Players getting cut

Opened this thinking it was a football thread expecting a tastyyyy set of comments.. darn

Unless I’m mistaken, that requires removing scholarships. So if we were to do that then we wouldn’t have enough left to even field a team. Seems counterproductive to me. I see benching players as a more viable option instead of “cutting” them out of a scholarship. JMO

Unless I’m mistaken, that requires removing scholarships. So if we were to do that then we wouldn’t have enough left to even field a team. Seems counterproductive to me. I see benching players as a more viable option instead of “cutting” them out of a scholarship. JMO
They are fine on scholarships. The total number currently competing at camp has a lot of walk ons.

Reactions: supersmo18
You do realize the OP is talking about baseball right? There are several walking each year that are allowed to come to camp and compete to try and earn a spot. The sad truth is some don’t make the cut.

Reactions: RollerVol
Yes, I was confused in my thought, he explained it, I gave him a like and had nothing else to say.

Only 35 can be active on roster as an NCAA rule.

You can’t redshirt 14 players. You can’t just bench them.

The only way to get rid of them release / cut.
Yeah I phrased that wrong they can’t be on the actual roster and participate in practice. They can do things on there own and give it a go the year after for non scholarship guys. Will be a competitive fall that’s for sure.

These players that you say will sit out.

What did coaches say to these young men to get them to come to Tennessee and maybe make the team. Maybe they could be at Tennessee Tech playing everyday.

Please explain.

What did coaches say to these young men to get them to come to Tennessee and maybe make the team. Maybe they could be at Tennessee Tech playing everyday.

Please explain.
Guy's, my son is a 2021 player from the midwest and had an unofficial visit this past March. In fact we we're fortunate enough to have 8 of these. Our Tennessee visit was in fact our families favorite. The coaches took us around campus, met individually with each position coach and watched a game. The next day we got to meet with coach V for 1:30 in the conference room. A 2021 kid whom he never meet and he gave us that much time! My wife asked coach V point blank we see how many verbals you have for the 2019's/2020's. Where do they all play in? Coach V said "We don't have the talent that we need right now to compete the way we expect so for the next few season we will probably take on more than we need to we get to that point." As for cutting players he said "I don't think I could look myself in the mirror the next day if I did that assuming they were taking care of everything in the classroom and working their tail off on the field!"

Now take that for what its worth. We ended up going another direction but the visit will always stick in our heads as to how they lay out the red carpet. I believe in the very near future Tennessee will be playing for SEC championships and more. My wife and I just didn't want our child accepting a scholarship then having any the worry of being cut due to numbers or not living up to their standards.

Lastly, I look at all the verbals they seem to get in each week. Don't the parents of those players look into this also?? There is NO way the roster numbers workout.

That said, we loved the university, coaching staff and baseball facilities...Do we have second thoughts... Daily, only time will tell.

Please explain.
I didn’t say players will sit out. I said they would have the option to if they so choose. CTV didn’t recruit close to 20 players on this current roster. So he didn’t tell them anything. I can tell you one thing what you see is what you get with CTV. He is very transparent and tells it how it is. Lots of these kids are walk-ons and he probably promised a chance to compete for a roster spot. Who knows maybe they were on scholarship and it got taken away and they chose to stay on as a walk-on? I’m not saying that happened just speculating. This isn’t little league where everyone plays and makes the team. This is SEC Baseball and this goes on in every program. Goes on in Football as well. I have to imagine Coach Pruitt will have some conversations with some guys that will lead to them transferring as well.

Guy's, my son is a 2021 player from the midwest and had an unofficial visit this past March. In fact we we're fortunate enough to have 8 of these. Our Tennessee visit was in fact our families favorite. The coaches took us around campus, met individually with each position coach and watched a game. The next day we got to meet with coach V for 1:30 in the conference room. A 2021 kid whom he never meet and he gave us that much time! My wife asked coach V point blank we see how many verbals you have for the 2019's/2020's. Where do they all play in? Coach V said "We don't have the talent that we need right now to compete the way we expect so for the next few season we will probably take on more than we need to we get to that point." As for cutting players he said "I don't think I could look myself in the mirror the next day if I did that assuming they were taking care of everything in the classroom and working their tail off on the field!"

Now take that for what its worth. We ended up going another direction but the visit will always stick in our heads as to how they lay out the red carpet. I believe in the very near future Tennessee will be playing for SEC championships and more. My wife and I just didn't want our child accepting a scholarship then having any the worry of being cut due to numbers or not living up to their standards.

Lastly, I look at all the verbals they seem to get in each week. Don't the parents of those players look into this also?? There is NO way the roster numbers workout.

That said, we loved the university, coaching staff and baseball facilities...Do we have second thoughts... Daily, only time will tell.
Thanks for the insight and your post. One thing I will add most programs do cut people or reduce scholarships if they don’t produce. It’s the unfortunate part of the 11.7. It definitely needs to be increased and I don’t think we would have this problem. Best of luck to your son he sounds like a hell of a talent to have these options so early as a 21 kid.

Vol Fan, you are absolutely correct major difference on how the SEC recruits versus the Big 10. Big 10 isn't allowed to over recruit hence you will see class sizes of 7-12 not 18-22. We heard more "come your 3rd year if your still here and not drafted then we didn't do our job" in the SEC and "we have 500 or 600K alumni to help you find a job after you graduate" from the Big Ten. Kent State coach actually put his hand up and said "I guarantee my scholarships for 5 years!" These are the decisions players and parents have to figure out. CVT and Elander are the hardest working coaches I've seen on the recruiting trail. Vol fans your in for a great ride!! Best of luck.

Counting Against the Roster
  1. Division I baseball teams are allowed to give at least some athletic scholarship money to up to 27 players, who are called "counters" in college athletics. These teams are allowed to have 35 players on the roster. Redshirt players receiving any level of athletic scholarship count against both numbers.

This from the NCAA Rules. If a player is on scholarship, he counts against the 35 man roster whether he is redshirted or not.

If a player is hurt during fall practice and will miss the entire spring season they can remain on the roster and not count against the 35 player limit. Just an FYI. So you can have over 35.

VN Store

Back