New Trey Smith Article (had blood clots) [Cleared to play]

mrmax86

Fight. Strain. Compete.
Exclusive Article by Chris Low

Vols' Smith: Cleared to play after blood clots

Never saw anyone come out and say that it was blood clots on his lungs, that's certainly scary, and I'm glad he's going to be okay, and able to give his all for Tennessee!

Some excerpts from the article:
The 6-6, 335-pound Smith, who was ESPN's No. 1 overall prospect in the 2017 signing class, remains on anticoagulants and will be held out of contact until he comes off that medication sometime during preseason camp, according to Dr. Chris Klenck, Tennessee's team physician. Klenck said the latest scans on Smith did not reveal any clots, but emphasized that Smith would continue to be closely monitored.

"He's been cleared to do conditioning and drills as long as it's non-contact, and probably about mid-August and sometime before the first game, he will be off the anticoagulants and able to resume contact," Klenck said. "There's always a risk of a new blood clot forming. There is no scenario where the risk is zero percent. There's still a chance. You just have to be vigilant of signs and symptoms of blood clots.

"If he couldn't do it in a safe way, he wouldn't be going back onto that field," Henry Smith said. "But after the treatment he's gone through and the recuperation his body has gone through, he's in good condition. The clots are gone and there are no signs of them."

Pruitt cautioned that it would be unfair to expect too much too soon from Smith, considering everything he's endured. The plan is to keep Smith on the left side of the line, either at left tackle or left guard. He was the first true freshman at Tennessee in more than 30 years to start a game at left tackle last season and played every position on the line but center.

Last edited:
WHEW! Happy for Trey that he is OK!!!

Also, Happy for VOLS cause we need him Badly!!!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Smith is a baller who deserves to have a healthy career.

Great news indeed!

Woo pulmonary embolism... scary stuff

like a time bomb. It's what took my Mom. When that takes you down, you can have the best code team in the world right in your room, and it won't make a lick of difference. When the roll is called up yonder, you'll be there.

Wish I had known that was what was going on. I would have been praying harder.

All the best to you,Mr.Smith,take care.The staff and volnation are behind you.If you seek other people with a clotting problem,Tommy Frazier,who played at Nebraska,had clots in his legs.Again,best of luck this season and beyond.

My thoughts as I read it. I don't know. I wouldn't think so or they wouldn't let him, but I have no clue. I'll just hope for the best and trust they all know what they're doing.
With him being a student athlete, he will be checked daily. If he is able to keep playing, he will have NFL money for the best care there is.

As long as the impact doesn't cause any issues, football may actually be his best bet.
Still gonna worry about him though, just want him to be healthy, fb or not.

Reactions: Behr and VFL-82-JP
So is this basically the same thing that ended Chris Bosh's career? Either way, this makes me really nervous.

wow, glad they caught it and he is ok.

I wouldn't imagine that football/exercise makes this any more likely does it?
ACtually exercise should lower the chance of happening. Pooling / stagnant blood clots ... think blood clots in lower legs after long plane ride. Why you should pump your calves and or walk around mid flight.

That enough for the “believe it when I see it” crowd...and Deerpark?
Is it enough for you? Trey will be constantly monitored and rechecked. This is a serious health issue that isn't over but being treated and monitored.

If anything this verifies the legitimate concerns and sheds light on the fake "cleared" reports, and that his return was ABSOLUTELY in question.

It was, in fact, a clotting condition. In fact, i stated this months ago and I'm pretty sure you were on here questioning that. I do recall being berated on here for mentioning that it was a clotting issue and told I didn't know anything.

Thanks for taking this opportunity to celebrate Trey and making it all about you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tremendous news for the team, but even better for Trey and his family. Very serious and scary thing to have hovering.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back