'19 TN OL Melvin McBride (Tennessee signee)

This makes it sound like he’s a Vol lock

Attachments

• 7632E106-B7B5-4871-ADE9-1C6E67A3E7D2.jpg
    7632E106-B7B5-4871-ADE9-1C6E67A3E7D2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: 2 people
Don’t you just love it when you do your own evals and get the guys that will actually help you win? Tape is great, but face to face is much better.

Last edited:
“I’ve been waiting on this one for a while,” McBride said. “I kind of new they were going offer me because coach Pruitt and coach Friend are always texting me. They kept telling me how they wanted to get me down here. So when I camped, I knew I had a high chance.”

“Coach Friend said I was doing really good. I was balling out,” McBride said. "I played everything. I didn’t lose a rep. I was body slamming a few folks. Coach (Tracy) Rocker had me go against his two best d-lineman at the camp and I beat both of them. Coach Pruitt told me he wants me to be a hard commit,” he said. “They think I can really play and like me a lot.”

McBride is in no rush to make a decision, though, especially after seeing his recruitment spike this week. He holds no current leaders, but did say that Tennessee is among the schools standing out the most. “I like Louisville, Memphis and Tennessee. Those three are standing out the most,” he said.

“I’m going to take this into the season. Ever since I’ve gotten Tennessee and Florida, a lot of schools are recruiting me harder. Coach (Herb) Hand from Texas is showing a lot of love and called me yesterday about wanting to build a relationship and getting me down to Texas. Mississippi State, South Carolina. I like Florida now, too, I just have to get down there.”

-VQ

Reactions: 4 people
Hands at Texas now? He gets around.

And it’s nice to be the lead dog on all these hunts.

This guy's highlights are really impressive for it being his first year. He is going to blow up if others take notice.

Hands at Texas now? He gets around.

And it’s nice to be the lead dog on all these hunts.

The fact that this staff keeps finding guys that are reletively unknown right before they blow up with offers is a very encouraging situation. This staff is working hard,and I'm excited to see what happens.

Reactions: 2 people
Memphis teammates Melvin McBride and Cormontae Hamilton are also new names to add to the board. McBride has seen his recruitment spike after a strong spring. He’s only played a single year of varsity football, but the 6-3, 300-pound guard moves very well for an interior lineman. Tennessee, Louisville and Memphis are currently his leaders, but Florida, Arkansas and others have come calling recently, too. Hamilton is a tight end target for other schools, but Tennessee is really intrigued by his skill-set at outside linebacker.

VQ

Reactions: 3 people
I wonder about all these camps. who are they actually going up against? Seems like every week we have people coming in, with that I can't believe the consistency of the camp competition is that great.

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder about all these camps. who are they actually going up against? Seems like every week we have people coming in, with that I can't believe the consistency of the camp competition is that great.

Yeah because I doubt these coaches know how to work a kid out and evaluate talent!!!

Yeah because I doubt these coaches know how to work a kid out and evaluate talent!!!

kid was talking about beating the best. I don't know squat about who else was there. I doubt its the coaches these kids are going against to beat.

wc5uxqq5funr7z2fu0y4

Melvin McBride was one of those one-sport athletes, but thanks to Memphis Whitehaven football coach Rodney Saulsberry, McBride's now a highly sought after offensive lineman. McBride, 6-4, 318 pounds, played basketball exclusively until Saulsberry convinced him to switch to football. He's gone from no scholarship offers in basketball to 18 offers in football...after playing only one season. "Coach Saulsberry got me out there, and I started, and it went from there," McBride said. "I thank him for everything. I wouldn't be here without him."

...He started working out with the football team in the spring of his sophomore year. He has a 350 pound bench press, 600 squat and a 305 power clean. "I started lifting weights in the 10th grade," McBride said. "I was already naturally strong. I developed when I started lifting."

Saulsberry marvels at McBride's talent. "The biggest thing is extreme upside and athleticism," Saulsberry said. "For a young man at that size, to be so athletic and physically fit, it's truly a sight to behold." McBride is a "sponge for knowledge," Saulsberry said. "Extremely coachable kid and you would never know by watching his film he only has one year experience of playing football," Saulsberry said.

The Recruiting Guy: Switch to football nets more offers

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back