Game Thread Lady Vols Softball NCAA Super REGIONALS

McClain is a SR. She's gone.

So is Megan and Scarlett. Someone said Scarlett quit the team. She had multiple chances throughout her career and sucked it up. I hope she was ill and did not quit. First team SEC should not do such but if she was pissed because she did not play in the first game at Georgia I half way understand with the lefty pitching and Ralph starting of all people Hailey Bearden as the DP!!! JMHO

The next time anyone insinuates our pitchers have a head problem, and it’s 100% on the player, remember what happened today.

Fair observations, but it was our AA who hit into a bases loaded double play.

She is like everyone else she is not perfect, but I darn well bet we will miss her dearly next year. pitchers will be a year older and a new one coming in with potential according to others but our HR rbi production will be way down I think.:bad:

Reactions: 2 people
According to Scarlet’s Mother’s Facebook post, Scarlet had been the Weekly’s verbal punching bag for 4 years and she could not take it anymore. I 100% believe this to be true. I seen the hateful glares Karen would give her. I thought Ralph was a little nicer but I guess not.

Reactions: 1 person
According to Scarlet’s Mother’s Facebook post, Scarlet had been the Weekly’s verbal punching bag for 4 years and she could not take it anymore. I 100% believe this to be true. I seen the hateful glares Karen would give her. I thought Ralph was a little nicer but I guess not.

Was there any indication if she even made the trip to Athens?? Very well may have been true, I had also heard last year I think that SM biggest problem was her father trying to tell her what to correct with her hitting and basically taking the Weekly's out of the picture. This may or may not be true as well but I really think to taken so much if that is the case, she still quit on her team with the SRs coming up and who knows what. Will be labeled a quitter by many!:frown:

Last edited:
Who will take over shortstop? Do we have someone already on the team or is there a new kid coming in for the position?

I am not an insider but I had heard which again may or may not be true that Savannah Huffstadler will have it to lose. She RS this year due to an injury I think. Would love for a true freshman to have those skills like MG did when MS left.:)

Was there any indication if she even made the trip to Athens?? Very well may have been true, I had also heard last year I think that SM biggest problem was her father trying to tell her what to correct with her hitting and basically taking the Weekly's out of the picture. This may or may not be true as well but I really think to taken so much if that is the case, she still quit on her team with the SRs coming up and who knows what. Will be labeled a quitter by many!:frown:

She did not make the trip.

It saddens my heart that she was treated so poorly. I seen the icy stares Karen gave her sometimes. It always seemed to be that she was trying so hard.

I will be the first to admit that SM was one of my favorites as well as one that I was critical of many times. I thought she had the talent but struggled big time at the plate especially with pitch selection and the strike outs. I think it was last year that she found out she needed glasses and wore them the best I remember most if not all year had it seemed she did better. This year I guess she went to the contacts. The coaches may have rode her like a government mule because they saw the talent and all kids have different buttons to push to get a response. I will also say they gave her more than plenty of opportunities to play her way in the starting line up which she did this year regularly. I think they were fair in that respect. I guess just the lateness of it all and the way it went down is what I hate the most. If she took it 99.9% of her time while there the exit sucks. I wish her the best!

I know MDs dad was a poster on here while she was playing or not playing much. He had strong feeling about her situation but I honestly do not know the jest of what was happening. I have coached high school baseball, state champs softball and runner up one year and other sports. In most cases I assure you that the parents are the biggest problems for all coaches. They and I think rightfully so are only concerned about their son or daughter and do not get or accept the team aspect of athletics. We are treated like kings or queens by some and despised by others. If you cant take the heat you cannot be a coach. JMHO

Reactions: 4 people

I don't know if that's true or not, but if she's too soft for that she'd better stay away from message boards.

Reactions: 3 people
Hasn’t there been others that have spoken out about the treatment by the Weekly’s? I can’t swear to this but didn’t Melissa Davin have problems with them also?

The list is quite lengthy over the years. I think they may have mellowed in recent years. The list of transfers used to be quite long but has shortened quite a bit recently. But they aren't easy coaches to play for, for sure. The Abbott years saw many transfers. Some players leave for more playing time, some leave because they want to be closer to home (or a mixture of the two), but some have definitely left because they didn't like how they were coached or treated, including some very good players. WTBS, the list of transfers that have actually been successful after UT is extremely short, and the ones that had a lot of success were walk-ons at UT (i.e. Andi Williamson, Jen Lapicki and Leah Taylor).

But yes, Davin's dad used to complain constantly about the coaches and especially Ralph, and also complained about Davin's position. She was recruited to play the corners but wound up playing mostly OF her last two seasons and played a lot of DP her first year, as Chavanne had 3B locked up and Tarango could only play 1st, pitcher and DP. At one point he said they were thinking of trying her at catcher. It was really more of a testament to her athletic ability and versatility. She was in the mold of a Lexi Overstreet or Scarlet McSwain defensively, but he whined about it. He has some jealousy issues, though. He threw several other players under the bus in private conversations and clearly had an ax to grind, but with him being from California he was getting his information through the lens of his daughter. Davin stayed four years, though, and was very talented. Couldn't have been THAT bad because she could've easily found a roster spot at a good program. I believe he said Davin was on a full scholarship, too, which aren't too common for softball players.

There's two sides to every story, though. Jessica Spigner's dad told me that the Weeklys treated her horribly but according to two other parents from players on that team, including an AA player, nobody else felt that way and they all agreed with her dismissal. That same parent also said you'd rather have Ralph on your rear end than Karen because she's very much the hard ass out of the two. (For the record, he also said Davin's situation was overblown by her father. But he was a very hands off parent and his daughter had thick skin because he didn't pump sunshine up her butt growing up playing ball. IOW, he let the coaches do their jobs.)

There have also been a lot of meddling parents over the years. It's a big problem in baseball and softball. And it seems it's worse with the in-state kids. Shelby Burchell's dad was very meddlesome and Cat Hosfield's mom was a nightmare. I don't think the Weeklys are perfect coaches but it doesn't help when you have parents who think they can do your job better than you can. I do wish Karen would take over pitching coaching duties and we would replace Marty with a real hitting coach.

Reactions: 6 people

Hateful glares? Perish the thought! Thin skins abound. :whistling: :mf_surrender:

Reactions: 3 people
Wow. Another bitter disappointment from the Lady Vols. Season started with such promise..with the big winning streak but just like the LV basketball team.....faltered at the end. Can't win em all...but it'd be nice to see a LV squad..either basketball or softball actually EXCEED expectations. I guess that's the where the disappointment with these squads is. UNDER performing year after year with Holly...and now under the Weekly's.

VN Store

Back