Five-star SG Anfernee Simons visiting this weekend

With the recent development that he is simply looking for a 1st round guarantee, I'd prefer we shift our focus and heavily pursue Tyler Harris. Simons is the better player and will have the much larger impact on next year's team, but the possibility of him dragging this into May/June and merely wanting a 1st round grade makes me think he just wants an excuse to jump. I thought he'd want a lottery guarantee to jump, because I think he has that kind of talent.

With the recent development that he is simply looking for a 1st round guarantee, I'd prefer we shift our focus and heavily pursue Tyler Harris. Simons is the better player and will have the much larger impact on next year's team, but the possibility of him dragging this into May/June and merely wanting a 1st round grade makes me think he just wants an excuse to jump. I thought he'd want a lottery guarantee to jump, because I think he has that kind of talent.

I agree...push for Harris and if you have a spot open in May/June and he wants to go the college route then great.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree...push for Harris and if you have a spot open in May/June and he wants to go the college route then great.

According to Meyer of 247. That is starting to look like the plan now. He stated again we are pursuing both heavily. Like as in another spot will open up

According to Meyer of 247. That is starting to look like the plan now. He stated again we are pursuing both heavily. Like as in another spot will open up

My guess is they don’t know another spot is going to open up, but they know it’s going to be May/June before Simons decides and they can’t whiff on both...so they try to land Harris now and come June if someone has left and they have a spot open and Simons wants to go the college route then we will have a spot and have stayed in contact...if he elects to go to the NBA and we have a spot then I would expect we would go the graduate transfer route.

My guess is they don’t know another spot is going to open up, but they know it’s going to be May/June before Simons decides and they can’t whiff on both...so they try to land Harris now and come June if someone has left and they have a spot open and Simons wants to go the college route then we will have a spot and have stayed in contact...if he elects to go to the NBA and we have a spot then I would expect we would go the graduate transfer route.

I agree with this.

Anfernee Simons is one of the most dissected high school prospects in recent years as the five-star prospect out of IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) has the chance to forge a non-traditional path by forgoing his college eligibility and jumping straight to this June’s NBA Draft. A year removed from his high school’s graduation and of the appropriate age, Simons has the opportunity to earn millions this summer or instead, play for a college program of his choosing.

He has agreed to take part in a weekly journal for Rivals.com, discussing his life at IMG Academy, his future on the hardwood and much more.

What’s up, guys? This is Anfernee Simons, here for my first journal entry for Rivals.com. I am excited to take you guys with me on my journey up until my final decision for the NBA Draft.

Everything has been going well lately at IMG. Every day, we wake up and go lift weights around 10 and then we have practice around 2, so everything is pretty much a strict schedule. I like it a lot because it lets me focus every day on my goals in life instead of having outside distractions.

It has been pretty different since it is my first time away from home. It is helping me with my independence and being able to take care of myself without my parents being there.

They have four gyms here, which is something that I really like, so you can go in and play and work out whenever you really want.

I have just been trying to get better every day and I am not really trying to focus on the NBA, but it has been on my mind since I want to get to that point. I use it as fuel to get better every day.

This weekend I am going to NC State. I am excited to just see what they do every day. They play North Carolina on Saturday. It should be a pretty good game.

A lot of others schools are talking to me, too. Florida, NC State, Tennessee, Minnesota, Dayton, FGCU, Arizona State, Florida State, Georgetown, Boston College, UCF and many others.

I haven’t really focused on the NBA much. I am just trying to finish out my prep season on a good note, get better every day, and really help us get to the prep school national championship. I want to end the season without losing so we can make the tournament.

My mindset hasn’t changed from before. I was trying to get scholarship offers for college but now I am just trying to show the NBA who I am as a person and as a player and if I do that, I am going to be all right.

People have told me they think that I am an explosive guard that can score and shoot and they want someone that can do stuff like that. I think being so young really intrigues them the most.

The process might be a little drawn out. Even if I go to college, I probably won’t get there until the summer, most likely, after the deadline. I honestly won’t commit until it comes to decide in May.

For me, it is going to be about the feedback that I get from what people are telling me. I am just hoping that I can get some workouts with some NBA teams and most likely I will make my decision sometime in the spring after I train and get my workouts in and get ready for the combine. I don’t know where I am going to train yet.

That’s about it for now but I hope you all enjoyed my first entry.

See you guys next time.

-Rivals

Full court press. Don’t see how you could watch these last few games and not want to be at UT. Press, and make him tell you no. Repeatedly lol

Have a hard time drawing that conclusion just form that generic blog post

The kid is dead set on going pro if he can. Pretty obvious.

We are in a good spot though. We can sign someone else and if there's attrition we still have a spot for him.

But reading between the lines he is not looking to go to college. His mindset is clearly on the NBA.

I think most would if you can get picked high enough. The big question is how high?

Have a hard time drawing that conclusion just form that generic blog post

It would definitely appear though that he’s becoming more and more likely to go that route...previously most thought he would want a lottery guarantee, now if slunds like he just wants a 1st round promise and that is pretty likely to happen.

I think most would if you can get picked high enough. The big question is how high?

My hope was that he'd want to go lottery if he left, but based on an article from last week sometime, it appears he's just looming for a 1st rd guarantee. I think he'll get that, so I believe there's about an 80% Or better chance he goes pro.

It would definitely appear though that he’s becoming more and more likely to go that route...previously most thought he would want a lottery guarantee, now if slunds like he just wants a 1st round promise and that is pretty likely to happen.

I think he has already mind up he is going and the only reason he hasn't said so is to keep his options open just in case.

We would make room for Simons. C'mon now.

I don't want anybody run off. That's bad for team chemistry unless they've not bought in and have been a pain in the butt. But I don't see anybody like that. If somebody's parents won a secret lottery and they decided to walk-on, that'd be okay.

VN Store

Back