'20 TN DL Marcus Henderson

'19 & '20 OL classes have a real chance to be something we haven't seen in a very long time. Especially with instate kids in '20.

Just caught up with 2020 OL Marcus Henderson...

The Memphis native spent two nights in Knoxville this weekend. Called the visit the best one yet. Has also seen Ole Miss, Mizzou, Mississippi State and Memphis.

Henderson basically got a mini-OV this weekend, spending a ton of 1-on-1 time with the staff and former MUS alum Drew Richmond. He said his parents liked Will Friend and he appreciated Jeremy Pruitt's candor and honesty.

This was one quote that really stuck out about Pruitt: "He was very straightforward and honest. He told us straight up that Tennessee is not good right now, but that’s why he’s here to change the culture and turn it back into the winning team that it once was. He wasn’t trying to sell me or my family that Tennessee is going to be some best team next year."

- Simonton

“It went really good. My parents enjoyed it, I enjoyed it, and we’re definitely looking forward to going back,” said Henderson, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 78 overall prospect and No. 13 offensive tackle in the 2020 class and the No. 4 sophomore from Tennessee.

“They did a lot of one-on-one stuff with just me and my parents, so that kind of stuck out,” he said. “We had kind of scheduled it like that. That’s why I didn’t go to the spring game, because I didn’t really want to be, like, just one out of every other recruit so you don’t really get to talk to the coaches that much and build that bond.

“I basically spent time with, like, every coach on the staff. They were all just telling me how Memphis has the best Class of 2020 prospects in the state, and how, if they get all of us up there, we could rebuild Tennessee and bring national championships up there.”

Pruitt, offensive line coach Will Friend, running backs coach Chris Weinke, wide receivers coach David Johnson and Patrick Abernathy, who works in player development for the Vols, were among the members of Tennessee’s staff who talked extensively with Henderson. He said Pruitt and Friend “told me I’m athletic enough to play basically anywhere on the O-line.”

Meeting face-to-face with Pruitt made a strong impression on Henderson. “I just feel like he’s going to keep it real with you,” Henderson said. “There’s nothing that he’s going to hide. I definitely get the impression that the program is going to succeed and bring more wins to Tennessee football and bring it back to what it used to be. “He told me he wants to change the culture back to what it used to be back when they were a winning team. He said that was his first goal. I definitely feel like it’s going in the right direction, and they’re building something special there.”

Henderson also said Drew Richmond really wants him to go to UT and he spoke very highly of Pruitt and staff.

Henderson also said Drew Richmond really wants him to go to UT and he spoke very highly of Pruitt and staff.

That’s beyond exciting. Richmond has every physical tool to be successful. If he’s actively recruiting then hopefully it means he’s motivated and ready to ball out.

Yep. I hope our coaches keep working to build that relationship because you could very well be right.

all LSU needs is a push to go off the cliff. they have enough talent to keep that from happening. but they have the potential to be an epic fail.

I still can't believe they sacked Miles to end up hiring Orgeron...

no kidding i know we get a real hard time about our coach search, and maybe rightfully so on some level.

but you can't convince me that LSU fans are down there like "man, why didn't we do that?".

:)

Marcus Henderson III has visited Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Memphis and Missouri early in his recruitment, but the rising 2020 offensive tackle from Memphis University School called his two-day trip to Tennessee over the weekend “the best visit I’d been on before.” The 6-foot-5, 300-pound lineman had his own mini-faux official visit with the Vols, getting a ton of intimate time with Tennessee’s staff Saturday.

“The coaches devoted the whole day to me and my family. I spent some time with the players, mainly Drew Richmond. I got to hang out with him and he got to show me what college life is like and how things go at Tennessee,” said Henderson, whose offer list already includes UT, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss and LSU. “They took all that time out just to make it a real 1-on-1 visit for me. It was a great.”

Henderson enjoyed bonding with Richmond, a fellow former standout at MUS. The rising junior said Tennessee’s left tackle delivered some brotherly advice about new head coach Jeremy Pruitt. “Drew told me that he really likes the new staff, that coach Pruitt is really straightforward,” Henderson recalled. “He’s completely honest with you. If he said if coach thinks that you suck, he’s going to tell you suck and that just means how much harder you have to work. Nothing is going to be given to you there.”

Henderson enjoyed checking out Tennessee’s facilities and taking pictures in the uniforms, but his conversations with the staff left the biggest impact on him and his family. Henderson made “a good connection” with OL coach Will Friend, adding, “my parents really liked him.” He had fun bowling with David Johnson and Chris Weinke, who he called a ringer, too.

Pruitt was “very straightforward and honest,” with Henderson saying, “He told us straight up that Tennessee is not good right now, but that’s why he’s here to change the culture and turn it back into the winning team that it once was. He wasn’t trying to sell me or my family that Tennessee is going to be some best team next year.”

Under the new staff, the Vols are aiming to build a Memphis-to-Rocky Top pipeline. Tennessee signed Jerome Carvin and Jeremy Banks from the area for the 2018 class, and Henderson is a among a slew of top targets — OL Chris Morris, OL/DL Omari Thomas, WR Darin Turner — from Memphis in 2020. “They definitely brought that up,” Henderson said. “They compared us to that (2014) class after Tennessee started to get good again and they just brought in a whole bunch of recruits from in-state. Pruitt said 2019 is alright, but our class is going to be the one that changes Tennessee football’s history.”

-VQ

The rising junior at Memphis University School, who is ranked the No. 80 overall player, No. 13 offensive tackle prospect and the No. 5 player in the state of Tennessee by 247Sports, visited Tennessee the weekend after the Vols wrapped up spring practice, and Henderson was impressed by the specialized attention he received from head coach Jeremy Pruitt, offensive line coach Will Friend and the entire coaching staff.

"It was just a day where me and my family can get up there and talk to them," Henderson told GoVols247 last week. "Just the fact that they took the whole day to communicate with me and my family and show us around, like that they devoted all that time to us, and then like showed us around the campus, they just treated us good. "The love that they're showing is outstanding pretty much right now."

"He's very true to you," Henderson said of Pruitt. "He won't tell you one thing and come back and do another way. He's straightforward. He's going to tell you how it is. When I was there, he told me, 'Tennessee wasn't very good right now.' He said he's trying to change the culture and make Tennessee great again. I thought that was pretty cool. "(Friend) was kind of chill talking to me and explaining what he likes to do and what he thought about me, and I just got to know him a little bit."

Henderson said his dad likes Harbaugh and Michigan but he grew up loving OSU "so it's like the clash". And schools recruiting him the hardest are...Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss and Mississippi State.

VN Store

Back