The Official 2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

So Griezmann doesn't get credit for his penalty kick or his free kick that was such a dangerous ball that it went in the net?

I was looking at player grades and Pogba got a 9, so he arguably should have won man of the match, but Griezmann got an 8. Not sure what game you guys are watching. Griezmann was graded an 8 in the last 4 games of the tourney.

Nobody is saying he doesn't get get credit for that. But you made it sound like he was making plays with the ball during the actual game play. And the truth was he wasn't. Most of the plays were being made by Pogba and Mbappe. And that is why its a joke they weren't named man of the match. Set pieces are great but its making plays during the flow of the game that sare the most difficult. Its what separates the good from the great.

That is why it was laughable for you to suggest Griezmman was their best player. He doesn't impact the game like Pogba, Mbappe, and Kante do during the flow of play.

Nobody is saying he doesn't get get credit for that. But you made it sound like he was making plays with the ball during the actual game play. And the truth was he wasn't. Most of the plays were being made by Pogba and Mbappe. And that is why its a joke they weren't named man of the match. Set pieces are great but its making plays during the flow of the game that sare the most difficult. Its what separates the good from the great.

That is why it was laughable for you to suggest Griezmman was their best player. He doesn't impact the game like Pogba, Mbappe, and Kante do during the flow of play.

Is there any sport you aren't an expert in?

Reactions: LittleCat

I'm not saying he was their best player in the tournament. There are about 4 guys you could make that case for (including Griezmann). What I'm saying is going into the tournament, literally everybody would have said he's their best player. Now Mbappe is in the convo. You think it's laughable, but you started following soccer just last week when you found out you could turn this into a conversation about race.

He got the most attention from the D, he had the most pressure on him as the leader of the team, and he played great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I'm not saying he was their best player in the tournament. There are about 4 guys you could make that case for (including Griezmann). What I'm saying is going into the tournament, literally everybody would have said he's their best player. Now Mbappe is in the convo. You think it's laughable, but you started following soccer just last week when you found out you could turn this into a conversation about race.

He got the most attention from the D, he had the most pressure on him as the leader of the team, and he played great.

No. There is no argument that can be made for Griezmann being in the same class as Pogba, Kante, and Mbappe. Zero. Those guys are head and shoulders better than him. And I'll prove it with one simple exercise. The French team could lose Greizmann for the entire World Cup and not miss a beat. How come? They have guy on the bench (Ousmane Dembele) that can do everything Greizmann can do and then some. You can't say that about Pogba, Mbappe, or Kanye. They are each elite unique players that France would have zero chance of winning the world cup without. When you are a luxury, how can you be anywhere near the best player on the team?

With regard to what other people think: who cares? There is bias against black athletes by white fans in every sport. So the fact most white fans would point to Greizmann as the best player is irrelevant. Instead cite skills and abilities that show Greizmann is better than Pogba, Mbappe, and Kante. The answer is you can't. Greizmann is not as important to the team or better than them. PERIOD.

And LOL at Greizmann getting the most attention from the opposing defense. That is laughably. Mbappe was the one defenses feared the most. He was the one getting double and triple teamed. He's the one whose speed had everyone backing off. The fact you said that statement is laughable. Once again Greizmann didn't score a single quality goal from open play. His goals were the result of penalties won by Mbappe as well as a goal keeping error by the Uruguay keeper.

Greizmann was IRRELEVANT to France's world cup success. They would have won just as easily with Dembele starting in his place.

No. There is no argument that can be made for Griezmann being in the same class as Pogba, Kante, and Mbappe. Zero. Those guys are head and shoulders better than him. And I'll prove it with one simple exercise. The French team could lose Greizmann for the entire World Cup and not miss a beat. How come? They have guy on the bench (Ousmane Dembele) that can do everything Greizmann can do and then some.

I'll stop reading right there. Your point is that he's not in the same class as them because his backup is really good. That's non-sequitur BS. This statement in no way establishes how good Griezmann is, it only establishes how good his backup is.

No. There is no argument that can be made for Griezmann being in the same class as Pogba, Kante, and Mbappe. Zero. Those guys are head and shoulders better than him. And I'll prove it with one simple exercise. The French team could lose Greizmann for the entire World Cup and not miss a beat. How come? They have guy on the bench (Ousmane Dembele) that can do everything Greizmann can do and then some. You can't say that about Pogba, Mbappe, or Kanye. They are each elite unique players that France would have zero chance of winning the world cup without. When you are a luxury, how can you be anywhere near the best player on the team?

With regard to what other people think: who cares? There is bias against black athletes by white fans in every sport. So the fact most white fans would point to Greizmann as the best player is irrelevant. Instead cite skills and abilities that show Greizmann is better than Pogba, Mbappe, and Kante. The answer is you can't. Greizmann is not as important to the team or better than them. PERIOD.

And LOL at Greizmann getting the most attention from the opposing defense. That is laughably. Mbappe was the one defenses feared the most. He was the one getting double and triple teamed. He's the one whose speed had everyone backing off. The fact you said that statement is laughable. Once again Greizmann didn't score a single quality goal from open play. His goals were the result of penalties won by Mbappe as well as a goal keeping error by the Uruguay keeper.

Greizmann was IRRELEVANT to France's world cup success. They would have won just as easily with Dembele starting in his place.

Man, and I thought your understanding of football was poor. It appears we’re gonna have to extend that to all sports played with a ball

So Griezmann doesn't get credit for his penalty kick or his free kick that was such a dangerous ball that it went in the net?

I was looking at player grades and Pogba got a 9, so he arguably should have won man of the match, but Griezmann got an 8. Not sure what game you guys are watching. Griezmann was graded an 8 in the last 4 games of the tourney.

There’s not a single expert in the world that would rank Griezmann as a top 10 player. Mbappe is now being considered for #1. Messi and Ronaldo are about to make way for DeBruyne and Mbappe. Neymar never quite got there.

Players have said they watched tape and read about his skill set. Then when they have to defend him the say “holy sh!t.” He’s not just fast, he can pass, score and defend. He is lethal and also hustles back on defense.

There’s not a single expert in the world that would rank Griezmann as a top 10 player. Mbappe is now being considered for #1. Messi and Ronaldo are about to make way for DeBruyne and Mbappe. Neymar never quite got there.

Players have said they watched tape and read about his skill set. Then when they have to defend him the say “holy sh!t.” He’s not just fast, he can pass, score and defend. He is lethal and also hustles back on defense.

Alright let’s settle down now. Mbappe is a prodigy at 19 and has moments of brilliance and will probably be a top 3 player in the world if not the best maybe in his prime, but to say that he currently is being considered #1 in the world is an incredible stretch.

Reactions: 1 person
Alright let’s settle down now. Mbappe is a prodigy at 19 and has moments of brilliance and will probably be a top 3 player in the world if not the best maybe in his prime, but to say that he currently is being considered #1 in the world is an incredible stretch.

Nope. Not a stretch at all. He’s already among the best and he’s a teenager. He’s also clutch. Has been for 2 years. If you can’t see it I’m not sure what you’re watching. If you’ve only seen him this World Cup I get it but he’s been elite for two years at Monaco and PSG.

Nope. Not a stretch at all. He’s already among the best and he’s a teenager. He’s also clutch. Has been for 2 years. If you can’t see it I’m not sure what you’re watching. If you’ve only seen him this World Cup I get it but he’s been elite for two years at Monaco and PSG.

I’m more than aware he’s a good player and I watch soccer more than the World Cup. He is no where near overtaking Messi or Ronaldo at this point in his career.

He is very close already. You don’t think so?

No, I don’t think so.

He’s a stud and will likely be one of the best in the world in very short order. He’s a couple years out from being mentioned as taking over the best player in the world.

Before the WC nobody would have mentioned him in the same class as a lot of the top guys. He had a great World Cup and his team did well so many are prisoners of the moment imo. If his team gets knocked out in the group stage, no one is making the claim that he’s the best in the world right now.

No, I don’t think so.

He’s a stud and will likely be one of the best in the world in very short order. He’s a couple years out from being mentioned as taking over the best player in the world.

Before the WC nobody would have mentioned him in the same class as a lot of the top guys. He had a great World Cup and his team did well so many are prisoners of the moment imo. If his team gets knocked out in the group stage, no one is making the claim that he’s the best in the world right now.

Ain't that the truth. Remember James Rodriguez was supposed to take over the world after the 2014 World Cup. James is a really good player, but he didn't become the Messi or Ronaldo-like player some were foaming at the mouth about.

Mbappe is a little different though; he showed an incredible level of skill for someone who is only 19. He certainly appears to be better than Neymar was at that age and probably Ronaldo. Is he better than Messi was at 19?

VN Store

Back