Carlin fils-aime to DB? [confirmed]

Has CFA ever played CB? If not, I really cannot see how that kind of change would work. I mean Byrd played some WR in HS, so that switch wasnt as extreme.

Maybe they are just hoping to coach him up to serviceable. As others have said, I don't believe this kid has the size the staff wants at RB. They can always put him back at rb if the need is there. Then again, I honestly don't know how much, if any bigger that Ty Chandler is over CFA. Could be a bum theory.

I like the idea of moving players around in the spring. I believe our last coaching staff could have done more of that. Being able to play multiple positions is a plus. We need to develop some depth and not just throw our hands up when we haven’t. At this point, I’m going with the flow of our coaching staff. Performance on the field this fall and a series of wins will be the true measure of this team and coaching staff.

Reactions: 1 person
I like the idea of moving players around in the spring. I believe our last coaching staff could have done more of that. Being able to play multiple positions is a plus. We need to develop some depth and not just throw our hands up when we haven’t. At this point, I’m going with the flow of our coaching staff. Performance on the field this fall and a series of wins will be the true measure of this team and coaching staff.

I like moving them to their natural positions as well.

Jones made some of the most head-scratching moves when he was here.

Byrd excelled as a DB before Tennessee. Fils-Aime excelled as a RB before Tennessee. Byrd was a non-factor at WR the past two seasons. When given carries Fils-Aimes showed SOMETHING. End of the mystery.

Plus WR depth is much better than what we have at running back much more expendable.

Has CFA ever played CB? If not, I really cannot see how that kind of change would work. I mean Byrd played some WR in HS, so that switch wasnt as extreme.

I'm curious as to the thought also, but I realize it's a move butch would never make and we have seen his player development. So, I am going to trust the coaches and their evaluations as to their system until proven otherwise.

you do realize that most of the best safeties and linebackers in UT history were converted HS RB's.. J/S

Byrd has had just as much impact (if not more) at UT the past 2 years as CFA has had at rb. Byrd has accounted for 318 yards and 1td while VFA has accounted for 291 and 4td's when you account for difference in position the numbers are comparable.

My point is if either one can contribute more at DB its a good thing and a good move. If CFA/coaches are wanting to move him they must know something about depth we don't.

Personally I think both serve us better on offense. Byrds production last year is more a reflection of the mess we had with the passing game than personal imo. I still think the death of Butch Jones was JJ getting hurt. Him being gone killed the offense.

I'm just not sure how many carries a 185 Pound RB would get in a much more physical type offense. I'd be shocked if CFA was still a RB by time the Spring Game comes around. Even more so with RB being a position that JP is looking to add through a grad transfer. He could even end up an attrition casualty and prefer to play in a spread type offense. There's definitely roster changes coming, just a matter of how many and who.

Would probably develop into a good nickel.

RBs are usually the best athletes on the field.

He'll never start a game at RB.
Move him to where he can contribute.

Reactions: 4 people
I (obviously) defer to the staff but I'm not sure I think this move will work out.

First off, idk if CFA has any experience playing defense, let alone corner. Second, I want to say the knock on him is he doesn't quite have the "wiggle" or short area quickness to be a great back. Seems that lacking would also affect him as a CB or NB.

Lastly, IIRC he did average something like 6ypc against Kentucky, which was about the only time he got 10 plus carries in a game. Now, obviously he wouldn't have that kind of success against the UA/AU/UGA's on the schedule. However, you could leave him at RB and let him rack up 10 or so carries against the Charlotte and ETSU's on the schedule while saving tread on Chandlers/Banks/maybe Fullers tires. Giving them the lions share in those games.

Again, I trust this staff, especially when it comes to the secondary. If they think CFA can make the move, then it might be the best thing for him if he's receptive to the idea. Or he might end up transferring.

I'll really be looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

I hope not. I thought he was real solid as a RB. Especially for a backup.

I think he is a good RB, but we have more RBs than we have CB who can play. I think if he can be # 2 at as a DB, we improve the strength of the team. Smart to give him a try if he plays more at DB.

CFA would be a good corner... has good speed and a hip move as a RB that would translate... He's a bit light in the ash to play at RB in the SEC.

I'll be sure to relay all concerns about this to Pruitt when he calls me to get my input on the situation.

Wait...

Yeah let me get a spicy chicken sandwich with a side of large waffle fries please.

They discontinued the spicy chicken sandwich for the grilled variety. :yuck: Just get extra Texas Pete packs.

Looks like a case of the coaches trying to get the best players on the field.
And I suspect that the players like that as well. Maybe like when JJ moved from QB to WR.
And the running backs position seems well stocked.
I like it.

Looks like a case of the coaches trying to get the best players on the field.
And I suspect that the players like that as well. Maybe like when JJ moved from QB to WR.
And the running backs position seems well stocked.
I like it.

Also shows that are DB recruiting has been horrible

VN Store

Back