Bad hire

My view is that 90 percent of the problems are on the offensive side of the ball. We'll see if Pruitt has any ability to get this fixed. I am sure he did not see this coming and no one really knows how he is feeling about Helton's performance. I am sure the OL performance has caught his attention through the first three games probably didn't expect them to be this bad either. I'll give him the next four weeks to show us he can coach through the huge problems the offense is having. This will be the determining factor as of his ability to be a head coach. He has to totally be able to change what is happening on the offensive side of the ball.
Defense not perfect but certainly well ahead of where the offense is. They did a good job last night when given a chance. Well over half the points Florida scored is on the offense.
Were going to lose the next four games don't have the talent to compete. The huge factor will be being competent offensively. Being able to snap the ball, block enough to give the QB a chance, better decision making all will be a test of his ability to improve what is broken. If he fails then we can be assured that he is not the guy to coach us out of where we are.

Reactions: sami
That's a fair argument. But the "we have no talent" folks sre deluding themselves.
No, there is talent there but these guys were never developed. This team is mentally weak and Sapp is a prime example of that. I do like the young talent on this team but it's going to take 2 recruiting cycles to get Butch Jones funk off of this program. As far as the current players on this team that were recruited by the previous regime I can't help but to think they are officially on notice.

Strategy on 4th down can change when you have about 50 more plays in the playbook than Neyland had

No, that is pretty irrelevant. What play is used is irrelevant, we should have been punting and resetting the game. Not feeding the flames.

But you're right we have 50 more plays than Neyland did. And the defenses are stuck in 1939 that we are running them against.

Even with the baggage, Petrino would be one of our best chances to see a relatively quick turnaround. He can coach.

Are we looking for a 'quick turnaround' or building a lasting foundation? Both would be nice, and as hard as it is to say after enduring Jones and Dooley, I'm willing to give Pruitt three years before starting to judge him a success or failure. He inherited an empty cupboard with regard to top level SEC talent, regardless what people think.

If just one player had bulldozed Perine on the onsides kick like they were supposed to, it would have worked like a charm. It's like people think Pruitt and staff go out every week in practice and tell people:

"Hey OL, miss that block and get your QB murdered" or

"Hey 4-star LB, act like a 2-star MAC LB and then quit on your team because you don't want to fight anymore."

My view is that 90 percent of the problems are on the offensive side of the ball. We'll see if Pruitt has any ability to get this fixed. I am sure he did not see this coming and no one really knows how he is feeling about Helton's performance. I am sure the OL performance has caught his attention through the first three games probably didn't expect them to be this bad either. I'll give him the next four weeks to show us he can coach through the huge problems the offense is having. This will be the determining factor as of his ability to be a head coach. He has to totally be able to change what is happening on the offensive side of the ball.
Defense not perfect but certainly well ahead of where the offense is. They did a good job last night when given a chance. Well over half the points Florida scored is on the offense.
Were going to lose the next four games don't have the talent to compete. The huge factor will be being competent offensively. Being able to snap the ball, block enough to give the QB a chance, better decision making all will be a test of his ability to improve what is broken. If he fails then we can be assured that he is not the guy to coach us out of where we are.

Agreed. The W-L record is largely irrelevant this year at this point, but showing improvement in the quality of play has to happen. I'm willing to look beyond four weeks only because of the buzzsaw in front of us, but reducing the unforced errors and making teams actually beat us instead of beating ourselves is mandatory.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
The reason he was upset was on many of the plays the play would have worked fine, and the players were in position, but dropped passes, missed tackles and assignments, and turned the ball over. The onside kick was a perfect call and like he said in the presser, there was a player supposed to block the player that caught it, but instead tried to catch the ball and didnt cover his man. Both 4th down plays were good calls and one was a drop and one was a fumble after a big gain. Some of the play calling in the game was odd, but thats expected from a first year head coach, but many of the mistakes were just untimely and unlucky misteps by players who had a chance in the play. I dont blame him one bit for going for it. In fact, you could hear the stadium booing everytime they did something conservative like a field goal or punt. We all hated butch for not trying anything but punt and now you all are mad because he went for it and tried to get back in it?

I'll give him the next four weeks to show us he can coach through the huge problems the offense is having. This will be the determining factor as of his ability to be a head coach. He has to totally be able to change what is happening on the offensive side of the ball.

The next 4 games will be some of the worst football this fanbase has ever seen. I thought last season was the floor and there was no way it was going to be worse but apparently Pruitt's staff and the players said hold my beer.

Reactions: photovol
Making a post on an existing thread is one thing, starting a thread because you think your random thought is so profound is another level of stupid.

I bet Freak has to invest hours merging random complaining threads.

Reactions: T_Vol376
No, there is talent there but these guys were never developed. This team is mentally weak and Sapp is a prime example of that. I do like the young talent on this team but it's going to take 2 recruiting cycles to get Butch Jones funk off of this program. As far as the current players on this team that were recruited by the previous regime I can't help but to think they are officially on notice.
With the cluster last night i didn't watch the DBs. Are those youngsters still improving?

Reactions: Samuellbronkowitz
Two 4th down tries and a ridiculous on-side kick in the SECOND QUARTER....were desperation signals to the team that their coach was out of answers and had essentially thrown his playbook away and given up. A more mature experienced coach would have called the team together...called for calm, not PANIC, and let the boys just go out and play football.
I don't know where you go from here, but this guy isn't showing much coaching. Basic, fundamental football coaching to avoid give-aways would have kept this game a whole lot closer. Fundamentals count, regardless of who your opponent is. Florida sucks. They're not a competitive SEC team any more than we are.
That said, when you HAND THEM 24 points, and your head coach panics and QUITS...not only will you not win...you're going to be embarrassed....A LOT.
Jeremy Banks needs to wake up Monday morning and start looking for another place to play before he gets killed.
I'm willing to give Pruitt a lot of time to recruit and coach his own players and show that despite his own inexperience as head coach, that just maybe he has the makings of becoming a good one so far..I'm not seeing it.
This is ridiculous. It's refreshing to see a coach willing to make that call and if anything else that was a vote of confidence in his football team. I'm glad Sapp was sent packing at half time or whenever it was as well, if you aren't bought in pack it up and call it a career at Tennessee and go elsewhere. Whether some think it is or not, this is exactly what we need. Maybe we are a little further off than what some of us thought(myself included) but this is what happens when you try to change the culture somewhere.

Fisher loses by 1 to Clemson and loses to Bammer, so that puts him on a list of coaches who are underachieving.

“Logic”

“Reason”

Fisher didn't inherit quite the mess that Pruitt did, and is in an easier place to recruit to. He is a national championship winning coach - comparing him to Pruitt is silly. The point is, to expect a 'quick turnaround' here is insane given the cancerous state of this program - yeah, there might be some talent, but changing the mindset and the bad habits will take time, especially with a brand new system.

Fisher didn't inherit quite the mess that Pruitt did, and is in an easier place to recruit to. He is a national championship winning coach - comparing him to Pruitt is silly. The point is, to expect a 'quick turnaround' here is insane given the cancerous state of this program - yeah, there might be some talent, but changing the mindset and the bad habits will take time, especially with a brand new system.

Then he shouldn’t be used as an example.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
4th down plays were fine, hell of ot wasnt for ole Pope fumbling we would have probably kicked a FG and the onsode kick was PERFECT. Great time for the call, perfect kick, three orange jerseys standing flat footed while the kne florida guy grabs it.

I actually think those calls were a sign of a coach believing in his players enough to give them opportunities to make a play. Or at least willing to find out which players on the roster will meet the challenge. If I’m a player, my coach making aggressive calls puts the onus on me to execute. Personally, I loved the calls. We were getting hit in the mouth and Pruitt was giving our guys every chance to hit back. I saw what felt like a curse of bad luck combined with poor execution. Regardless I love our Vols and will support them all my days.

This is easy:
Fisher - National Title Winner
Frost - National Title Winner*
Kelly - 3-time PAC 12 winner
NFL Playoffs
Taggart - I still don’t know who this dude is, but he has experience...but... Do not hire
Morris - he suck = they suck. Do not hire
Sumlin - 88-45 all time record. Has beaten Bammer. Has smoked us.
Gruden - Super Bowl Winner. Tease

Pruitt - freaking...high...school...coach

I’m other words, the guys with success in their prior stops have earned a little more respect/time than the freaking high school coach.

Chip Kelly’s off to a rough start, but he’ll get them rolling.
Fisher’s not a good example. They gave Clemson all they could handle and got beat by the best team in the league. No shame in that.

so youngive him 4 games before burning the whole school down?

No, that is pretty irrelevant. What play is used is irrelevant, we should have been punting and resetting the game. Not feeding the flames.

But you're right we have 50 more plays than Neyland did. And the defenses are stuck in 1939 that we are running them against.

The advantage is with the offense when it’s 4th and 5 or less in your opponent’s territory. That’s a fact. I have no problem with Pruitt going for it. Don’t think he was “overwhelmed” by the situation. Pretty sure he was in some high stakes situations as the DC at a program that routinely plays for the natty

VN Store

Back