Do we see more 4 man defensive fronts this week?

TrueVolsGBOInsider

It was said earlier in the week that Emmett Gooden was practicing in a 4 man look with Tuttle, Johnson, and Phillips this week. I for one think adding Gooden could help with our pass rushing problems if we decide to run this 4 man fronT. Does everybody think this is a good idea?? Or are there folks on VN who don’t like this idea?

Doug Mathews has made the comment that we’ve gone to a four man front with the OLB coming up to be an end, in Darrell Taylor and Kongbo. But they still aren’t getting any pressure.

We are running mostly a 4 man front now....can’t get pressure with it...

I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens. On the other hand the talent level/depth issues make it risky to sustain.

Increasing chances of injury by putting your “2’s” on the field with your “1’s” just seems an avoidable risk at this point in the program. Vols have little depth on the line as it is.

But then again, I ain’t no coach, never have been. Just a fan with a plan and my only plan is to enjoy as much UT football as possible in the allotted time... and occasionally post here showing my complete ignorance.

Beer is good, mmmkay

It was said earlier in the week that Emmett Gooden was practicing in a 4 man look with Tuttle, Johnson, and Phillips this week. I for one think adding Gooden could help with our pass rushing problems if we decide to run this 4 man fronT. Does everybody think this is a good idea?? Or are there folks on VN who don’t like this idea?

We’re never gonna be able to get to the qb this year with Kongbo and Taylor on the edges. So, with the way Gooden pushed the pocket vs ETSU and with how well Tuttle has played so far this season, get em both on the field in a 4-man front to try and collapse the pocket from the interior/up the middle imo.

The Vols run a 4 man front now so there will be no change. We can't get enough push with the 4 we put out there now so how do you think we could go to 3 man front?

Reactions: savannahfan
I feel like all we have really seen is a four man front. Regardless of what a coach says the base package is, a 4-2 nickel is the most commonly used package.

I feel like all we have really seen is a four man front. Regardless of what a coach says the base package is, a 4-2 nickel is the most commonly used package.
I agree. It's just a matter of whether you call the last guy on the strong side of the LOS a DE or a LB.

Reactions: fossilfiction
Our base defense is 3-4 but because of what most offenses run and base out of today we play much more nickel and dime than 3-4. Georgia runs a ton of Mint (3-4 look but with nickel personnel) against 11 personnel. Bama and UT will also run this some.

We’re never gonna be able to get to the qb this year with Kongbo and Taylor on the edges. So, with the way Gooden pushed the pocket vs ETSU and with how well Tuttle has played so far this season, get em both on the field in a 4-man front to try and collapse the pocket from the interior/up the middle imo.

Not a good idea since the QB we are about to play leads their team in rushing. Last thing we need is this dude outside our DE's all day. Chasing him around and then him dunking it off to a slot guy for 8-12 yards.........

Reactions: walkenvol
Not a good idea since the QB we are about to play leads their team in rushing. Last thing we need is this dude outside our DE's all day. Chasing him around and then him dunking it off to a slot guy for 8-12 yards.........
I am not at all worried about this. UTEP is 0-2 with loses to the mighty North Arizona Lumberjacks and UNLV. This will be an ass kicking like ETSU no matter what defense we use the most.

Reactions: 08Vol and FBtime
The pass rush reminds me of the NCAA Football video game when you start career mode with a weak team. Blitzes don't really work. Just have to try and prevent the huge plays and hold the opposition to more field goals than TD's, aka bend but don't break.

The pass rush reminds me of the NCAA Football video game when you start career mode with a weak team. Blitzes don't really work. Just have to try and prevent the huge plays and hold the opposition to more field goals than TD's, aka bend but don't break.
Man, huge nostalgia.

That game was interesting. When I started with a weak team I could always score points no matter who the offense was, but I couldn't stop anybody until I got a couple good recruiting classes.

Reactions: VOLinPD
The Vols run a 4 man front now so there will be no change. We can't get enough push with the 4 we put out there now so how do you think we could go to 3 man front?

Cause I’m talking about going to 4 down lineman, not an OLB who’s standin on the edge. Basically using more 4-3 looks to get our best players in the field. Put sapp, Bituli, and Kirkland as our LBs. then put tuttle and Gooden on the inside of the d line, and put Johnson and Phillips on The outside of the d line and see what happens.

No. That’s a great run stopping look. But none of those guys have speed off the edge to get to QB.

Well, K. Phillips has some speed but nothing to brag about. But I get where your coming from, that could be legitimate problem with this lineup. I really wish Emerson coour get some reps to see what he can do cause i feel like he could be a beast coming off the edge. He’s been non stop existent so far though so that won’t happen.

Well, K. Phillips has some speed but nothing to brag about. But I get where your coming from, that could be legitimate problem with this lineup. I really wish Emerson coour get some reps to see what he can do cause i feel like he could be a beast coming off the edge. He’s been non stop existent so far though so that won’t happen.
Kongbo supposedly has great speed and quickness. I've never seen it though. The thing about Phillips and Kongbo, and McKenzie too when he was here, isn't that they are terrible. It's that an opposing offense doesn't have to account for them in any special way. They aren't getting blown off the ball every play, but if an opposing offense puts a hat on their hat, boom, they are blocked and taken out of the play. Easy enough. None of those guys are play makers or difference-makers. I could understand it if they were all 3-star recruits, undersized, or lacked athleticism. But they don't. What makes defensive linemen special players are the fact that they have to be specially accounted for by an opposing offense, which makes it easier for other guys on your defense to make plays, and even though they might be specially accounted for they are still going to make plays.

I looked it up the other day and saw where Kongbo and Phillips, combined over each of their Tennessee careers, have 6.5 sacks. This is over 6+ seasons. That is a mind-bogglingly low number given how highly touted and recruited they were.

Kongbo supposedly has great speed and quickness. I've never seen it though. The thing about Phillips and Kongbo, and McKenzie too when he was here, isn't that they are terrible. It's that an opposing offense doesn't have to account for them in any special way. They aren't getting blown off the ball every play, but if an opposing offense puts a hat on their hat, boom, they are blocked and taken out of the play. Easy enough. None of those guys are play makers or difference-makers. I could understand it if they were all 3-star recruits, undersized, or lacked athleticism. But they don't. What makes defensive linemen special players are the fact that they have to be specially accounted for by an opposing offense, which makes it easier for other guys on your defense to make plays, and even though they might be specially accounted for they are still going to make plays.

I looked it up the other day and saw where Kongbo and Phillips, combined over each of their Tennessee careers, have 6.5 sacks. This is over 6+ seasons. That is a mind-bogglingly low number given how highly touted and recruited they were.
Point well made.

VN Store

Back