Vol baseball approved for artificial turf in LNS

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Some NEWS: Multiple officials with & in Knoxville tell me has been approved to put artifical turf down inside Lindsey Nelson Stadium. Seven-figure project, barring any snags, could begin immediately after wrap fall baseball.
-John Brice

Thoughts?

Reactions: sport3500
-John Brice

Thoughts?

Yep. That is happening and will start right after fall practice ends from what I have heard. I like it. Fewer rain outs, more on field work for the team. Hopefully they keep the dirt mound though. Believe they will keep it.

That is cool and it would be interesting to know if LNS is the only stadium in the SEC with artificial turf.

As an old guy that loves baseball, I prefer to watch games on grass. But it’s completely understandable why teams would do this.

I’ve never played on artificial turf, but I’m told infielders get a more predictable and consistent hop from the ball.

It can only help. College baseball is during the wettest part of the year and today's turf plays almost like grass.

I remember years ago artificial turf fields like the Houston Astrodome - the ball would bounce like it was coming off a trampoline. It was ridiculous, and totally altered the game. I don't follow baseball much at all. But, I trust that the artificial turfs today play much more like dirt/grass.

Reactions: RollerVol
I remember years ago artificial turf fields like the Houston Astrodome - the ball would bounce like it was coming off a trampoline. It was ridiculous, and totally altered the game. I don't follow baseball much at all. But, I trust that the artificial turfs today play much more like dirt/grass.
They almost play too true imo. Real grass and dirt takes funny hops at times. I don't like turf.

Believe it is a good thing anywhere from TN north. All the “northern” SEC schools will now be turf...UT, Vandy, KY and Mizzou.

As an old guy that loves baseball, I prefer to watch games on grass. But it’s completely understandable why teams would do this.

I’ve never played on artificial turf, but I’m told infielders get a more predictable and consistent hop from the ball.

I hated it. Ball is much quicker on turf. And I had a routine before every pitch of smoothing out my dirt area ahead of me. Would forget and do that on turf and catch my damn cleat in the turf.

I think the program will benefit greatly from this. A lot more practice time and could create a very good home field advantage with just being used to the turf. I know the turf at Mizzou had a little bit of affect during that series last year.

2,000,000 could do many things, this just proves coach TV has the school
eating out of his hand. We just need to WIN.

Other than Ohio State, there's nothing I abhor more than watching those Regional and super Regional games on field turf fields with field turf dirt and field turf mounds. As someone else mentioned, I can't imagine baseball without the smell of the grass and the crunch of the dirt under your cleats. I don't even like it for all grass fields, like football and, but at least in those scenarios I can fathom why someone would want to do it. I hope they don't do it, or it will be a sad day.

Reactions: txbo

VN Store

Back