Bad hire

The sad fact is based on what we've seen so far...we are no better off with Pruitt than we were with Butch. In fact...we are WORSE. Butch never lost to Florida like this. This was a catastrophic debut by Pruitt. Very revealing. Pruitt brought an unprepared, badly coached team to the party today. Even the basic fundamentals are lacking miserably. Pruitt is obviously out of his league...so here we go....AGAIN. Pruitt should be ashamed for presenting the Vol, faithful with this kind of embarrassing, humiliating beatdown. We'd be better off and save a ton of humiliation if we just forfeited the rest of the season. Of course that won't happen in real life...but the beatdowns that are coming are gonna be so humiliating everyone is gonna wish we DID forfeit. This is frightening...and will most likely be unprecedented when it's all said and done.

Let's look at the results so far for some other newly hired coaches:

Texas A+M - Jimbo Fisher: 2-2 (0-1 SEC)

Nebraska - Scott Frost: 0-3

UCLA - Chip Kelly: 0-3

Florida State - Willie Taggart 2-2 (0-2 ACC)

Arkansas - Chad Morris 1-3 (0-1 SEC)

Arizona - Kevin Sumlin 2-2 (1-0 PAC12)

And one NFL team just because:
Oakland Raiders - Jon Gruden 0-2

4 of the coaches above were high on the list of many people on this site and their results don't look any better than CJP. Remember that most of these postions come open because a team has had some bad seasons. It's not like CJP showed up to a disciplined and loaded team with on field leaders. I think we saw both some good and poor coaching decisions tonight, but I liked that CJP was willing to take some chances (onside kick, 4th down attempts). Pruitt may turn out to be a bad hire, but lets give him some time and hope that once he has his own players on the field we start winning and he's our coach for a long time. Who would want to go through another coaching search? Do you think people will be knocking down the door to come here to be the 5th coach in 10 years? This is going to be another hard year to be a UT fan, but lets not start burning mattresses just yet.

The team was unprepared and overmatched tonight. We, simply put, were not ready for Florida, and that is on the coaching staff. When CJP was hired the base assumed that his previous successes would guarantee excellence here in team prep, player motivation, and flawless gameday execution. However, the rank buffoonery that was on display tonight was an embarrassment to our program that exceeds the worst antics of CBJ or the benign ineptitude of Bill Battle. Nobody expected miracles, but THIS?! I expect Phillip Fulmer was as suprised as most of us are incredulous.

The team was unprepared and overmatched tonight. We, simply put, were not ready for Florida, and that is on the coaching staff. When CJP was hired the base assumed that his previous successes would guarantee excellence here in team prep, player motivation, and flawless gameday execution. However, the rank buffoonery that was on display tonight was an embarrassment to our program that exceeds the worst antics of CBJ or the benign ineptitude of Bill Battle. Nobody expected miracles, but THIS?! I expect Phillip Fulmer was as suprised as most of us are incredulous.

I am sure Fulmer is surprised. To see how dumb this fan base can actually be.

4 of the coaches above were high on the list of many people on this site and their results don't look any better than CJP. Remember that most of these postions come open because a team has had some bad seasons. It's not like CJP showed up to a disciplined and loaded team with on field leaders. I think we saw both some good and poor coaching decisions tonight, but I liked that CJP was willing to take some chances (onside kick, 4th down attempts). Pruitt may turn out to be a bad hire, but lets give him some time and hope that once he has his own players on the field we start winning and he's our coach for a long time. Who would want to go through another coaching search? Do you think people will be knocking down the door to come here to be the 5th coach in 10 years? This is going to be another hard year to be a UT fan, but lets not start burning mattresses just yet.
I want to believe what you are saying because if we do have to fire another coach within the next 3 years, we might as well just discontinue our program. With that said, after 4 games I am very skeptical about Pruitt. He and his staff sure look to be over the heads IMO. We come out every game falt as a pancake, kick a field goal on 4th and 2 when we're down 30-3 ( very Butch Jones there), our play calling is pathetic and we make a lot of stupid mistakes. Getting ready to endure the worst season in the history of Vol football after we go 3-9. Going to make it even more difficult to recruit. Everyone that's still a fan better wear your cup because it's going to be like getting kicked in the ....

We as fans can't continue to blame every coach that comes here. At some point the players need to take responsibility for their own play. Now we have had some bad coaching but coaches don't block tackle or cover. We need to really accept the fact that these guys aren't very talented.
Our talent is on par with UF.

Conveniently left off Dan Mullen at 3-1

Two 4th down tries and a ridiculous on-side kick in the SECOND QUARTER....were desperation signals to the team that their coach was out of answers and had essentially thrown his playbook away and given up. A more mature experienced coach would have called the team together...called for calm, not PANIC, and let the boys just go out and play football.
I don't know where you go from here, but this guy isn't showing much coaching. Basic, fundamental football coaching to avoid give-aways would have kept this game a whole lot closer. Fundamentals count, regardless of who your opponent is. Florida sucks. They're not a competitive SEC team any more than we are.
That said, when you HAND THEM 24 points, and your head coach panics and QUITS...not only will you not win...you're going to be embarrassed....A LOT.
Jeremy Banks needs to wake up Monday morning and start looking for another place to play before he gets killed.
I'm willing to give Pruitt a lot of time to recruit and coach his own players and show that despite his own inexperience as head coach, that just maybe he has the makings of becoming a good one so far..I'm not seeing it.

VN Store

Back