Game Thread Lady Vols vs Presbyterian

The lady's seem to have a bad habit of bodying (riding) players after they are beat. They are lucky that more fouls are not called.

This is where height is a disadvantage. Unless they can move stealthily.
They have to use their length to quarry their prey, control where their quarry goes.
When a defender is taller, ergo longer, they have more length to stop.
Most often riding happens when the BHer stops and the defender's outside hip gets ahead of the Bher,,,the tendency is to throw the inside (left) hip inward to maintain contact.
The solution is simple: Don't get beat off the dribble.

A coach can recognize if a player is beaten very easily. ... Once the hips are turned to run and the slide is abandoned, they are beaten and in pursuit mode...

Reactions: lvocd
One other thought: There are three players who appear to make up their minds they are going to shoot next time they touch the ball long before the ball ever gets to them in the offense, and it could hurt us in the future IMO.

I won't name names, but one of them should know better than that by now.

I totally agree. Everyone in the house can see it happening as it happens.
And if I see one more "trailer" (with a better situation than the lead-Bher) not rewarded, I am going to be upset

We have to remember that half of this team are freshmen and one or two returnees did not play much last season. The only players we have that have a lot of playing time under their belt are Westbrooks, Jackson, Davis, and C. Green. This team should get a lot better with everygame. The biggest concern I have is team being over practiced and freshmen hitting a wall later this season. I don't know if we have the depth to keep up this 40 minutes of pressure for an entire season. I think these players hardest season is their freshman year. The total of longer practices, high intensity game play, and academics is quite a load for freshmen not used to this type of grind. It was evident that some of the freshmen last season got fatigued by the end of the season we'll have to watch what happens this season. For game one we really played well and turned it up to high gear in the second half of the game. I love the team know were gonna lose a few games but the future is bright.

These girls (freshmen as well) could play two games of full-court pressure and go home, file their nails and come back and do a double header the next day.
They are 18 and play year round BB.
It won't hit them that they're tired
until April.

These girls (freshmen as well) could play two games of full-court pressure and go home, file their nails and come back and do a double header the next day.
They are 18 and play year round BB.
It won't hit them that they're tired
until April.

I get what your saying regarding youth and recovery but if you're going đź’Ż full court press, you won't be able to go more than 4 minutes straight without it affecting your play. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't worry about a wall as long as we can go pretty deep to our bench.

I get what your saying regarding youth and recovery but if you're going đź’Ż full court press, you won't be able to go more than 4 minutes straight without it affecting your play. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't worry about a wall as long as we can go pretty deep to our bench.

exactly that....keep 5 in 5 out until you have to choose your warriors.
Groiwth over wins because growth causes wins

Reactions: 37620VOL
I just watched the game and for some reason I'm a bit disappointed in the win,all the missed lay ups and bunnys is a concern and the rebounding definitely needs to get better,and damn somebody get into good position and block out under the hoop

still a lot of work to do for this young team,with all the Freshmen I guess it is to be expected

Yes. Having a massive advantage in physical talent can paper over a lot of cracks. How the team implements fundamentals related to blocking out, defensive positioning, offensive execution is a better gage of the team than a lopsided win over a hopelessly mismatched opponent.

The solution is simple: Don't get beat off the dribble.

A coach can recognize if a player is beaten very easily. ... Once the hips are turned to run and the slide is abandoned, they are beaten and in pursuit mode...

I'm not that big a fan of the slide in man to man defense. I prefer for positioning similar to a cb in bump and run coverage on a wr. Slide step with a wide stance puts you in a hopeless position if the dribbler can turn you. And elite dribblers almost always can do that.

I want to see feet closer together. Dominant foot slightly infront of the other. You are in strong position to attack as well as defend. You threaten any crossover or pass to your right, the dribbler's left. On any drive you can more easily give ground while moving the dribbler wide of the lane. You don't have to turn and chase because you remain in a backpedal and you can still use your hands to threaten the ball.

I'm not that big a fan of the slide in man to man defense. I prefer for positioning similar to a cb in bump and run coverage on a wr. Slide step with a wide stance puts you in a hopeless position if the dribbler can turn you. And elite dribblers almost always can do that.

I want to see feet closer together. Dominant foot slightly infront of the other. You are in strong position to attack as well as defend. You threaten any crossover or pass to your right, the dribbler's left. On any drive you can more easily give ground while moving the dribbler wide of the lane. You don't have to turn and chase because you remain in a backpedal and you can still use your hands to threaten the ball.

who would be an example to watch do this?

Stanch varies from player to player, there is no one method fit all.

They are full court man to man, they are riding (bodying) players, running in there way, they are being very disruptive, I am enjoying the physicality of this years, Lady Vols team.

Holly knows with all this trapping, she is giving up something, players are going to get beat, but if she speeds the opposing team up enough (hopefully they want capitalize on it) or wear them out, the Lady Vols are doing their job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Only1COJ
I am talking about this season. She is still a 50% FT shooter so far. 6-12 by my count.

Benching her is not the best choice. Benching KK and playing Collins is a good move and maybe benching Meme and putting in Green. Meme will never have a high basketball IQ but she has unmatched athleticism.

I was in Knoxville for the big weekend (3-0 for men's basketball, football over UK, and the Lady Vols)!! It was great. This Lady Vols team is young, but seems like this group has intangibles that recent teams have lacked. Having Nickie Anosikie (I totally misspelled her name, sorry) has probably helped a lot. She was the workhorse of that last national championship team. Candice was the star, but Nickie did the dirty work inside.

I really like this team. Might not yet be ready to make a run all the way to the championship and will probably stumble once or twice this season due to youth, but we should probably feel better about how far they can go!

Reactions: ksl415
I was in Knoxville for the big weekend (3-0 for men's basketball, football over UK, and the Lady Vols)!! It was great. This Lady Vols team is young, but seems like this group has intangibles that recent teams have lacked. Having Nickie Anosikie (I totally misspelled her name, sorry) has probably helped a lot. She was the workhorse of that last national championship team. Candice was the star, but Nickie did the dirty work inside.

I really like this team. Might not yet be ready to make a run all the way to the championship and will probably stumble once or twice this season due to youth, but we should probably feel better about how far they can go!

I looked back at the 98 squad. This Lady Vols team is similar to them, in regards to defense. If this team can get their offense going, the sky is the limit.

Benching her is not the best choice. Benching KK and playing Collins is a good move and maybe benching Meme and putting in Green. Meme will never have a high basketball IQ but she has unmatched athleticism.

I would agree with that statement and those swaps. I do feel that she needs to be held accountable for her poor FT shooting though, and we all know the best way to motivate a competitive person; sit them down. You can't have a PG at this level shooting 50% from the line. I think her shot looks much better and I hope it comes along because she looked fantastic against Presbyterian for the most part.

I didn't realize Anosikie was back with the team! One of my favorite lady vols ever, if anyone can teach someone to play defense it is her. Pat used to have her guarding the point guard in some instances, she was a fantastic defensive player.

I looked back at the 98 squad. This Lady Vols team is similar to them, in regards to defense. If this team can get their offense going, the sky is the limit.

I noticed in the Carson-Newman game that some of the Lady Vols were keeping their arms to their sides and not using them to pester the ball handlers enough, but they showed improvement in the Presby game. That may be part of the reason they were able to force more turnovers. I LOVE a team that's willing to do the exhausting defensive work of irritating the opponent by waving the arms and hands when guarding someone. Yes, waving the arms DOES wear a player out faster than just hanging them at their sides and trying to let the legs and feet do all the work, but it is MUCH more irritating and discombobulating to opposing offenses if the defense pesters them like swarming gnats! Back in the day when I played I hated to play teams that did a lot of arm waving and pestering. o_O I hope the Lady Vols' defense aggravates the he!! out of opponents this season!

I would agree with that statement and those swaps. I do feel that she needs to be held accountable for her poor FT shooting though, and we all know the best way to motivate a competitive person; sit them down. You can't have a PG at this level shooting 50% from the line. I think her shot looks much better and I hope it comes along because she looked fantastic against Presbyterian for the most part.
You are correct she is a great talent I don’t believe she should sit I feel she should not be the PG. she is very talented but free throw shooting and turnover aversion has to be high on the list for a quality PG if you want to beat teams with as much or more raw talent than we have.

VN Store

Back