'19 TN DE Joseph Anderson (SC signee)

Saw where Michigan offered him yesterday.

In the last few weeks, Joseph Anderson has picked up offers from Big Ten blue-bloods Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. Tennessee and Notre Dame are also hot for the 2019 Siegel defensive end. Anderson, soft-spoken and humble, grins when asked about all the recent attention, saying, “I’m just blessed getting those looks this early at my age. I just keep working like I don’t even have offers. But it’s big. I have big interest in those schools.” “I’m just taking my time,” he said. “I’m just cruising right now. I’m waiting until my senior year to make a decision. I’m going to let things play out right now.”

Anderson has visited Tennessee multiple times in the last year, including a recent trip for the spring game. He got a chance to meet new defensive line coach Brady Hoke and build on his relationship with area recruiter Walt Wells. “I like UT. I like the coaching staff,” he said. “I like the facilities and the atmosphere every time I go down there. I feel like I’m home. It’s a place where I could see myself playing at in the future.”

At Siegel, Anderson hopes to be a centerpiece of the Stars’ rebuild under new coach Michael Copley. The 6-foot-4, 265-pound pass rusher is cross-training at defensive end and outside linebacker, and he'll play a little tight end on offense, too. “I’m athletic. I can move well,” Anderson explained. “It may translate to college, so I think it’s preparing me for that.”

He’s good friends with fellow 2019 prospects Adonis Otey, a recent Vols commit, and Tennessee legacy Jackson Lampley, a 4-star offensive lineman at Montgomery Bell Academy. “It’s great because they’re getting the same attention that I am, so I ask them questions and stuff. ‘How recruiting is going?” Anderson said about leaning on friends like Otey and Jackson. “It helps me out too as well because those guys are getting a lot of attention as well."

For now, Anderson is simply weighing his options. He doesn’t have any “top schools,” but admits the Vols are certainly high on his list. Rarely a day goes by when he doesn’t get the same message from a member of UT’s staff. “They want me to play for them because I’m an in-state kid, so I take to most of it and I listen to them,” he said. “We’ll see how things go.”

-VQ

Reactions: 7 people
This NPA kid is a hard worker that very seldom gets frustrated and uses his long arms to give OTs a hard time. Really young and raw but has a very high ceiling and upside. Plays smart and aggressive, but is a very mellow young man.

Must get. We need to start getting some difference makers / pass rushers at DE. That is one area we've done a really poor job recruiting at since the 2015 class.

Reactions: 1 person
Must get. We need to start getting some difference makers / pass rushers at DE. That is one area we've done a really poor job recruiting at since the 2015 class.

Sounds like we are on our way there. I like the fact that he said he was good friends with Otey and Lampley(who is likely going to be a vol).

Sounds like we are on our way there. I like the fact that he said he was good friends with Otey and Lampley(who is likely going to be a vol).

Yeah I have to think we are in solid shape with him. Plus, it's not hard to see that any DE is going to have a great opportunity of getting immediate PT if he chooses Tennessee.

Getting Jordan Davis would be amazing, but it seems like a massive longshot at best.

To me, this guy looks like a great fit to fill out more and become a 5 Tech in Pruitt's system. Strong at the point of attack and has the frame to carry 280+.

I think there was a quote in another thread recently listing early priorities the coaches have been reaching out to for the 2019 class, and this guy was one of them.

Blows my mind that Tennessee has 18 four star players in the state for 2019. Likely that at least a few will gain that fifth star or will get close. Build that wall Pruitt.

Recruiting Wrap: Notre Dame, Tennessee and South Carolina are among the schools heavily in the mix for Anderson.

Performance: Anderson has dropped some weight since finishing his junior season and it's already paying major dividends as he looked much quicker and agile while working through drills. Ranked as a defensive tackle, it's looking more like Anderson could play end as well. That type of versatility is while colleges with different types of defensive fronts like his skillset and will continue to pursue him.

-Woody

murfreesboro (tenn.) siegel top247 2019 defensive end joseph anderson tells 247sports he'll visit tennessee next weekend.

It will be his first time in knoxville since the new staff was hired, but his relationships with jeremy pruitt and company go back to when they were at other schools.

247sports ranks anderson as the no. 2 prospect in the state, the nation's no. 8 strong-side defensive end and no. 56 prospect overall.

Anderson says notre dame and south carolina are the two currently standing out the most.

VN Store

Back