to run a slant, or a screen, or curls. It don't have to be slow developing, complex routes. CP couldn't run a route either, but you find ways to get the ball in your player's hands. Chandler and Jennings specifically

Reactions: kamoshika
Your take is no different than saying Pruitt should be gone after seeing his first 11 games as a head coach.

A head coach, just like coordinators, are playing with other players they didn’t recruit in their first year. To say Helton is a poor OC based on year 1 is pure stupidity and shows how little football you understand. Go play Madden some more. P
Another post I agree with 100%

VN Store

Back