'19 AL OL Clay Webb

From Rivals:

Clay Webb

Early contenders: Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson among others

Breakdown: As a five-star from the state of Alabama, it’s not surprise that an Iron Bowl battle between Alabama and Auburn for Webb’s services is fully underway. But Georgia and Clemson are also in the mix and Webb recently named the quartet of schools as his top four. Can the Bulldogs or Tigers actually steal him away from the in-state powers? It’s an uphill battle for sure. Don’t expect Webb to drag his recruitment out for long, with a decision likely to come by mid-summer.

“Alabama, Auburn, definitely Tennessee now, Florida — there’s a couple different schools I’m keeping a close eye on,” said Webb, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 11 overall prospect and No. 1 center and the No. 1 player from the state of Alabama in the 247Sports Composite for the 2019 class.

“They invited me to come up there, and I’ve been meaning to check out some more schools, so it just kind of worked out perfectly like that,” Webb said. Tennessee made a good first impression on him while he was there. “It looks like they’ve got a really good coaching staff coming up there, and I feel like they’re starting to get Tennessee back to the way it was,” he said. “It seems like a good place. They’re trying to get good things going on over there, and I’ll just have to check out what happens this year.”

“Their offensive line coach was telling me he needs some offensive linemen in there,” Webb said. “They’re kind of short on linemen, too, so he needs to get a little bit of depth to fill up the ranks. It’s a good opportunity to make Tennessee a great team again. “I hung out with Coach Friend all day. He was pretty cool. I feel like he’d be a good coach.”

He said he doesn’t know when he might visit Tennessee again, but there’s a good chance he’ll return to Knoxville at some point. “I’m not sure,” Webb said. “I probably will, though.”

Webb says he probably won't make a commitment until after the season.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm so tired of seeing recruits say, "They are starting to get Tennessee back to where it was" or something of the sort. Ready to be a dominant force again.

I'm so tired of seeing recruits say, "They are starting to get Tennessee back to where it was" or something of the sort. Ready to be a dominant force again.

I had the exact same thought reading these interviews the last couple of days. Recruits have been saying that for far too long.

You realize we have been irrelvant for a decade right?

Yeah, that's the point. We've been irrelevant for too long. Hence we've been hearing recruits say this for too long. I want to get back to the days of recruits saying they like UT because they know that if they come here they will have a chance to win a championship. We haven't heard that type of talk in a long time.

Reactions: 1 person
Webb is a stud. Going to be hard for any team to pull him away from Bama and Auburn. His good friend Quick is going to Bama. He likes the "family" feel at Auburn. Says being at Auburn feels like he's playing in his back yard. His interest in Georgia partly comes from his uncle and grand parents living in Georgia and being UGA fans; plus he loves Pittman and Chaney (his words not mine). He's on track to early enroll and plans to wait until later in the year to decide. It's probably Bama and Auburn 1A and 1B; and then everyone else.

of the big-name visitors last weekend, it was huge that tennessee even got clay webb on campus. The 5-star ol from oxford, ala., is considered by some a lock to stay in-state and play for either alabama or auburn, but webb is taking a very open approach to his recruiting process. He’s visited georgia, clemson, uf and others in the last year, and now the vols are in the mix for the nation’s no. 12 overall prospect. Make no mistake, tennessee’s depth chart is its biggest selling point for webb, who plans to return to knoxville again in the fall. It may be a longshot, but tennessee is going to take a big swing here.

- vq

Reactions: 3 people
Chad Simmons video interview at rivals camp...Interesting guy, loves to read sci fi and history books, building with legos, loves running, a wrestler. Seems like a great kid, really smart. Top schools...instate...Auburn is very family oriented, Bama is very business like he said. UGA...I like the OL coach a lot. Tennessee...I enjoyed my visit a lot, very warm welcome there, I enjoyed talking with the coaches. Plans to sign early in December and be EE.

Reactions: 1 person
We need a mauler at Center.....After Watching Coleman Thomas get destroyed by a NT and 10K beers its our turn to land a great player at that position.

Would be fantastic. Getting serious interest from five 5 star athletes gets me pretty damn excited about the near future.

FirmWhisperedChupacabra-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back