Trump says US will institute tariffs on steel and aluminum imports next week

Russia is selling India SU-57s but you don't see us sanctioning India.
I’d recommend we sit back and let Russia hawk that POS 5th gen fighter to whomever they can. Last I heard they had already stated it would not see mass production. And it’s coming off of a complete reengine also. I’d be more worried if they were selling SU-35’s to them.

The U.S. is the Only Improving Economy in the World Right Now, Finance Chiefs Say

The United States has a huge advantage in the still-escalating global trade fights: it is the only major economy to score an ‘improving’ score in CNBC’s latest survey of corporate executives.

The U.S. economy is viewed as “improving,” according to the latest quarterly CNBC Global CFO Council survey. China, which had been viewed as improving earlier in the year, was downgraded to just “stable.” The Eurozone, which had been viewed as “improving” for most of last year and in the first quarter of this year, entered its second quarter as merely “stable.”

MORE:
The U.S. is the Only Improving Economy in the World Right Now, Finance Chiefs Say | Breitbart

Didn't that deal predate the sanctions and they are just now getting the planes? hard to keep all that stuff straight so I could be wrong.
The SU-57 is essentially vapor ware at this point and the India deal was to aid in development cost. The SU-57 is a 5th gen fighter to offset our F-22 and to a lesser degree F/A-35. It has not materialized as a viable fieldable fighter as of yet and recently was totally reengined. Like I said earlier I’d be more worried if they were getting SU-35’s.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Because they know we'll still buy from them.
I haven't looked at the numbers lately, but I am wondering with that latest round of tariffs does the trade imbalance become more "equal"? At some point it would seem that the tariffs they impose and the ones we impose are closer in like amount. That would seem to make it easier to convince the Chinese to drop them altogether.

The SU-57 is essentially vapor ware at this point and the India deal was to aid in development cost. The SU-57 is a 5th gen fighter to offset our F-22 and to a lesser degree F/A-35. It has not materialized as a viable fieldable fighter as of yet and recently was totally reengined. Like I said earlier I’d be more worried if they were getting SU-35’s.
my point was if India made the deal before (I remember them making some big military purchase from Russia) the sanctions were in place, we would have no ground to go after them.

my point was if India made the deal before (I remember them making some big military purchase from Russia) the sanctions were in place, we would have no ground to go after them.
Yes I believe they did and yeah I think you’re right on the non sanction. I think Russia is trying to find money to put up their own metoo 5th gen fighter as thus far they have floundered in developing a viable aircraft.

Put a SU-35 in the hands of a capable Russian pilot and I’d guess they are more deadly than an Indian pilot in a F-22 or the eventual SU-57 if it ever becomes real

Didn't that deal predate the sanctions and they are just now getting the planes? hard to keep all that stuff straight so I could be wrong.

The last I heard was last week. India still wants them but the Russians are still having problems with it to the point to where they are considering scraping the program and just upgradeding it’s fourth-generation fighters. India has pulled out and gone back into the deal twice.

I haven't looked at the numbers lately, but I am wondering with that latest round of tariffs does the trade imbalance become more "equal"? At some point it would seem that the tariffs they impose and the ones we impose are closer in like amount. That would seem to make it easier to convince the Chinese to drop them altogether.
I'm sure financials are trending that direction, but the actual trade deficit likely hasn't moved much.

Here's the deal. We buy a whole lot of their stuff for cheap. They buy significantly less of our stuff, and it's more expensive. Tariffs will bring more money into the respective governments by making consumers pay more. This affects both sides. We can probably hike the numbers higher than China, but at the end of the day, we'll still be buying more from them than they from us. So, the consumers on each side just end up paying more for goods, while the governments pocket the tariffs. It's taxation by a different name. Should help offset the tax cuts somewhat, since Washington doesn't seem to want to cut spending. More of the same.

The last I heard was last week. India still wants them but the Russians are still having problems with it to the point to where they are considering scraping the program and just upgradeding it’s fourth-generation fighters. India has pulled out and gone back into the deal twice.
ah, not sure how that should effect sanction/no sanction.

I'm sure financials are trending that direction, but the actual trade deficit likely hasn't moved much.

Here's the deal. We buy a whole lot of their stuff for cheap. They buy significantly less of our stuff, and it's more expensive. Tariffs will bring more money into the respective governments by making consumers pay more. This affects both sides. We can probably hike the numbers higher than China, but at the end of the day, we'll still be buying more from them than they from us. So, the consumers on each side just end up paying more for goods, while the governments pocket the tariffs. It's taxation by a different name. Should help offset the tax cuts somewhat, since Washington doesn't seem to want to cut spending. More of the same.
So the bottom line question is this: Who needs who more?

I see little downside. The cheap, tchotchke dependant businesses like Walmart might be adversely affected, but if critical manufacturing and the related CapEx investments and jobs return to US based operations then I see it as a net positive. Also, IMO value added is a better source of government revenue than higher income taxes.

Reactions: 0nelilreb
So the bottom line question is this: Who needs who more?
Mutually dependent. We need their stuff, and they need us to buy it. It's not like we're suddenly going to secure other sources, let alone produce it all ourselves. This dependence has been decades in the making. Some bluster and tariffs aren't going to change that.

Mutually dependent. We need their stuff, and they need us to buy it. It's not like we're suddenly going to secure other sources, let alone produce it all ourselves. This dependence has been decades in the making. Some bluster and tariffs aren't going to change that.
There are other nations we can buy more from but we're not going to make up much.

I agree mostly except for the word “ Need” I’d recplace that with “ Want” . If you need something you’ll pay whatever , if you want something well then you have to decide how bad you want it . Just for example : if my plastic Razor went up in cost 25 cents , what will I do ? Pay it and not blink , b*tch and cuss Trump and pay it , or use my old razor for another week before I buy the new one ?

There are other nations we can buy more from but we're not going to make up much.

There is something as Americans we can do that everybody can get behind , buy less cheap made disposable items , use what we have longer before replacing . China’s economy was built on disposable goods made to break or wear out .

Last edited:

VN Store

Back