'19 AL QB Taulia Tagovailoa

He'll be expected to live up to Tua's standard and ability. He will probably be a solid QB but nowhere near his brother, as far as his accomplishments.

When your brother is dominating like Tua is, you would think that he would want to go to a different place and make a name for himself. If Tue leads the tide to 3 straight national championships and then little brother takes control if he doesn't win Bama fans will crucify him. He will always be compared to his brother, just a fact. Look at Peyton and Eli.

LSU needs to do SOMETHING different at QB. This guy may be it. They should go all in after him. Use the Pacific Islander angle they already have on the roster.

Recruiting is fluid. I think our offering changes when you have JG improving weekly and with 2 more years of eligibility. Takes away that ability to compete for the job day 1 angle. That would have been our pull for him. It's no longer available. Plus we really don't have the spots for 2 HS QBs

Recruiting is fluid. I think our offering changes when you have JG improving weekly and with 2 more years of eligibility. Takes away that ability to compete for the job day 1 angle. That would have been our pull for him. It's no longer available. Plus we really don't have the spots for 2 HS QBs

Wut? Currently, we have one known quantity at QB coming back next year, and he could definitely be beaten out by a FR. We need as many QB's as it takes to find someone that can perform at a high level every week, and then we need more to make sure when he gets injured that we don't tank a season. There is nothing more important than QB, and right now we're not in good shape.

Wut? Currently, we have one known quantity at QB coming back next year, and he could definitely be beaten out by a FR. We need as many QB's as it takes to find someone that can perform at a high level every week, and then we need more to make sure when he gets injured that we don't tank a season. There is nothing more important than QB, and right now we're not in good shape.
while in general, i'll admit that's true.

in our particular case, it's not accurate.

JG stirs up a bunch of weird emotion in this fan base, and i'm not sure why?

the issues he has, he has. he needs to get better pre snap at recognizing what's going on, who's coming etc...and where from.

but after the snap, he's pretty darn good.

and no one really knows what he's being asked to do from a read or prorgression standpoint.

all that to say, O Line is the by far the biggest issue on the offense. and it's not even close as to what could be second....

the good news, if JG is as bad as so many of you think he is, we'll all get to find out together as over the next year or two, the OL will most definitely get better, as will the weapons around him.

but just for the position of QB, we're not in bad shape at all. we'll have a RS jr coming back, a RS freshmen coming back and a true freshman coming in. and i'm sure we'll get 1 or 2 QB's in the 20 cycle, 1 of which will probably be of the blue chip variety.

the issues he has, he has. he needs to get better pre snap at recognizing what's going on, who's coming etc...and where from.

and no one really knows what he's being asked to do from a read or prorgression standpoint.

all that to say, O Line is the by far the biggest issue on the offense. and it's not even close as to what could be second....

the good news, if JG is as bad as so many of you think he is, we'll all get to find out together as over the next year or two, the OL will most definitely get better, as will the weapons around him.

but just for the position of QB, we're not in bad shape at all. we'll have a RS jr coming back, a RS freshmen coming back and a true freshman coming in. and i'm sure we'll get 1 or 2 QB's in the 20 cycle, 1 of which will probably be of the blue chip variety.

Not sure any of that matters. Currently, we have no one returning next year who we would be comfortable playing if JG goes down. And even people like myself who are optimistic that JG can be a top 3 or 4 QB in the SEC next year would be stupid to think that he's already there. Maybe he'll become a great player and maybe he won't. Let's put some great prospects on our roster and see who wins. The variability in evaluating the high school to college transition is too great to take chances at the most important position.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh

What happens if JG gets hurt next year? What do we have to pick from then? JG still needs a lot of improvement and I think its funny how folks push aside in inability to run/scramble... The kid doesn't have to be Dobbs, but you were a top Dual-threat... use your damn legs behind that weak-ass line.

I'm here to tell you, if JG would start running these last three games, we may actually have a shot at pulling one or two off. He keeps standing like a statue, staring down his primary like he's in middle school and doesn't pick up the pressure, we're cooked. It's pretty simple.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
Not sure any of that matters. Currently, we have no one returning next year who we would be comfortable playing if JG goes down. And even people like myself who are optimistic that JG can be a top 3 or 4 QB in the SEC next year would be stupid to think that he's already there. Maybe he'll become a great player and maybe he won't. Let's put some great prospects on our roster and see who wins. The variability in evaluating the high school to college transition is too great to take chances at the most important position.
While I get what you're saying and agree to some degree, we have WAY to many needs to lock down more than 1 spot for a QB. DL and OL is going to take up nearly half this class alone because those are way bigger needs, then we also need some LB's and secondary help as well, so we just have to hope the coaching staff is confident and has evaluated well and gets the right guy for that QB slot.

the difference in what he is now vs. what he will be is just unknown. i don't think it's necessarily wise or accurate to think it will remain the same or get worse...at least no more wise to think he'll turn in to Peyton Manning either. it is reasonable to expect that as things around him get better, as he develops more with this offense and this system and it's coaches, that he should improve as well.

but like i said, if it goes the other way and he's no better than he is now, then at that point, i don' think there'll be any real hiding from saying JG isn't very good.

we just don't know the whole story yet. our O line is awful. we have no reliable run game. they're not asking him to take big chances, or to put the team on his shoulders and be in a "as JG goes, so goes UT" situation.
What happens if JG gets hurt next year? What do we have to pick from then? JG still needs a lot of improvement and I think its funny how folks push aside in inability to run/scramble... The kid doesn't have to be Dobbs, but you were a top Dual-threat... use your damn legs behind that weak-ass line.

I'm here to tell you, if JG would start running these last three games, we may actually have a shot at pulling one or two off. He keeps standing like a statue, staring down his primary like he's in middle school and doesn't pick up the pressure, we're cooked. It's pretty simple.
hes shown the ability to run a little bit at times this year. nothing consistent enough that it's something you have account for. agreed. but i still don't think that's THE reason he is perceived to struggle.

his struggles are from two things...he's not good enough pre snap, and the o line is just not good. we can't run the ball at all, and even when JG delivers big throws, it's usually a 1/2 second before he gets way layed.

no one knows right now what JG would be with a solid Oline and a full compliment of weapons around him.

i think we get to start finding out maybe next year.

as for the injury thing...well, that's why you have shrout...he's got a full year in, he'll get another full off season in and i'd expect he should be the #2 guy next year with Maurer the #3 as a RS if he can keep it.

if the coaches are concerned about depth, then they may decide to go grad transfer route again...i think a lot depends on how confident they are in Shrout after next spring.

Reactions: volinbama256
Biggest issues on the roster right now:

1. OL
-- POWER GAP--
2. Tight ends who can block
3. Safeties who can tackle
4. Speedy WRs
-- Big Gap--
5. QB play

the DL needs to be mentioned here somewhere too. the depth isn't there, and as of right now, we will be fielding a whole group of unknowns asid from Gooden, and he's not been asked to be "the guy" yet. the OL will be on the young side next year, but should be more talented w/who's coming (hopefully to include darnell wright). the DL on the other hand is going to be young, and as of right now, doesn't have the same infusion of top talent coming in.

So, let’s be real and talk cash...How much do we need to put together for an offering to change this young man’s mind?

I’m in for tree-fiddy.

Agreed.... DL is by far the largest concern for next year. The commitments we already have (if they stick) are making OL and LB seem a lot better already, and don't forget that we have basically everyone returning at those positions so it will only get better. I think DB is still a pretty big concern even though we found some good players there in last class. Our TE situation is pretty bad right now, so we could definitely use some help there. And QB would be my next highest concern, because so far it doesn't look like we have a gamechanger there, and I have no confidence in our depth heading into next year.

I said our pitch to taulia was compete day 1 for job before season began. No longer case. That was only chance you get him away from Bama. Safe to say JG is the starter at least the next year to start season. Sure we can take 2 QBs but this roster needs so much and Maurer is a top 10 QB in this class. Shrout is very talented. Not sure what you don't get for that.

We aren't going to pass on a stud player at another position to take a 2nd QB for anyone not named taulia and he isnt coming here. It's. It's not a strong class to take 2 in

VN Store

Back